DVD Copier (Hardware)

vbimport

Hi-

I have a large DVD collection (in excess of 700 DVDs) and I would like to make backups of all of my DVDs.

I realize that the cost of a DVD copier may be expensive, but my time is more valuable than money (within reason). And so I would really prefer to avoid any software solution.

I was looking at www.copystars.com, but I have noted that there is a disclaimer that the copier won’t work with commercial DVDs. Does anyone have any experience with these duplicators, or any others?

It would be an added bonus if the piece of hardware was capable of copying to harddrive.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Yes I own a copystar unit. You will need a computer and a decrypter software in order to copy your personal collection of dvd’s. I like the duplicator cause it does everything itself and is super fast, if I need a quick copy of one of my cd/dvd’s it done in 2 minutes (CD) and 5 minutes (DVD). Copystars are the cheapest and the best in my opinion including a 2 year warranty.

The C. -

You said that I would need a computer and decrypter software to duplicate my collection, but then also said that you love the copystars system because it does everything itself and quickly makes a copy.

Is your copystars unit connected to a computer which uses the decrypting software? I don’t understand the connection. Could you please walk me through copying a commercial DVD with a copystar unit?

Thanks,
Chris

[QUOTE=challett;2093595]The C. -

You said that I would need a computer and decrypter software to duplicate my collection, but then also said that you love the copystars system because it does everything itself and quickly makes a copy.

Is your copystars unit connected to a computer which uses the decrypting software? I don’t understand the connection. Could you please walk me through copying a commercial DVD with a copystar unit?

Thanks,
Chris[/QUOTE]

Yes I ordered mine (Copystar unit) with a HD and USB upgrades so I can connect it to my computer. Once I decrypt the dvd or cd then I will just use my duplicator to copy. Easy step to remember is to use computer first to decrypt the dvd/cd then with that disk… just pop it into the dulicator should you buy one without the upgraded hardware options. The extra hardware can be expensive. If I ever buy another I will get one without the USB/HD hardware.

[QUOTE=THE C.;2093837]Yes I ordered mine (Copystar unit) with a HD and USB upgrades so I can connect it to my computer. Once I decrypt the dvd or cd then I will just use my duplicator to copy. Easy step to remember is to use computer first to decrypt the dvd/cd then with that disk… just pop it into the dulicator should you buy one without the upgraded hardware options. The extra hardware can be expensive. If I ever buy another I will get one without the USB/HD hardware.[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry if I seem stupid… I’m really just trying to understand.

With your setup (Copystar with HD and USB) the steps would be as follows:

1. Insert copyright protected dvd into copystar drive 1
  2. Use decrypting software on connected PC to remove protection from DVD.
    ----Does this then copy the DVD to a new unprotected DVD which must then be placed in Copystar drive 1?
  3. Insert blank DVD into Copystar drive 2.
  4. Activate Duplication process.

If I am correct, this means that I would first have to make an unprotected copy of every DVD in my collection first, before I could use the ease of the Duplicator. Is this correct?

Thanks again!!!
Chris

Sure, because there is no way to COPY an encrypted DVD directly.

[QUOTE=challett;2094227]I’m sorry if I seem stupid… I’m really just trying to understand.

With your setup (Copystar with HD and USB) the steps would be as follows:

1. Insert copyright protected dvd into copystar drive 1
  2. Use decrypting software on connected PC to remove protection from DVD.
    ----Does this then copy the DVD to a new unprotected DVD which must then be placed in Copystar drive 1?
  3. Insert blank DVD into Copystar drive 2.
  4. Activate Duplication process.

If I am correct, this means that I would first have to make an unprotected copy of every DVD in my collection first, before I could use the ease of the Duplicator. Is this correct?

Thanks again!!!

Chris[/QUOTE]

Yes, Chef is correct. Computer first (Decrypt), then put into the duplicator and copy.

Thanks for the clarification.

I was really hoping that there was going to be a way to directly copy the *protected DVD. If we can’t copy them, how do the DVD production companies do it? Hmm.

Also, if I have to make a unprotected copy of any DVD I want to backup, wouldn’t I then already have a backup, thus rendering the duplicator useless?

[QUOTE=challett;2096018]Thanks for the clarification.

I was really hoping that there was going to be a way to directly copy the *protected DVD. If we can’t copy them, how do the DVD production companies do it? Hmm.

Also, if I have to make a unprotected copy of any DVD I want to backup, wouldn’t I then already have a backup, thus rendering the duplicator useless?[/QUOTE]

Copies come and go and get lost. So a dulicator comes in handy to make a copy quick. As for the DVD movie companies press there copies and can print 100’s at a time.

[QUOTE=THE C.;2096044]Copies come and go and get lost. So a dulicator comes in handy to make a copy quick.[/QUOTE]

So how do you have your collection backed up? With at least 2 copies per dvd - the original disk, the decrypted/unprotected disc, and a backup to watch or let people borrow?

Do you bother with a hard drive backup at all?

Just one copy. If one wants one I just give them a throw away disk (Quality) copy of my master. Yes I do most of my copies using the HD instead of the “On The Fly.”

[QUOTE=THE C.;2096573]Yes I do most of my copies using the HD instead of the “On The Fly.”[/QUOTE]

I see. So the duplicator was not useful in making your first backup, but only for future backups, loaners, and replacements.

I realize that my topic is drifting slightly from my original post here, but…

as far as your HD backups. What quality are you backing up to? What program(s) do you personally use? And what size are your movies on average at that quality?

I noticed that you have 4 external 400gb drives (usb?) and 1 250gb sata. How do you like the SATA drive in comparison? And, do you use all 4 externals for storage, or do you backup your data from 2 of the externals to the other 2?

For HD backups, check the HD section. :wink:

My back up’s are on DL so they are clone of the originals. I run both SimpleTech in RAID 1, and both Seagate H.D.'s in RAID 0. The SATA is mainly for my music. The other 4 drives have my family photo’s and video clips. The TB H.D. is new and will be finding ways to make mirror drive of it. Like Chef said we have a great data base in on the HD section.