DVD Decrypter & Macrovision ownership

I saw these 2 news items over at Afterdawn and thought I’d share.

DVD Decrypter to be removed
“Macrovision Corporation recently acquired the intellectual property rights in all versions of DVD Decrypter from its author…”

and

Macrovision RipGuard can’t stop ripping
“Back in February this year, Macrovision made a terrible attempt to scare the “ripping community” with the introduction of RipGuard…”

The old DVDD url now redirects you to Google UK. Why does Macrovision keep trying?! :bigsmile:

They will never learn. The people will never let it die.

:cool: :cool:

Thanks for the links - interesting reading. :cool:

In case you don’t know this one yet:
http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=56831 :wink:
|

I have some questions about this.

1. If they claim its in violation of the DMCA, how can they also claim ownership? Aren’t they just saying they’re in violation of the DMCA?

2. If they own something that was freeware, doesn’t that mean all NEW versions of something they have control over, instead of a version that was distributed freely for a number of years?

Macrovision claims ownership because Lightning_UK! assigned all his rights to the program to Macrovision as part of his settlement.

Macrovision is now the sole owner and copyright holder of the program with all the rights that that encompasses.

for this, shouldn’t the program have been copyrighted in the first place? Was not Decrypter in the public domain? this is confusing.

The program is and always has been copyrighted. The fact that it was freeware does not mean either that it is public domain or that it was open source.

The copyright that was vested in Lightning_UK! as its author has been assigned to Macrovision which is now the owner of the copyright.