DVD Cloner V Problem

vbimport

Hello everyone,

I have come here in search of some information and advice.

I have a neighbor who is an older gentleman that is quite up to date with technology for his age, and he always asks me computer questions. Usually I can help him out as his problems are pretty basic.

This time he has me stumped. He told me he was tired of his grandchildren scratching their DVD’s, and that he wanted to make backups of them and that he had bought an application named DVD Cloner V. It makes a local copy of the DVD just fine, but when he tries to burn it to a dual layer media, he gets the error “media does not have enough space” or something to that affect.

He is using an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC Laptop model dv2500 running Windows Vista Home Premium. The installed optical drive is labeled with DVD+R DL, DVD Multi Recorder and light scribe symbols. The media he is using is Memorex DVD +R DL

This morning we spoke for a bit and he told me that after messing around with it last night, he now gets an error message "burning failed, please make sure the DVD R/RW is compatible.

I searched the forum for “DVD Cloner V” and it sounds like the application is just a piece of junk. If that’s the case, I’m guessing the only fix will be to tell him to buy a different application.

Any hints, tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

I won’t judge too much into the software since I don’t own it. But yes most people would say to stay away from that software as it doesn’t truly bypass the encryption of the dvd for proper backups. He most likely would have to by a different product like Dvdfab plat or Anydvd/CloneDVD/CloneCD for proper backup. But there are also free programs that would do alot better then dvd cloner like imgburn or dvdfab HD of which dvdfab HD if he is using DL media would work great together. But make sure when he does backup that he use speed close to the DL rated speed like 2-2.4x only and don’t mutitask when burning as this takes alot of computer resources and HDD. Let that process finish reboot and continue doing what he is doing after that. But also uninstall that program and if he can get his money back. Complain to them saying it doesn’t do what it suppose to do.

Try DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip the movies to the hard drive. This is the free section of DVDFab and will continue to function even after the 30 day trial of the main part of the program expires. http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Rip as files, as there have been some problems with the current version ripping to an ISO.

Next, get a free burning program called ImgBurn. It is highly recommended for burning dual layer dvds. www.imgburn.com
Here is the guide for burning to dual layer media from dvd files: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1780

Now, most importantly, he needs to switch the type of dual layer disks he is using. Verbatim dual layer disks are the only ones reliable enough for us to recommend. Burn them at 4x.

If he wants to try compressing the dvds to fit onto single layer disks, this is easily done with DVDShrink. Shrink is not always effective for decrypting anymore, so stick with DVDFab HD Decrypter for that part, but Shrink is still a good transcoder for compression. And you can remove parts you don’t want, like foreign language tracks or extras. You can find it at www.mrbass.org and there are guides at that site for its use. You can also find some here at cdfreaks in the Copy Movie forum.