DVD Decryptor - DVD Shrink - Nero

DVD Decryptor - DVD Shrink - Nero

I have read in your forums on a number of occasions that this is the best combination for making DVD “copies”

I’ve tried it a few times and, yes, it works great (as long as the compression ratio is not excessive).

HOWEVER: it leaves me with an obvious question. Since DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink both rip a DVD to the HD, why use DVD Decryptor at all?

Is it better, more accurate, more reliable???

Many thanks for the forum and your willingness to answer dumb questions

Regards John :confused:

Good question. I never use dvddecrytor myself whenn it comes to general ripping. But there are "SOME"problem dvd’s that i’ve encountered and Decrytor seems to rip them while DVDShrink cannot… Go figure.

mr webb i would recommend dvd shrink. i have ripped many a dvd with it with no problems. the only thing i would advise is go to w**.dvdshrink.org and check out some of the links to forums for help…

All DVD’s thus far have CSS copy potection on them.

The whole point of DVD Decrypter is to decode the DVD.

Try CloneDVD/AnyDVD if you want (free trial period)

Ssseth,
DVDShrink decrypts encrypted DVD’s so there’s really no reason for using DVDDecryptor in usuall situations. In fact now that DVDShrink can also use Nero burning engine as a plug in you really don’t need any other program for burning movies. DVDShrink has become an all in one :bow:

OK folks, I think that I have got the message now, thanks.

It would seem that now DVD Shrink has “grown up” it now has incorporated all that is needed to do the job.

Thanks to all
John

It’s really a matter of getting the right tools in your chest and playing with them Mr.Webb.

Opinions are all over the place and your going to find purists saying one app is a killer over another…yadda yadda.

Truth is, in most cases, dvdshrink in conjunction with nero will give you good results if your comfortable with that combo.

Other apps do just as well, some argue even better.

The important thing to wind up with is a backup you can watch on the device of your choice, of high enough quality that your happy with it…:slight_smile:

Removing css and macrovision, as well as region code are important to me, and most apps discussed here…free or pay, offer you a way to get there…

I would suggest you load up on the freewares out there and try them all, and keep them handy…as they may not be available in the future…:slight_smile:

unless something has changed since the last time I used DVDShrink, the only movie I have problems reading using the software was Street Fighter Alpha. DVDShrink kept giving me an error message when scanning the disc. This was a few versions back so I haven’t test again to see if they’ve taken care of the problem. That’s when I had to use DVD Decryptor.

It has been suggested to me by a friend that by using DVD Decrypter to rip the movie first and then doing the compression magic with DVDShrink can actually prolong the life of your DVD burner. As the ripping process is faster when done as a ‘stand alone’ operation, the drive is in operation for a shorter period so, in theory, should live for longer.

I can see the logic.

If by drive…you mean burner, the best way to do this is by doing the actual “ripping” from a dvd-rom if you have that option in the case. DVD-roms are cheap enough now “under $40 usd in alot of mags”. Then your only using your burner to do what it’s supposed to do…burn. Other benefits report in threads here, this approach is faster rips, more stable rips…for DVD’s.

Game discs however can be notoriously picky about the drive you use to rip them from…Liteon burners have a really good reputation here for this type of project…:slight_smile:

It has been suggested to me by a friend that by using DVD Decrypter to rip the movie first and then doing the compression magic with DVDShrink can actually prolong the life of your DVD burner

In either case though…unless your ripping and burning several discs a day…not sure this approach buys you much in the way of extending your burners life.

re: As the ripping process is faster when done as a ‘stand alone’ operation, the drive is in operation for a shorter period so, in theory, should live for longer.

In theory that is, of course, the case.
However, it is also true that if your 4X DVD burner lasts for all of 18 months, it will be so obsolete that you won’t be using it anyway.

Do you remember 2X cd burners? Wasn’t that long ago :wink:

I wonder how this thread go so side-tracked fom my original post??? LOL

Regards
John

:slight_smile: Yes, this thread does seem to have been derailed…think we forgot it was yours…LOL

Truth is…it’s tribalism…dvddecrypter is a great ripper…period…that can plug into a burner and produce a working DVD

DVDshrink is a great transcoder that happens to rip really well…and can plug into a burner to produce a working DVD…:slight_smile:

Both have features / benifits unique…my best advice is keep both handy…use what works best for you and your hardware…and keep the other, for situations your favorite can’t quite handle…

While I think the ripping portion is pretty even both programs…manipulating the end file with dvdshrink make it a winner for me…:slight_smile: