DVD Convertion

I apologize if this is repetitive. I searched the forums and found many a post but nothing that addresses my specific question.

I have a project coming up that requires me to convert a large number of DVD movies to MP4. I need to do this in the most cost effective/timely matter possible. I have a small budget to purhcase some hardware to accomplish this. I just don’t know what direction to go. Should i buy cheap machines with multiple DVD’s then ‘que’ up the conversion via my favorite software? If so what hardware can i get that is not to costly but can operate multiple DVDs?

Should i purchase multiple cheap machines so i can convert multiple dvd’s at the same time? If so, will a cheap $400 machine do the trick and how long will it take with a cheap machine?

[QUOTE=Scro;2217253]I apologize if this is repetitive. I searched the forums and found many a post but nothing that addresses my specific question.

I have a project coming up that requires me to convert a large number of DVD movies to MP4. I need to do this in the most cost effective/timely matter possible. I have a small budget to purhcase some hardware to accomplish this. I just don’t know what direction to go. Should i buy cheap machines with multiple DVD’s then ‘que’ up the conversion via my favorite software? If so what hardware can i get that is not to costly but can operate multiple DVDs?

Should i purchase multiple cheap machines so i can convert multiple dvd’s at the same time? If so, will a cheap $400 machine do the trick and how long will it take with a cheap machine?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, A cheap machine could do the trick. Just make sure the processor is decent and it has preferably 2GB or more of ram.

Here is a VERY cheap machine, that could do the job in a very small amount of time.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4348631&CatId=2658

Thanks for the info. I was wondering how a video card plays into this whole thing. Again. i wil lonly be converting to mp4. DOes the video card need to be beefy you think?

Unless the video card has specific hardware support for DVD and/or MP4 codecs [B]and[/B] you have software that makes use of this (which is unlikely) then it makes no difference, in fact I wouldn’t even bother with attaching a monitor to your systems, just run XP Pro and use remote desktop connection. The only reason to have a graphics card at all is to make the system boot up successfully, and I would do away with the graphics card entirely if there were a way to get the BIOS to ignore its absence!

Sláinte

midders

[quote=midders;2217451]Unless the video card has specific hardware support for DVD and/or MP4 codecs [B]and[/B] you have software that makes use of this (which is unlikely) then it makes no difference, in fact I wouldn’t even bother with attaching a monitor to your systems, just run XP Pro and use remote desktop connection. The only reason to have a graphics card at all is to make the system boot up successfully, and I would do away with the graphics card entirely if there were a way to get the BIOS to ignore its absence!

Sláinte

midders[/quote]

Just use a motherboard with integrated (on-board) video, then you do not need to install a separate video card. Good for basic systems that do not need to play games - Plus it saves money.