DVD copying now takes ages! Help!

vbimport

#1

I was running DVD shrink with Nero. Copying a DVD would take something like 20 mins. Now all of a sudden it takes 2-3 hours.
I have reloaded shrink and nero, no change.
I have tried using CloneDVD2. That takes about 2 hours!

I can’t get to the bottom of this.

I’m using.
Sony CD-RW CRX320E
SONY DVD RW DW-D23A

Can anyone help?


#2

How much HD space do you have?
How fragmented are your files?

That’s where I would look first.


#3

Have you done some modifications on your computer? Installed new software or new hardware?


#4

I have over 100gb free on my hard drive.
I’m defragmenting right now. Can it make that much difference?


#5

I have installed no new hardware.


#6

OK, no new hardware, but what about new software?

Are you running some software during shrink operations?

If transcoding process require so much more time, it seems to me that there is some process, maybe running in background, that consume CPU power during transcoding process, competing with dvd shrink.

Try to open task manager before to begin transcoding to see if there is a process comsuming CPU time other than system idle process.


#7

at a guess the disc that took 20mins was a single layer dvd and the one`s taking 2-3 hrs are dual layer dvd.

or

dma is not enabled.


#8

Okay. I have defragmented my hard disk.
No Change.

I checked the CPU usage history while using DVD shrink.
It was at 0% before I opened DVD shrink. Whe I start the back up, the CPU usage rises to 100%. when I stop it, it falls back 0%.


#9

Maybe have you changed options in dvd shrink? Deep analysis require much more time to transcoding a movie.

Try to follow aka’s advice: is DMA active? Sometime windows revert to PIO without notice to user.


#10

Okay, I have found the problem. The DVD/CD drive I’m reading from must have a problem. As I read from the drive I write with and it took 20 mins.

However, I have a new problem!

It now fails to burn. I get this message:

Installed in: C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero
Application: ahead\Nero - Burning Rom

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
CdRomPeripheral : SONY DVD RW DW-D23A atapi Port 4 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : SONY CD-RW CRX320E atapi Port 4 ID 1 DMA: Off
DiskPeripheral : WDC WD2000JB-00GVA0 atapi Port 5 ID 0 DMA: On

=== CDRom-Device-Map ===
SONY DVD RW DW-D23A D: CDRom0
SONY CD-RW CRX320E E: CDRom1

AutoRun : 1
Excluded drive IDs:
CmdQueuing : 1
CmdNotification: 2
WriteBufferSize: 66060288 (0) Byte
ShowDrvBufStat : 0
EraseSpeed : 0
BUFE : 0
Physical memory : 446MB (457200kB)
Free physical memory: 107MB (110352kB)
Memory in use : 75 %
Uncached PFiles: 0x0
Use Static Write Speed Table: 0
Use Inquiry : 1
Global Bus Type: default (0)
Check supported media : Disabled (0)

16.7.2005
NeroAPI
16:37:52 #1 Text 0 File NeroAPI.cpp, Line 3767
Message file not found

Existing drivers:

Registry Keys:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

Any ideas?


#11

Okay, let us treat this as two different problems (which is what it is).

I can help with problem number one, the sudden loss of speed. Two of the replies above both spotted it (thanks to AKO and Geno888). Here is what your log showed:

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
CdRomPeripheral : SONY DVD RW DW-D23A atapi Port 4 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : SONY CD-RW CRX320E atapi Port 4 ID 1 DMA: Off
DiskPeripheral : WDC WD2000JB-00GVA0 atapi Port 5 ID 0 DMA: On

If the “slow” drive was this one –
*** CdRomPeripheral : SONY CD-RW CRX320E atapi Port 4 ID 1 DMA: Off – ***

Then, look at the end of that line, where it says “DMA.” It says “off.” My guess is that it probably used to be set for DMA enabled (which is much much faster). Then, at some point you had a total of six “read” errors, such as “Cyclic Redundancy Checks” which are also called “CRC errors” or “check condition errors.” When Windows gets the sixth error of this type on any hardware device, it automatically switches the device from DMA mode to PIO mode. It has been programmed to do this, assuming that your hardware might not be able to handle DMA mode. They never anticipated that dirty DVDs or dirty CDs would be causing so many errors. Windows does not tell you it is doing this, it just does it.

Solution–> Do a search, you can find info on how to resolve this. The version of Windows can make a slight difference as to which is the best approach. In some cases, you can just go into the hardware settings and change it (under the System Properties" and “hardware devices.” In other versions, you have to uninstall the IEEE controller that is handling this device, and Windows will automatically re-install it as soon as you re-boot, and Windows will load it with DMA enabled again.

Microsoft has a tech paper in their knowledge base on this peculiarity.

You should also be able to find suggestions for how to resolve it by searching these forums, though.

Regarding problem number two, I shall leave that to someone else. I have no idea why you are unable to burn…

-Bruce