DVD Decrypter verifying, OKing then refusing to rip same disc!

I’ve had this happen quite a few times now, most recently with The Davinci Code.

I burned the image with DVD Decrypter, had it verified with it too. I decided to make an extra copy after I’d erased the files so thought it far easier to copy the copy. It got to 75% and started having read errors on the freshly burned copy which was verified as being OK, and had to give up ripping it in the end. WTF? How can I even know that a copy is kosher if this happens?

They’re bloody Verbatims as well!

If you’re copying from a copy, just do a straight disc-to-disc copy in Nero. Should work fine, has done for me when I haven’t wanted to rip the movie again. :slight_smile:

If it doesn’t, I’d say either you have a very picky reader, or some Verbs that aren’t so good quality wise, there’s been a lot of talk about quality variation recently.

Do you have a drive that you can use to do a quality scan on the Verbie? Maybe a LiteOn or a BenQ.

I tried Nero too. yes I’ve had quite a few Verb coasters recently BUT the verification said it was OK initially. WTF is that all about?

Yes, it’s a Lite-On. I have DVD Identifier and stuff. What do I need to do?

Maybe the disc has decayed already… or after burning it was fine but … something went wrong.

In order to see what the disc’s media code is, open DVDIdentifier and pop the disc in. Then copy the mediacode to clipboard and paste it in so we can see what media you’re using [however, the mediacode can be faked, so if you’ve got fakes then that might be the reason].

If you have a Lite-On drive - please pop that disc in the drive and open Nero CD-Speed from the toolkit - or download the latest version from http://www.cdspeed2000.com Then select your drive, disc quality tab for the test.

If you’re drive is a 5s or a 6s drive [last 2 in model number] scan at 8x [so select the speed from the dropdown box and hit start]. If your drive is a 1s 2s 3s drive, select 4x. Then when it’s done, you get a dialog of results which you should click the save button [near the minimise] to save a screenshot … close results … then click the save button for the graph - then upload them here to give us an idea what you’re dealing with :slight_smile:

Download CD-DVD Speed, and put one of the burned discs in.

Go to the “Disc Quality” tab, and set the scan speed to 4x if you have a 3S drive, or 8x if you have a 5S/6S drive. Click “Start”.

Sit back and relax while the scan completes, and at the end you’ll get a graph, which you can save as a .png file by clicking the floppy-shaped icon in the top right of the CD-DVD Speed window.

Just upload the .png file (your scan result) here. :slight_smile:

Edit: haha, Lui_gough beat me to it :bigsmile:

I did test with DVD Info Pro… dunno if it’s the right one…

And lui, no it is the real deal - a MCC Verb.

00000000 00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 85 0D 0E .l…@…R…
00000010 88 9A 80 00 03 4D 43 43 20 30 33 00 04 52 47 32 …MCC 03…RG2
00000020 30 20 20 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 06 09 0B 14 0 …

But how could a disc decay in less than 24 hours?

EDIT: Oh, done the Nero DVD-CD Speed one now too.

General Information
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S
Firmware: BS0Y
Disc: DVD-R (MCC 03RG20 )
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 374
Average: 18.17
Total: 205210
PI failures
Maximum: 220
Average: 1.55
Total: 8431
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 10:38
Number of samples: 77160
Average scanning interval: 1.85 ECC
Glitches removed: 23

“Glitches REMOVED”?

And lui, no it is the real deal - a MCC Verb.

Those are the real deal Verbs…I have heard that the -R Verbs aren’t as good as the +R Verbs, have you considered switching formats? If compatability with standalone players is an issue you can always try booktyping.

Oy! Verbs aren’t that bad - that looks SERIOUSLY bad - spikes … spikes and more spikes. No wonder you’re having trouble - probably constant relinking due to constant buffer underrun, or bad power supply to your drive, or a screwed up burner…

Normally things don’t go that bad! I’m flabberghasted!

That is an absolutely terrible scan & indicates that the disc almost unreadable.

Rescan at 4x as Arachne suggested. 8x scanning on a 3S drive is not recommended and the result may change.

BTW are these Made in Taiwan or Made in India Verbs?

^ No idea. Any way to tell?

Sorry… ‘booktyping’? And, yes - compatibility is.

Verbs are meant to be like… the BEST. WTF are these burns coming out bad? And why did Decrypter verify it as OK?

Is there any way to tell how my power supply’s bad? It’s a pretty cheap tower.

‘Relinking’? And why would a buffer underrun?

Burner may be screwed but again… how to tell?

As for telling if they’re Made in Taiwan or Made in India - please check your packaging.

Booktyping is basically burning the booktype bit in the leadin to say DVD-ROM instead of normal DVD+R/+RW - if you use nero - go to select recorder and hit the advanced thing which should reveal a booktype drop box [if your drive supports it]. Yes, verbs are the best, but your burn looks bad. Please do as we say and post another scan, this time at 4x [select the speed dropdown box] because a scan at 8x isn’t accurate and might not be representative of the disc.

How to tell the powersupply quality - well first of all - check the wattage, and brand. See how much stuff you’ve got in your case. If your motherboard has environment monitor chip - you can use software like MBM, Speedfan, Sandra to find out the voltage readings - and they should be close. If they aren’t, then your powersupply isn’t up to the job. Otherwise, it might be the power supply fluctuates voltage or has noise. Only way to tell these is with a multimeter or an oscilloscope.

Relinking is the temporary process of suspending a burn and restarting it - it happens when data doesn’t flow fast enough to the burner and then it stops for a while. The thing is - if you’ve got a fragmented hard drive or you are working during burning, this might happen. Please defragment regularly and try to leave your system alone if this is the cause of the problem.

As for diagnosing a bad burner, this is harder - try a variety of media, try scanning your burn as we suggested [ but at 4x only] and seeing that the PI is <= 280 and PIF <=4. Some media might not work well with the burner and you can tell by the error rate. Verbatims should be much better. Alternatively, check your cables - try using 80 conductor cable if it’s possible and disconnecting any slave drives if that might cause any issues.

General Information
Selected speed: 4 X
PI errors
Maximum: 410
Average: 16.57
Total: 188012
PI failures
Maximum: 209
Average: 2.07
Total: 12582
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 14:26
Number of samples: 123261
Average scanning interval: 1.16 ECC
Glitches removed: 20

OK, that looks REALLY bad … sounds like your 3s might be dying by the looks of it. That’s surely too bad even to be a fake MCC disc. The spikes sound like your laser is giving up or screwing up or something not usual. Otherwise, bad power or bad IDE. Try swapping the burner to a different computer, burning a same disc and scanning it, else burn a fresh one now and scan that. If you get spikes like that wayyy above the acceptable limits, I’d reckon it’s time to get a new burner!

Could be a bad batch. Know a friend with a newer burner who you do a test burn on one of these?

^ Unfortunately, no. There’s no way I can test the discs themselves against anything else. Could it be a dirty lens? I’ll burn and scan again, although it’ll have to be something else…

Thanks for all your help so far, scan below…
Unfortunately I don’t have the card slip that comes around the pod when it’s bought, I always throw it as it gets ion the way. Obviously the pod itself has nothing.

Sorry, I don’t know what a booktype is. :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a 4x USB card and a video card, a webcam and control pad attached but obviously not in use during a burn. I’ll check my PSU in a bit after this post.

I always leave my burner alone for burns and defragment regularly, so I’d imagine it’s not that.

okay please read the posts above … and … well - i’ve seen dying liteon drives go erratic - so i’m not surprised. A lens cleaner could be a ditch attempt - then again - good to try but a new burner isn’t that expensive … usually a dirty lens [rare] would cause a reduction in laser power which causes reading and burning problems [high error rates/calibration error] but not spikes, unless the dust is moving a little and shadowing the burn … shrug

OK, new scan and PSU details. ATX-400
INPUT
115VAC
10A Max
60Hz

230VAC
5A Max
50Hz

OUTPUT
+12V 18A Max
+5V 40A Max

+3.3V 28A Max
-5V 0.5A Max
-12V .5A Max

+5V/SB 2.0A Max

Cleaning drive then scanning again after this…

General Information
Selected speed: 4 X
PI errors
Maximum: 404
Average: 23.83
Total: 267301
PI failures
Maximum: 207
Average: 0.29
Total: 1663
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 11:59
Number of samples: 101420
Average scanning interval: 1.16 ECC
Glitches removed: 20

UPDATE: Well, while looking at the drive now, I’m stuck. The bottom comes off no probs. I need to get in from the top to get to the lens though, and there appears to be no way to take the top or the front off.

It’s filthy as hell inside with lots on tiny thread of cloth and all sorts so a clean may be viable.

If I am going to have to buy a new drive, any recommendations - Benq seem to be the most highly held?

spikes still there not a good sign. I see that’s a generic power supply, probably not a great one. No matter, just be careful about dissasembling your drive! It’s not very easy to get to the lens, I thought you’d use a cleaning disc, but no-matter.

BenQ are not being produced anymore, still I recommend BenQ 1640/1650/1655 or Liteon SHM-165P6S [which are much better than your 3s] or Pioneer DVR-111D or LG GSA-H10A/H10N/H20. So far, all of these are good, but if you want error scanning to check your discs, best to stick with BenQ or LiteOn. LG is good for speed, Pioneer seems solid for quality but has burn spikes at relinks occasionally [similar to NEC drives as they use NEC chipsets]. Personally LiteOn or BenQ.

I’d go with the 165P6S - a great burner and scanner all in one.

I suspect you’re in the UK, and you can pick up a BenQ 1650 (nice drive) in PC World also.

However for scanning, I really prefer LiteOn, but that’s a personal opinion.