Dvd/cd writer stopped detecting disks (Samsung SH-S203B / TS-H653B)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203B / TS-H653B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]A couple of days ago my samsung sh-s203b stopped detecting any dvd’s or cd’s that i put in the tray.the only way it will recognize one is if i reboot my PC,then it will work perfectly untill i then put another dvd or cd into it ,in which case it fails to detect the new one. I have updated the firmware and drivers and now am at a loss on what to do next. any help would be appreciated
I am using Vista 64:confused:

Hi dunnyd and welcome:

You could try the attached link. Please post back with the results as there are probably other options for resolving your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Oops: I realized you are using Vista.

I found the following elsewhere:

Follow the directions here to delete the upper and lower filter values in the registry. Then remove the device from the Device Manager and reboot:

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: “error code 31”

While this article says it’s for XP, it’s my understanding that it’ll work just fine for Vista.

[B]It might be worth trying.[/B]