Dvd collection onto hard drive

vbimport

I know this subject is like beating a dead horse but ive read some other threads and they seem to either go off in a different direction than what im wanting to do or i just don’t understand. I have a modest collection of dvd’s, blu-rays, and tv series on dvd that i would like to put on a hard drive and watch on my lg lcd tv. i would like them to be organized and preferably have cover art. i would like to keep the full functionality of the dvd( chapter selection and special features if possible). After reading some forums and trying to get going in the right direction i have downloaded dvd-cloner2013 the paid version, handbrake, and dvdfab the free version. Can someone please walk me through step by step how to acheive my goal. Ive seen it done the way i want it on youtube but i cant seem to figure it out.
I have a 1tb external hard drive and an external blu-ray drive for my pc.

If you are going to play straight off the computer to a big (more than 32") screen tv you need to save your coins and get about 6 or more Tb HDDs you will need them.

[QUOTE=mkench;2698145]I know this subject is like beating a dead horse but ive read some other threads and they seem to either go off in a different direction than what im wanting to do or i just don’t understand. I have a modest collection of dvd’s, blu-rays, and tv series on dvd that i would like to put on a hard drive and watch on my lg lcd tv. i would like them to be organized and preferably have cover art. i would like to keep the full functionality of the dvd( chapter selection and special features if possible). After reading some forums and trying to get going in the right direction i have downloaded dvd-cloner2013 the paid version, handbrake, and dvdfab the free version. Can someone please walk me through step by step how to acheive my goal. Ive seen it done the way i want it on youtube but i cant seem to figure it out.
I have a 1tb external hard drive and an external blu-ray drive for my pc.[/QUOTE]

From what you want I don’t think most copiers give a art cover creation and if you want to make full menu option those media copies will have to be in ISO format for you to have your original menu option intact. And the only other program I see you have on there that will give you a iso would be dvdfab hd free but remember it will be in either 4.7 or 8.4gig format iso and for BD I don’t know if dvdfab HD free will work on BD media. I know Imgburn will make iso format of DVD/BD movie but you will first need a program to decrypt the protection before you even get to make them into ISO format with original menus. And even then your LG must be able to mount the ISO format to match the DVD/BD format playback to work. And your computer that has the movies stored has to be able to mount the ISO to be able to stream it as well. From what your asking is alot if you were just watching the movie itself that would be doable but Menu format watching from your computer to LG TV that is more complicated task to do. Also your tv series are those recorded or dvd movie format and or what format are those?

[QUOTE=mkench;2698145]i have downloaded dvd-cloner2013 the paid version[/QUOTE]

Wrong program from what I know it doesn’t work and you spent money for a poorly written program. I could mention another but they are more expensive to get but well worth the money and to get their updates for lifetime as well.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2698250]If you are going to play straight off the computer to a big (more than 32") screen tv you need to save your coins and get about 6 or more Tb HDDs you will need them.[/QUOTE]

I doubt they need that much but first they need to tell us the count of DVD and BD they have and you can from there estimate how much space is needed. I have 50 ISO format movies and they only take 330gig of space far under the 6- 1tb drives your taking about. Rather they should get a WD green 3tb which will store more in one drive and save them more space to still use.

Also significant is what hardware you will use to play the movies on your TV. If you’re using your PC Win7 and MediaBrowser (with MPC-HC), XBMC or Media Center are three viable playback options. Stand alone players are a bit less flexible.

Welcome to the forums mkench.

Perhaps you could put in a link to the youtube video that you watched, so we can see how you want things organized.

You might want to look into a program called XBMC. http://xbmc.org/about/

You don’t necessarily have to use ISO’s of the movies. Ripping the entire movie as files can work also, depending on how you want to organize everything.

The free version of DVDFab will be able to rip both blu ray and dvds in file format. These will be complete copies of the movies. One problem with using DVDFab HD Decrypter is that it lags behind the commercial version on updates, so it may not work for new releases. By the way, virtually no one here will recommend the dvd-cloner program that you have.

There is a free alternative for decryption that will work for you on blu ray. It is called MakeMKV. It can rip both dvds and blur ray, but will give movie only output in an mkv file for dvds. For blu ray, you can use the Backup option, and it will rip the entire blu ray movie to the hard drive as files, not an mkv. You will have to update the beta key each month to keep using it, but that is easily found on their forum: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

I’m not sure why you have Handbrake if you want the full functions of the dvd/blu ray. Handbrake will not retain menus.

MK, our media servers have a whole lot more than a few half-dozen puny 1Tb Drives. (Guys and their small thinking! Always thinking that’s good enough!! Sheesh)

We use DVDFabDecrypter to dump DVD file-sets to hard drives.

Then, our on-screen menu uses the cover-art’s JPG as the Icon for the “batch file” which kicks off the main VIDEO_TS.IFO file for that film’s file-set. This starts playing the DVD’s original file set. All options are there, just as if I had the original disk.

Straightforward, easy to do. If there’s any ‘trick’ to it, it’s doing a File Association with the VIDEO_TS.IFO file to the host-computer’s media player.

As for capacity - it can be added as needed. I’ve never met anyone who buys DVDs or BluRays and throws them away. Therefore, they collect them. And collections always get larger, it seems.

Christine , Maybe a more complete guide would help.

I think the OP wanted to plug the external HDD strait into his TV.
I do this but menus don’t work this way .
I just get a folder icon no cover art. This is fine with me but I don’t think it is what the OP wants.

I assume your set up is a HTPC ?

Its always best to work backwards, starting with the playback device. What this device will play (and how) determines what you should do for ripping and storage.

For example, many current media player boxes will not support full disc playback of BD ISO files, they offer only “BD-Lite” with a playlist selection of the titles on the disc. This might alter your plan for ripping BD discs.

Very good point Dan! :clap:

What everyone was probably thinking but didn’t say. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Generally speaking larger drives are a more efficient way to buy storage volume.

I buy my drives based on the price/gb

Currently I have a pair of 1.5Tb drives for audio (and some recorded concerts)
and another pair of 3tb drives plus a 2tb external for Recorded TV programs and movies.

One decision you need to make is what container format to use.

While some will tell you that MKV files are the most efficient use of space
I adopted mp4 as my file format of choice.

Not that there’s anything wrong with MKV files… both my large format TV’s will play MKV files directly, but I adopted mp4 for computer based playback before the MKV file form was available.

Windows7 computers will playback mp4 natively

I’ve had issues with some MKV files on different computers.

what was the solution to that problem? Well I probably didn’t employ the most elegant solution, what I did was convert the offending files to mp4.

I already knew how to do that…

Like most people I do things the way I’m used to doing them…

So I’ve looked through most of the streams to find my problem, and an answer is just not jumping out at me. It doesn’t seem to have the problems explained by Cinavia, so maybe the omnipotent ones here can tell all.
I have a 4TB backup drive I’ve loaded with movies using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. I then plug the backup into my Sony BluRay USB port and play the movie. I can FFW, RWD, skip scenes even change language audio. I just can’t seem to find subtitles even after double checking to ensure CloneDVD2 subtitles check boxes are checked. When the movie menu plays I have no controls, which hasn’t ever been a problem because the BluRay player seems to have all the controls I need.
Does anyone have an answer to get the Subtitles to play from the backup straight to the BluRay player ?

Welcome to the forums DvlDawg.

I’m not a CloneDVD2 user, but I know it can be used for compression of DVD-Video. Are you using CloneDVD2 to compress the movies, or are you doing a straight rip without compression? Either way, you should still have the movie folder, containing a Video_TS folder and and Audio_TS folder as output.

If you plug the hard drive into your computer and try to play one of these movies with VLC or another media player, can you access the subtitles then? If you can play the ripped movie [B]with[/B] subtitles in the computer, I would say the problem is in your Blu-ray player, and it simply cannot locate them for some unknown reason.

I would suggest trying a rip without using CloneDVD2. [B]Right [/B]click on the AnyDVD fox icon at the bottom right of your screen, then use the built-in ripper within AnyDVD to rip the entire movie to the usb hard drive. (click on Rip Video DVD to Hard Disk) This way you will be assured that the entire DVD is copied to the hard drive. The subtitles [B]will[/B] be included. Then try playing in your stand alone player.

@ Kerry ,CloneDVD2 will leave the subtittle in the rip unless they are unchecked.
The subtitles take so little space I always leave them in.
I do remove audio tracks I don’t want.
That being said my TV isn’t able to access them from the external hard drive connected direct to the TV USB port. I suspect the DvlDawg’s blu ray player works
the same way. If you need subtitles then hard coded to an .avi or any file format like .mp4 that the player will play is necessary.