DVD Decrypter & Pioneer 116D

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-116D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello all, Hopefully I’m putting this question in the right place as opposed to the hardware forum.

I just got a Pioneer DVR-116D and have a small concern that someone could maybe help me out with. Previously, I had been burning with a Sony and occasionally only saw the normal 2 to 3 times during a burn device buffer drop to Zero and respike or the crazy fluctuations in the first two minutes or so in the Buffer going crazy. Never had any real problems there or burns coming out bad so I never paid it much mind.

Now, however, after putting in the Pioneer I noticed two things that are new to me.
~1) Buffer fills up 100% and device buffer constantly fluctuates between 87%-100% which seems to directly relate to time remaining countdown in a -1 -1 +1 -2 count.
~2) About midway though the burn I pretty much saw the write speed conk down to next to nothing and then rev back up.

Now, both the burns I made so far seem ok, but I guess I wanted to ask if this was normal and anyone else had this expirience.

Just some background also, burning at 4X on Sony 16D01 media, defaulty options in DVD decrypter (Changed the buffer to 30 at first and reduced it back to 20, same issue) Running on a P4 2.8 Ghz with Hyper threading, HD and DVD Drive running on UDMA 4 and UDMA 5. 1 gig DDR ram.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I can’t find a listing for Sony 16D01. The closest I found was for Sony/Ritek D01 DL discs. What does DVD Decrypter say?

Buffer fills up 100% and device buffer constantly fluctuates between 87%-100%

I don’t believe this is a problem. My 115D fluctuates yet the resultant burns are excellent.

If these are 16X SL discs I would not burn at 4X, too slow for modern burners that are not optimized for such archaic speeds.

Read this review at CDFreaks and note the media tests. It will enable you to properly choose media that are a good match for your burner.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Pioneer-DVR-116DBK-DVD-Burner-Review/

You’ll see that quality media does have to be burned at some arbitrary slow speed. The 16X TYG03’s were burned at 20X with very good results. The 8X TYG02’s (my favorites, and very inexpensive) were burn at 12X with even better numbers.

Even the always maligned CMC MAG AM3’s can be burned over their rated speeds with very good results.

Sorry, they’re SONY16D1 media. Basic Sony’s you get in the store in the standard yellow wrapper (DVD-R)

I really didn’t think the media was gonna be an issue, I’ve been burning with SONY’s since I started doing this, just moving up as they replaced the 8x s with 12x s and to 16x max. I’ve always burned at 4x because five or so years ago that’s what everyone was saying, burn DVDs at a slow speed so they don’t get messed up.

I’d actually rather not switch media, but I actually never thought of/didn’t know that with the advances in the technology you could actually be burning too slow (as opposed to too fast years ago)

I tried doing another burn at 6x and then at 8x. At 6x it fluctuated between 81% and 100% and at 8x between 77% and 100%
I assume I’m correct in thinking that adjusting DVD Decrypter’s buffer won’t affect this at all?

I will say I’m very patient, having done this back when 30 minutes was the standard rip on a DL disc and 15 minutes to burn was good. I don’t really need something or setting to burn fast, just accurate and with no coasters.

First, are you having any problems with your burned discs?
Second, with that media and that burner, I’d burn at 8X.

I don’t think I am, unfortunately I haven’t had time to watch most of what I’ve burned but I’ve thrown them all in to my computer and watched them start to finish on WinDVD at 32x speed (You know, watching for the norms of problems like stutters, freezes, etc., things that would show up even at 32x playback. So far nothing.

Additionally, I tried burning with IMG Burn, same issues with the fluctuations.

I suppose the real issue here is whether or not I need to be concerned. I know there’s a lot of things that honestly can’t be explained about how DVD Decrypter, Drives and Media interact, and it doesn’t ever affect burn quality.

And can you tell me exactly why you would burn at 8x?

Like I said, I feeling like I’m learning something new here. The whole time I’ve been doing this with most of the older methods and, to some extent, equipment I’ve had I’ve been following what everyone used to say everywhere, here included, that you should burn slowly.

Thanks everyone thus far for the replies by the way, I appreciate it.

[QUOTE=NoAppRsn;2227361]And can you tell me exactly why you would burn at 8x?

Like I said, I feeling like I’m learning something new here. The whole time I’ve been doing this with most of the older methods and, to some extent, equipment I’ve had [B]I’ve been following what everyone used to say everywhere,[/B] here included, that you should burn slowly.

Thanks everyone thus far for the replies by the way, I appreciate it.[/QUOTE]
Just because something is repeated over and over does not make it true. Quantitative, not anecdotal evidence is needed. In the past the world was said to be flat. More and more people repeating this did not make it any more true.

And can you tell me exactly why you would burn at 8x?

I would not burn at 4X, too slow for [B]modern burners that are not optimized for such archaic speeds.[/B]

I then provided a link with quantitative evidence to support this on [B]your [/B]specific drive.

Here’s some tests done with a CDFreaks’ highly rated LG burner using high quality Taiyo Yuden 16X media, burned at the 4x, 8X and then at 12X.

SONY DVD-R 16X ( TYG03 )
Batch #GH000073 - 0909
LG GH22NP20 1.00 …Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.7.7.15
Burn Speed 4X

Nice Quality score :slight_smile:

SONY DVD-R 16X ( TYG03 )
Batch #GH000073 - 0909
Burn Speed 8X

A little better I’d say.

SONY DVD-R 16X ( TYG03 )
Batch #GH000073 - 0909
Burn Speed 12X

Hmm… better yet at 12X.

I’m sure there are folks out there burning their TY’s at 4X in this drive because ‘I always heard that burning slow is better for quality’. Too bad.

Folks the world ain’t flat. :slight_smile:

I went through everything you posted, thanks. I think I had actually read all of that before I decided to get the drive when I was researching it. I guess I was just still thinkin it was a problem since increasing the write speed didn’t alleviate the issue.

I can def see (data wise) how the 8x burn measures better, guess I’ll start burning that media at 8x. I suppose I was just used to it being a visual issue as far as what you got when you play back the movie.

I guess who knows, maybe my hard drive can’t supply data to the device buffer fast enough, maybe I got a gremlin in there somewhere. I remember someone saying you really only need to worry when the buffer drops really low, so as long as my burn are coming out good I should just ignore it and not worry about it too much.

Thanks for all help and info, it’s been much appreciated.