DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, AnyDVD, Vobblanker help?

vbimport

Hi - I am trying to back up Alien vs Predator but before someone says “Read the Forums” … I have, endlessly, doing everything anyone has ever said about “oh this worked for me” etc. etc.

I am in the U.K. and have tried DVD Decrypter 3.5.20, Vobblanker 1.6.05, DVD Shrink3.2 AnyDVD 4.5.7.2 …

None of them work either alone or together … I’ve probably burnt my dvd-rw drive to a crisp trying to get it done :frowning:

AnyDVD gave me this information re: the disc …

Summary for drive D:
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: AVP_SE_D1_FR_UK
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 2!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to TitleMenu!
Structural copy protection not found.
Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!

I have tried to use vobblanker to just get the main movie vobs (all around 1gb each) & they are sat on my hard drive, but if I try to load them into DVD Shrink, it tells me that a couple of IFO files are missing which I put into the folder, but then when I tried to load the files into dvd shrink to shrink it, it told me that the main movie vobs were missing. Can’t load it straight into Nero because altogether is well over 5gb. DVD Decrypter stopped on vob#4 & went nuts and I’ve come to a brick wall.

I appreciate that most of the discssions in here are for region 1 discs, but if anyone has a region 2 AvP disc they have successfully backed up, please tell me how you did it using anything & everything I’ve got already or can get from somewhere!

Thank you (I hope)

That’s odd. Something weird about region 2 release? Not sure how to interpret your problem.

First of all, have you tried with DVDDecrypter set to detect mastering errors? It’s in settings under CSS. Try it with and without.

If all else fails, I got a sure-fire method for you. I once used it to get rid of extras before there was anything like VobBlanker, TitlesetBlanker, et. al. It preserves working menu for scene selection, no extras at all. One thing: menu does not autoplay, you have to hit menu button on your remote. Or you could use IfoEdit to make menu autoplay instead of main movie, I never cared to, and don’t save menus any more.

Well, here it is:

Open up the DVD in DVDDecrypter in File Mode. In the window on the right, highlight and extract ONLY these files: VTS_xx.IFO and associated VOBs. So you’d want something like this: VTS_01_0.IFO and VTS_01_0.VOB, VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, etc., all the VOBs in that titleset. Put 'em all in a folder somewhere.

Open the folder in DVDFab 0.17.1 (free, available at www.mrbass.org), click “Create Video Manager” (Video_TS.IFO).

That’s it, you got an autoplay main movie and a non-autoplay menu. Or reauthor just the movie in DVDShrink. Not a very long movie if I remember, shouldn’t have to compress much at all.

Hmm, doesn’t AVG have two versions on the disc, the extended one with a couple minutes extra at the beginning? If you want that one, you might have to replace the first VOB and insert the alternate, renaming it in sequence, of course.

Good luck. :slight_smile: