DVD Cleaning

What is the best way to clean dirty DVD’s from fingerprints and other smudges?

you can use dvd specified cleaning fluid with microfiber cloth!!!

I have always used just plan hand soap then use a cotton cloth to dry it.

I’ve used Windex and like swifty says, a microfiber cloth. Wipe from the inner ring out, not in a circular motion.

So I guess steel wool is out of the question! :doh:
I usually take a paper towel and make it damp and just clean the dirty spot and not the whole disk!

actually, I find coffee filters dampened with plain water effective. No didrespect to etp, but I think paper towls are to linty.

For badly soiled discs I use fairy liquid and tepid water rinsing off with running water.
I use lint free tissues to dry them.
For lightly soiled I have a tub of CD cleaning wipes.

I’ve had some success recently using furniture polish.

The normal two ways are generally using warm, soapy water (like dishwashing soap) to clean or even some Windex on it, then wipe from hub to the outside in a straight line. Furniture polish is generally used to fill in scratches on a commercially pressed DVD to make it playable or to play better. I have also heard of using a coffee filter to do this also.

Note however, these things can only be done on commercial DVDs, because if you try any of this with regular DVD media (to clean fingerprints off the dye side before burning), it will screw up the dye and increase the number of errors it will have when burned. All you can do then is try to blast off dust with canned air or someone suggested an anti-static feather duster (I don’t know where you would get one though). If you get fingerprints on a regular DVD blank, burn it and hope for the best. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t recoommend Windex, it contains ammonia which is too harsh. A damp, lintless cloth is best, mild soapy warm water for greasy fingerprints.

Windex is extremely hard on any disc curface…I use and have always used the following, even on dvd’s that I have gotten fingerprints on before burning and have never had any problems… :cool:

http://www.madcatz.com/Default.asp?Page=135&CategoryImg=Universal_Accessories

Not good, it cleans discs in a circular motion. OK for CDs but bad for DVDs. DVDs should be cleaned by hand in a straight motion, from hub out to edge. :disagree:

I use a similar machine, CD/DVD Repair Pro. Has a cleaning insert with 2 small round spring loaded self applying the cleaning fluid on 1 side:

http://www.supermediastore.com/cd-repair-pro.html

Also a separate set of repairing inserts. I also use Brasso as replacement polish after much research for the best repair polish.

Mack

the original poster asked fingerprints and smudges, not filling scratches…so the other stand by answer…

1. wear a clean t-shirt, cotton.
  2. hold the disk, index finger in the hole, thumb 180 degrees outside edge of disc
    3)blow on disk with your own breath, enough to fog the surface and blow off dust
    4)use the disk to rub your tummy in a wide left to right motion…or right to left…your choice. never the yum good circular motion.
    5)insert disc and cross fingers…:slight_smile:

I’ve been using glass plus (like Windex) and a towel for the commercial DVD’s that get fingerprints on them. I guess I’m somewhat on the right track.

LOL! Did not mention my steel wool/sandpaper option!
Coffee filters! What a great idea! Thanks man! Nice tip!

Yo-

Suggest using a LCD screen cleaner like ‘iKlear’ or the Monster ‘ScreenClean’ kit - and always with a clean microfiber cloth (available at Costco for cheap)-

Mike

coffee filters?

we’re trying to give tips in how to clean cd/dvd’s not how to make coffee!!! :a

J/K :bigsmile: :slight_smile:

You know! I could use a cup right now! Extra str :bigsmile: :cool: ong!

Yeah, if you want to spend $20 for 10 oz. of Monster Screen Cleaner. Bunch of over-rated thieves.