DVD/CD writer/reader

Hello Everyone!

I have recently changed my system from XP to W7.

I have 2 DVD/CD writers/readers

NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A ATA Device
HP DVD Writer 940d USB Device (Useed specifically for Lightscribe)

For some reason, this week they have both stopped opening their drawers. I am now unable to open the drawer to place a DVD/CD into either machine.

I am also unable to open them by inserting a paper clip into the small hole by the drawer which is supposed to open the drawer enough to enable it to be pulled open.

This will prevent me from playing any CDs during the Christmas time - sad!

I would appreciate any assistance.

(I am not technically very clever and would appreciate any assistance in plain, easy to understand language!)

Thanks in advance.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

Colinito

Hi,

two drives going bad the same time is a very rare event. So there could be another reason for this problem, perhaps the PSU is going bad. :eek:

And the paperclip attempt doesn’t work either if your computer is shut down?

Michael

Michael,

Many thanks for your reply.

I had no response when the pc was shut down. I thought that this might be because the power was shut off also. I then turned the power on without starting the pc but this was also unsuccessful.

The annoying part is that when the power and computer are both on, the mechanism is trying to open, the drawer moves slightly but it is as if there is something stopping it from opening. Power is definitely going to both items as their respective lights show green.

I had a look at the links that you have at the bottom of your reply, but they are a little technical for me, and I am also not sure about them as they appear to refer to Samsung products.

Today is Christmas morning. If you read this today, may I wish you and all your loved ones a very good Day, if you read it afterwards, I hope your Christmas Day was very enjoyable!

Regards,

Colin.

Hi,[QUOTE=colinito;2565467]Many thanks for your reply.[/quote]You are Welcome - and many thanks for your Christmas wishes :flower:

I had no response when the pc was shut down. I thought that this might be because the power was shut off also. I then turned the power on without starting the pc but this was also unsuccessful.
Normally, the paperclip trick should work with the computer shut down. Perhaps you didn’t hit the tiny spring (or whatever is inside) properly, so I suggest to try again - perhaps with a stronger paperclip.
I somehow can’t believe both drives are mechanically blocked at the same time.
Or is there a little child around?

The annoying part is that when the power and computer are both on, the mechanism is trying to open, the drawer moves slightly but it is as if there is something stopping it from opening. Power is definitely going to both items as their respective lights show green.

Could you imagine to remove one drive and dismantle it?
Or before you dismantle the unit, remove it from your computer, shake a little bit and see if the paperclip works then.

I had a look at the links that you have at the bottom of your reply, but they are a little technical for me, and I am also not sure about them as they appear to refer to Samsung products.

That is only my signature - totally unrelated to your problem :slight_smile:

kind regards,
Michael

Hello Michael,

Your remark -
“Normally, the paperclip trick should work with the computer shut down. Perhaps you didn’t hit the tiny spring (or whatever is inside) properly, so I suggest to try again - perhaps with a stronger paperclip.
I somehow can’t believe both drives are mechanically blocked at the same time.
Or is there a little child around?”

• is OK. But I used a watchmakers screwdriver to do the job and felt the spring give, and heard the machinery try to open the drawers of both – no success!
    No children have been near them.
    You also said – “Could you imagine to remove one drive and dismantle it?
    Or before you dismantle the unit, remove it from your computer, shake a little bit and see if the paperclip works then.”
    I have removed a reader, and put my old Hard Drive in it’s place, and put it at the top of the tower, unconnected, to cover the place where the panel was taken to put over the hole left by the reader. I have frequently removed the writer to try to replace the front cover with a second-hand one because I broke the button by trying to open it! Both the HP writer which is freestanding and connected by USB, and the writer in the tower will not open by computer command or by pushing their button.
    The pc ‘technicians’ are not interested in such “cheap” machinery and only want to replace them. I am not keen on this as I am pretty sure that they are working, it is only a matter of sorting out the reason for their respective drawers not opening.

I have checked the drivers and they are both up to date.

Thank you for your ongoing help. It’s back to square one, I fear!

(Turkey’s gone, visiting children have gone, all quiet now – possibly a little bit of a “Silent Night”!!

Regards,

Colin

Okay - so one of these units is an external one. This should normally rule out power supply problems. Is there any opportunity to connect that drive to another computer?

Michael

No chance, I’m afraid, Michael, I don’t have another one.
I ‘work’ with a friend who has an Internet jazz radio programme and next time I go there, I’ll try the HP writer on his computer. 'Till then, I shall keep trying at odd times to open them!

Regards

Colin.