DVD Conversion Fails

This is my first post, but I have searched the forums but didn’t come up with too much.

I have the full version of both DVDtoDVD and DVDtoMobile.

I have 4 VHS tapes and have been wanting to make DVD’s out of them. So at work we have a Panasonic VCR/DVD combo where you can put in a tape and a blank DVD and it will burn it for you while the tape plays. Well I made 4 DVDs from the 4 tapes.

I took them home and decided to make some smaller movies from them using Xvid or H.264. Oh, and just to clarify, these are all home made tapes, so there are no copyright issues.

Well the shortest DVD which is about 20 minutes copied fine and I was able to make a movie that was about 200MB. The other three are longer and ALL of them cause DVDFab to crash.

As soon as I start, or at least with in a few seconds after I start the conversion the program crashes. The first time it did this I did submit an error report, but I am not sure what good that will do.

Just to make sure, last night I took a normal DVD and made a H.264 copy of it with out problems. I have also made disc images of the DVD’s, mounted them in Windows and tried the conversion and it still failed.

The weird thing is that I can use DVDFab to rip the contents to a folder and it works without a problem, but the conversion failed. I tried different codecs as well but none of those made a difference.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it!

Thanks

[QUOTE=Macoland;2281899]This is my first post, but I have searched the forums but didn’t come up with too much.

I have the full version of both DVDtoDVD and DVDtoMobile.

I have 4 VHS tapes and have been wanting to make DVD’s out of them. So at work we have a Panasonic VCR/DVD combo where you can put in a tape and a blank DVD and it will burn it for you while the tape plays. Well I made 4 DVDs from the 4 tapes.

I took them home and decided to make some smaller movies from them using Xvid or H.264. Oh, and just to clarify, these are all home made tapes, so there are no copyright issues.

Well the shortest DVD which is about 20 minutes copied fine and I was able to make a movie that was about 200MB. The other three are longer and ALL of them cause DVDFab to crash.

As soon as I start, or at least with in a few seconds after I start the conversion the program crashes. The first time it did this I did submit an error report, but I am not sure what good that will do.

Just to make sure, last night I took a normal DVD and made a H.264 copy of it with out problems. I have also made disc images of the DVD’s, mounted them in Windows and tried the conversion and it still failed.

The weird thing is that I can use DVDFab to rip the contents to a folder and it works without a problem, but the conversion failed. I tried different codecs as well but none of those made a difference.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it!

Thanks[/QUOTE]

The problem with using a DVD player to record a DVD is you never know whether the format used by the recorder is DVD compliant or whether it’s a ‘proprietary format’, close to DVD format, that’ll only play in similar models.

Do the DVDs you made at work play back on your home DVD player?

You indicated that DVDFab was able to rip them OK to your HD. Did you try a conversion with the ripped data on the HD? (Not the image files).

Are you getting any error messages before Fab crashes? If so, which ones.

Please advise.

OC

:slight_smile:

I hope I don’t get into hot water since this is DVDFab / DVD Region+CSS Free forum.
This is because a standalone was used to make the DVD discs.
You might only need to do through step 3 & try the conversion from that point.Then if it still fails do the DVDShrink part of the process.
1.Copy & Paste the VIDEO_TS folder to a folder on your HD.
When it finishes you need a software FixVTS available here:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...ols/fixvts.cfm
Here is a guide for FixVTS:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...xvts_guide.cfm
Follow the guide with the copy & pasted files as the source.
The backup folder will have the original copy & pasted files.
It will be named FixVTSBackup.This folder will be in the original folder.
The files in the original folder will be the fixed files.
2.Create a VIDEO_TS folder & Move the fixed files to it.
3. Create a folder with the name of the recorded TV shows.
Move the fixed file VIDEO_TS folder to it .
4.Load this folder into DVDShrink.
5.Full Disc/Backup/ TargetDevice/Select backup target:/Hard Disk Folder
Select target folder for DVD output files:New folder with name you choose
6. DVD Region/ Region Free
Then OK .
DVDShrink will make a backup with a new AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folder.
I copied this from another post I made & it was to get ImgBurn to create a disc from copy made by a standalone so WMP would work correctly with the finished disc & also to make the second copy region free.I hope it works for you.I only have DVDFab free so I can’t test it for you.

[QUOTE=cholla;2281955]I hope I don’t get into hot water since this is DVDFab / DVD Region+CSS Free forum.
This is because a standalone was used to make the DVD discs.
You might only need to do through step 3 & try the conversion from that point.Then if it still fails do the DVDShrink part of the process.
1.Copy & Paste the VIDEO_TS folder to a folder on your HD.
When it finishes you need a software FixVTS available here:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...ols/fixvts.cfm
Here is a guide for FixVTS:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...xvts_guide.cfm
Follow the guide with the copy & pasted files as the source.
The backup folder will have the original copy & pasted files.
It will be named FixVTSBackup.This folder will be in the original folder.
The files in the original folder will be the fixed files.
2.Create a VIDEO_TS folder & Move the fixed files to it.
3. Create a folder with the name of the recorded TV shows.
Move the fixed file VIDEO_TS folder to it .
4.Load this folder into DVDShrink.
5.Full Disc/Backup/ TargetDevice/Select backup target:/Hard Disk Folder
Select target folder for DVD output files:New folder with name you choose
6. DVD Region/ Region Free
Then OK .
DVDShrink will make a backup with a new AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folder.
I copied this from another post I made & it was to get ImgBurn to create a disc from copy made by a standalone so WMP would work correctly with the finished disc & also to make the second copy region free.I hope it works for you.I only have DVDFab free so I can’t test it for you.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if you noted this or not, but this is the op’s first post. We don’t know if he has any expertise in DVDs or not.

Download FixVTS, yes, but instead of working your way through a manual fix, use the auto feature - drag and drop the first VOB file into FixVTS, then select all VOBs, and let the program run. Then put it through Shrink as suggested.

The output from Shrink might convert as you wish.

I’m not a beginner to DVD files, and I still cringe when I contemplate using FixVTS manually…

OC

The links to afterdawn no longer work so you will have to google to find FixVTS.
afterdawn still has it & you can do a search on their site for it.
@OCanada;I wasn’t suggesting a manual fix I’m not sure what you meant by that.
To make it clearer here :
Once you have FixVTS .run the FixVTS.exe
1.uncheck In place (no backup!)
You can use Open & open the first .vob or
.drag and drop the first VOB file into FixVTS
2. Select "Full DVD"
The result will be :
There will be a FixVTSBackup folder now in the original VIDEO_TS folder.This folder will have the contents of the original VIDEO_TS folder .It is a backup in case you need to start over.You won’t burn or convert it.
The files in the original VIDEO_TS folder will be the fixed files.These will be the ones not in the FixVTSBackup folder .
3. This would probably be easier move the FixVTSBackup folder to a known location .
4.Now your movie folder should have the fixed files in a VIDEO_TS folder & the usual empty AUDIO_TS folder.
I would first try the conversion with this fixed folder above.

Then if that fails to work correctly do this:
1.Load the fixed movie folder into DVDShrink.
2.Full Disc/Backup/ TargetDevice/Select backup target:/Hard Disk Folder
Select target folder for DVD output files:New folder with movie name.
3. DVD Region/ Region Free
There may be other Prefferences & Backup settings you want to make in DVDShrink depending on what you want.
It is hard for me to completly determine these.
Such as do you want to uncheck the " Enable burning with Nero."

[QUOTE=cholla;2282023]The links to afterdawn no longer work so you will have to google to find FixVTS.
afterdawn still has it & you can do a search on their site for it.
@OCanada;I wasn’t suggesting a manual fix I’m not sure what you meant by that.
To make it clearer here :
Once you have FixVTS .run the FixVTS.exe
1.uncheck In place (no backup!)
You can use Open & open the first .vob or
.drag and drop the first VOB file into FixVTS
2. Select "Full DVD"
The result will be :
There will be a FixVTSBackup folder now in the original VIDEO_TS folder.This folder will have the contents of the original VIDEO_TS folder .It is a backup in case you need to start over.You won’t burn or convert it.
The files in the original VIDEO_TS folder will be the fixed files.These will be the ones not in the FixVTSBackup folder .
3. This would probably be easier move the FixVTSBackup folder to a known location .
4.Now your movie folder should have the fixed files in a VIDEO_TS folder & the usual empty AUDIO_TS folder.
I would first try the conversion with this fixed folder above.

Then if that fails to work correctly do this:
1.Load the fixed movie folder into DVDShrink.
2.Full Disc/Backup/ TargetDevice/Select backup target:/Hard Disk Folder
Select target folder for DVD output files:New folder with movie name.
3. DVD Region/ Region Free
There may be other Prefferences & Backup settings you want to make in DVDShrink depending on what you want.
It is hard for me to completly determine these.
Such as do you want to uncheck the " Enable burning with Nero."[/QUOTE]

You’re right…I was confusing it with the PGCEdit program, which is manual, and much tougher to work with…

OC