DVD Copy - decryption software; Ideal DVD Copy

vbimport

Ideal DVD Copy: Does anyone have or have used this to share your thoughts on ease of use, quality, cost comparison, etc?

I’m a little old school in backing up my DVD’s (i.e. I use DVD Decrypter, DVD2AVI, ChapterXtractor, TMPGEncPlus, WinRAR). With the changes in protection software I’m trying to research and compare my options and Ideal DVD Copy seems reasonably priced, and the latest upgrades reportedly work to rip and backup my Batman Dark Knight, Hancock, Narnia, etc. The software I’m looking at now is DVDNextCopy, AnyDVD (Decrypter), DVDCloner (with built in Decrypter), or trying Ideal DVD Copy.

PS - I have an older Dell with DVD+RW only Phillips reader/writer, 80G HD, Pentium 4, couple G memory. My wife has a laptop with a -R DVD writer/reader, 120 G HD, Pentium 4 or 5 or something.

Moved to Copy Movie forum.

I think I would avoid Ideal DVD Copy. It isn’t well known around here, which is a bad sign considering how many people we have working with dvd decryption programs. The last update was mid August? There have been new protection schemes coming out every month lately.

AnyDVD and DVDFab are the two most commonly used decryption programs among our members. DVDFab even has a free decryption/ripping section called DVDFab HD Decrypter which effective, constantly updated and remains functional even after the trial for the main part of DVDFab expires.

I personally use AnyDVD HD and have been pleased with it. I use it in combination with DVDShrink or DVDRebuilder for dvd backups. And I am just beginning to work with Blu Ray backups with it.

yes i have both dvdfab and anydvd. both great programs.

i like anydvd as it can be used with many dvd ripping programs.

i use mostly dvdfab as it is all-in-one decrypt/rip/compress/burn. with ImgBurn enabled for burning.

Thanks for the recommendations. I’m still up in the air on making a decision, but your feedback helps obviously. I tried that Ideal DVD Copy to backup Hancock; it’s seriously dumbed down (i.e. put DVD in, rip, burn, done). It doesn’t have all the steps or options I don’t think that I’m used to. It was fast; if you have two drives it can rip and burn in under 30 minutes. It took me under an hour because I had to rip to HD and then back to blank disc. Still much faster than my step by step manual process. It looks like they may have had a recent update in December.

This site here indicates DVD Cloner is good, but I haven’t read anyone else thoughts on the product. http://dvd-copy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

I think I would like the DVDnextCopy Ultimate but it looks like I would have to get that AnyDVD or DVDFab with it; so combined cost at or over $100.00. I actually wouldn’t hesitate in getting AnyDVD except I read on their site you now have to purchase an annual update registration or something to get the upgrade/update decriptions (it used to be lifetime free updates).

DVDFab sounds appealing if it does decript/rip-shrink, burn, etc. That sounds basically like the Ideal DVD Copy, but maybe with more options.

Thanks again~

Yes buy anydvd HD before January 11 in order to get the lifetime free updates. As for Dvd Next Copy Ultimate you not need anydvd you can use a free decrypting tool called the machinist as that what I use for it. But it would be a good idea to get anydvd as it can run in the background while you use any other program tyo copy your dvd. Also dvd95copy is a good program too. Just to let you know laptop burners are not that good and it would be a good idea to purchase a external USB burner for it to burn with.

Are the lifetime free updates only for anydvd HD? I don’t have an HD or BlueRayHD drive on my PC; I do have an HD Toshiba player but it stinks that I can’t find a lot of new movies on regular HD to buy (since BlueRay pretty much won out even though it’s over priced because of Sony’s virtual monopoly on the rights and their diverse involvement in production, Disney, Blockbuster, Netflix, etc.). Ebay and Half.com are where I usually buy any movies still available in HD.

I digress…

AnyDVD for regular DVD backup use seems reasonable if they have regular updates for decryption for life. I could upgrade to AnyDVD HD/blueray later if I ever upgrade my computer and suck it up to buy a blue ray DVD player. :slight_smile:

If you look at the Slysoft site, you’ll see that the free lifetime updates apply for all their products, and the offer ends on the 11th of this month.

I got AnyDVD. Can I rip my movie to my hard drive with it and then use my old software to split, shrink, demux, and Nero to burn the backup now? If so, how?

Yes you can use AnyDVD for this. Start AnyDVD…you’ll see the fox icon at the bottom right. If you want to rip with AnyDVD, right click on the icon and hit Rip Video DVD to Hardisk. This rips the entire disk, and I use this process on newer movies that have a lot of bad sectors intentionally placed in them.

On other, less nasty protection schemes, you can rip to the hard drive with other programs, like DVDShrink or DVDDecrypter. This allows you to select only the main movie if you like in Shrink, or use Decrypter’s IFO mode. Just run AnyDVD in the background and let it do all the heavy lifting on decryption. You should turn off the option to check for structure protection within DVDDecrypter if you want to use it in conjunction with AnyDVD.

Once on the hard drive you can use any compression programs you like, and burn with Nero if that is the burning program you prefer.

Is DVDShrink free?

Yes… click here: DVDShrink

Edit: There are a lot of guides for Shrink here at cdfreaks in the Copy Movie forum. http://club.cdfreaks.com/f72/

Excellent! Thanks, I’ll have to get DVDShrink on your advise.

Is NextDVDCopy the best software to work with AnyDVD to shrink and only copy the movie only w/o the menu and if so which version is best for basic DVD backup needs?

I ripped my movie to the hard drive but it was small and ripped the movie w/ menu; that wouldn’t work obviously to burn to 4.7G DVD+R(W) for most larger movies.

Nothing wrong with using DVDShrink for copying movie only and taking out menus, extras and unneeded languages. Use it in ReAuthor mode for this. The guides will help you get started.

As transcoders go Shrink makes very good quality copies. I personally have never seen a need to buy any other program that is a transcoder, like CloneDVD2, DVDNextCopy, or DVDFab since Shrink is such a quality program and costs nothing.

For the very highest quality backups, especially for very large movies, you should look into DVDRebuilder. Virtually nothing can match it for quality output using the free HC encoder. Rebuilder has a free edition for you to try it. The pro version is a commercial product and has many more options. The main drawback to using Rebuilder is that it takes more time.

By the way, when using Shrink for compression always set it to use Deep Analysis. This will improve Shrink’s ability to determine where compression needs to be applied. The option comes up when you have selected all that you want compressed, and hit Backup. Also put a check in the box for Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation.

[quote=Donald411;2188667]Are the lifetime free updates only for anydvd HD? I don’t have an HD or BlueRayHD drive on my PC; I do have an HD Toshiba player but it stinks that I can’t find a lot of new movies on regular HD to buy (since BlueRay pretty much won out even though it’s over priced because of Sony’s virtual monopoly on the rights and their diverse involvement in production, Disney, Blockbuster, Netflix, etc.). Ebay and Half.com are where I usually buy any movies still available in HD.

I digress…

AnyDVD for regular DVD backup use seems reasonable if they have regular updates for decryption for life. I could upgrade to AnyDVD HD/blueray later if I ever upgrade my computer and suck it up to buy a blue ray DVD player. :-)[/quote]
If you plan to upgrade to Blu-ray then get the HD option as that is for Blu-ray too. If you have anydvd and upgraqde to the HD after January 11 then you will no longer have lifetime free updates for your anydvd. This is why I said to get the HD option

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2188192] The last update was mid August? There have been new protection schemes coming out every month lately.
[/QUOTE]

In fact, Ideal DVD Copy keep updating the decryption files. Although we haven’t update the main setup file, the program can backup the latest protected dvds. You may visit http://club.myce.com/f178/update-news-about-dvds-weve-solved-324701/ to learn the latest dvds we’ve solved.

Ideal DVD Copy used a different decryption method from other program, so for new dvds, we needn’t update the program, just create a decryption file for that dvd and upload it to our server, then when users copying that dvd, Ideal DVD Copy will auto access that file to get through the protection. Thus, users needn’t re-install our program from time to time, just keep his computer connect to internet is OK.

The decryption updates to Ideal DVD Copy are extremely fast too with a high proportion of films solved even before mainstream release.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2689702]The decryption updates to Ideal DVD Copy are extremely fast too with a high proportion of films solved even before mainstream release.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for your clarification, Wombler. :flower:

It seems the users here are still unfamiliar with Ideal DVD Copy, so have such a misunderstanding that Ideal DVD Copy stopped updating. I need come here more often in the future to make more users know our program.:slight_smile: