DVD data

vbimport

I understand that DVD video is a specific format. Are other formats like DIVX, MPEG, WMV, AVI, etc all considered DATA, then, when copied to DVD disc?

My DVD player can recognize some of these data formats - like DIVX and MPEG. If I simply copy these files to disc and pop them in my DVD machine, will it be able to play those files, or is there some particular file structure or format that is still required.

And do the files have to be in the root directory. What if I organize and copy them into folders on disc. Will that confuse my machine. If so, how can I organize the files to avoid having a huge list of files in the root dir.

Oh, one last thing: because these other formats are considered data files, I assume there is no time limit on the total length of the videos except the total capacity of the disc.

formats which your player is capable of playing depend upon many factors. If it is a standalone unit, it will read all formats listed in the user documentation. If it is a pc player, the limitions are basically software related…Not all softwares will play all video formats and/or data formats

Are other formats like DIVX, MPEG, WMV, AVI, etc all considered DATA,

yes

If I simply copy these files to disc and pop them in my DVD machine, will it be able to play those files, or is there some particular file structure or format that is still required.

yes [some players may be picky about audio/video specs, your manual should give them and you can check the files on your computer with a program called GSPOT]

What if I organize and copy them into folders on disc. Will that confuse my machine.

with my dvd/divx player i can organize the avi files in folders. when the dvd is inserted i am given a directory and i can navigate to the different folders and select individual files.

I assume there is no time limit on the total length of the videos except the total capacity of the disc.

correct [and actually the same is true for dvd compliant video, the length on the label is just marketing gimmick]