DVD Decrypter / ImgBurn burning speed

People, please forgive if this is a repeated thread… but, I’ve been trying to record some blank media using slow speeds, that should be available, without success. If I use NERO or ALCOHOL, the available speeds are onle the ones stated as “certified”. If I use Decrypter, all the speeds are availble… however, eventhough I use a lower speed, the actual burning is performed a the lower “certified” one (e.g. I set 2.4x and the midia is burnt at 4x anyway).

If I check the blank with DVD Identifier, it shows that all speeds from 1x to 8x are certified for the media…

Does anyone know what can be done to record at the speed set at the Decrypter? Or, does anyone know which burning program is able so do such thing?

Thank you all very much!!! :bow:

Burning speeds for each media are stated in the burner’s firmware. DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn, or any burning software, read burning speeds from firmware. To force a specific burning speed on a specific media is necessary modify firmware manually. Some burners allow that with specific tools (for example omnipatcher with liteon burners).

There is a difference between certified burn speeds & what burn speeds are actually available given the media & the burner.

Taking Taiyo Yuden T02 as an example. DVD Indentifier shows 1x, 2.4x, 4x & 6x-8x as the “certified” speeds. However, taking the drive capabilities tab shows something quite different.

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 16620 KBPS (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 11081 KBPS ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 11080 KBPS ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 5540 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

This shows the actual burn speeds available with this given combination of media & burner (LG 4163B).

LG decided that this media can be burned successfully at 12x rather than the rated 8x, and they are quite right in this.

So selecting 2.4x in Decrypter/Imgburn (or any other app) CANNOT possibly actually happen so the next available speed will be used.

Where Decrypter isn’t so smart as Nero etc is that the dropdown speed selection should be limited to those actually available rather than what it does.

Thank you Geno and TimC! :bow:

Do you (or anyone) if it is possible to edit the firmware of my LG 4163B and how can I do it?

Rgs!

Yes, look at this: MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for LG DVD-Writers.

Regards, :slight_smile:

ET

Take a look at this thread

@ ET

you precedeed me for a couple of seconds :stuck_out_tongue:

Ehhhh… don’t cheat. At least one minute… :stuck_out_tongue:

ET

Thanks for the support fellows! That’s why I love this forum! :clap:

C U!

Hi guys,

I have some problem with DVD decrypter reading speed. I recently upgrade my comp and my Plextor PX716 drive used to read disc at 10x but after the upgrade my drive only read it at 4x max. I thought it was my drive cause it needs retiring so bought a NEC 3550a. Still same thing. Change the cable for the Ultra 133 so Ultra DMA will be activated but still the Reading speed is max out at 4x.

Writing Speed also slow down. I use Taiyo Yuden 16x media and could only write at 8x max.

Anyone please help me out.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum blodg8.

Can you specify better what upgrades do you made? Have you checked if DMA is active? Do you installed intel or nVidia IDE drivers instead of standard microsoft drivers?

I made upgrades on basically a new system.

New motherboard Gigagbyte
AMD 64 1.8 ghz processor (preparing for the 64 bit OS)
Asus 6600 Nvidia and yes I install the nividia software that came with the drive for my Video card.
Hard drive stay the same 160gb Maxtor 7200rpm

I didn’t check if my DMA is active. How do i do that?
How do i check if I install the nvidia IDE driver or the Microsoft? Which IDE driver should I use and what are the step to fix this?

Please help. I am pretty frustrated with the reading speed and writing speed. Thanks

You can see these and a lot of other informations using nero Infotool. You can download it here. It’s free and don’t require installation.

After running it post log file

Hi,

Am I using this CD/DVD Speed on the burned DvD-R? How can this help you guys out?

Can someone tell me how to check what IDE driver am I using? How do I change it if it is not MS default IDE Driver? Please advise. Thanks

You should use nero INFOTOOL, that you can download from here.

With this utility you can see if DMA is active, what IDE drivers do you have, what ASPI drivers do you have, ecc. Use it and post results

CD-DVD speed is used for scans of burned media. Download it also: it will be useful

thanks I will do that tonight. I will post it once I run the utility. Thanks again

Hi,

Looks like the Neroinfotool does not recognize my NEC 3540A Drive. I also realized that I’m using nvidia Drive for my IDE. what should I do to change it to Microsoft default IDE driver. Please help. How can I paste the result onto this post?

I suppose that you have your burner installed on secondary IDE channel

To uninstall nVidia IDE drivers right click on My Computer on desktop and select “Properties”

Select Hardware tab and press “Device manager” button

From Device manager expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and double click on Secondary IDE channel. Select Driver and press “Uninstall” button.

Then reboot to allow windows to install standard microsoft driver

Use “Manage attachments” button, select files file from your HD and press “upload” button.

yes I do have my Drives install into the Secondary IDE from the MB. Should I switch it to Primary and have my hard drive on the secondary?? What should I do from here??

Also, which controller should I uninstall? Should I uninstall all of the Controller include the Parallel ATA controller and have the Microsoft install itself??

This is what I have:

• IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    NVIDIA CK804 ADMA Controller (v2.7)
    NVIDIA CK804 ADMA Controller (v2.7)
    NVIDIA CK804 Parallel ATA Controller (v2.7)

Leave HD on primary IDE channel.

I suggest you to uninstall nVidia IDE drivers and to use standard microsoft.

Some mainboard require also to activate DMA from BIOS. Check if DMA is enabled in BIOS

Thanks Geno. I will try that out. But should I uninstall all three of them??

also, how much faster are you in Italy. Time wise. If its close I’m thinking if I can chat with you on this issue.