DVD Data Disc is suddenly blank!

vbimport

Hi Everyone

First of all, I am new here, and do appreciate you taking the time to view my thread.

Here’s the story:

At my University they provide laptops to the students as part of the tuition. As I was graduating in May, 2008, I burned my files onto 2 DVD data discs in preparation to return the laptop.

When I got home, I checked the 2 data discs on my home PC and they worked fine, I could browse the files. However, that was the last time I could get one of them to work. From that point on, one of the data discs simply reads as blank.

This is such a blow to me as this particular data disc contains music projects that I had been working on for months, namely original musical compositions.

I fear that those months of hard work are now gone.

I cannot understand how, all of a sudden, a disc goes from having the info on it being read to appearing to be blank.

ANY HELP!?!? PLEASE!!:sad:

I am afraid it is a bad news. What disc brand did you use?
You can see if ISOBuster will see those files, but I think that the disc deteriorated to the point that it cannot be red any more.

Try the discs on the drive from which they were burned.
Sometimes, my data backup DVD’s (pics, music, apps., etc…) that I burn using my LG H55N drive will ONLY read back on that drive - sometimes when they are newly burned.
If that works (you can access the files), then reburn them onto a better brand of media - Verbatim brand and make more than 1 copy!

Hi dirtmcgurt
You may find [B]ISO Buster [/B]to be a very handy tool for recoverying of lost data files on CD’s and DVD’s, you can also use Nero CD Speed to see if the disc has been closed and/or has any damaged sectors.
Number 1 rule when it comes to storing any data to CD or DVD is always use top quality media–> [B]Verbatim[/B] or [B]Taiyo Yuden [/B]

Have a nice day :flower:

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2141026]I am afraid it is a bad news. What disc brand did you use?
You can see if ISOBuster will see those files, but I think that the disc deteriorated to the point that it cannot be red any more.[/QUOTE]

I will check the brand when I get home.

Perhaps the disc has deteriorated, but, as the info burnt on it was only days old, I would be surprised if it had time to do this (assuming that deterioration in this case is the same as say, a car deteriorating through rust over the years).

Thanks!

[QUOTE=chosenfew777;2141029]Try the discs on the drive from which they were burned.
Sometimes, my data backup DVD’s (pics, music, apps., etc…) that I burn using my LG H55N drive will ONLY read back on that drive - sometimes when they are newly burned.
If that works (you can access the files), then reburn them onto a better brand of media - Verbatim brand and make more than 1 copy![/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, as I had to return the laptop to my University I do not have access to the drive it was burned on.

Thanks for the advice about disc brands.

-Thanks

Thanks to all who have recommended ISO buster…I will definitely look into this option.

-Thanks

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Some drives are better readers than others. I suggest you try and see if the disc is readable in other DVD drives you have access to or can borrow. If another drive on another computer can read the disc, then copy the files to another DVD or to an USB Flash Drive.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=dirtmcgurt;2141066]I will check the brand when I get home.

Perhaps the disc has deteriorated, but, as the info burnt on it was only days old, I would be surprised if it had time to do this (assuming that deterioration in this case is the same as say, a car deteriorating through rust over the years).

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I was under impression that the disc was burned in May and it was working initially.
Try all other siugestions and I sincerely hope I am wrong.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2141091]I was under impression that the disc was burned in May and it was working initially.
Try all other siugestions and I sincerely hope I am wrong.[/QUOTE]

It was burned in May, but it did not work only days after this in May also. It only worked on one occasion and then did not work again.

I was so distraught by the data being seemingly gone I have left the disc for the summer while I attended to other issues. It is only now that I have decided to do some research in an effort to save the data.

Hopefully my delay has not hindered me, the disc has been sitting out of harms way for the last few months.

-Thanks

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2141077]Sorry to hear about your problems.

Some drives are better readers than others. I suggest you try and see if the disc is readable in other DVD drives you have access to or can borrow. If another drive on another computer can read the disc, then copy the files to another DVD or to an USB Flash Drive.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :)[/QUOTE]

Unfort. I have tried one other comp and no luck!

-Thanks

was iso buster able to see the data on the disc ?

Did you use drag and drop feature when burning original disc?

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2141126]was iso buster able to see the data on the disc ?[/QUOTE]

I havent been able to try yet, but I will keep you posted.

-Thanks

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2141139]Did you use drag and drop feature when burning original disc?[/QUOTE]

I believe I did (if my memory isnt failing me). Does this make a difference?

What confuses me the most is that it did work once, but never again.

-Thanks

[QUOTE=dirtmcgurt;2141143]I believe I did (if my memory isnt failing me). Does this make a difference?

What confuses me the most is that it did work once, but never again.

-Thanks[/QUOTE]

This makes a big difference. If you used drag and drop than IsoBuster will take care of that.
I should have asked that question right at the beginning.

Do not use that on anything especially if it has to be moved between machines.

Hey everyone…

Just to let you all know ISOBuster did work for me!!

Very grateful for all the help, I’m a relieved man to have those files back.

-Thanks