Dvd/cd writer malfunction

tried cheapest cd media(poundland) and it worked,now getting same problem with dvd discs.it stopped “seeing” usual brand (datawrite) but will recognise “mr dvd” (poundland) lol .this may sound trivial but its annoying!Also cpu has suddenly stopped creating restore points,system restore will not work,and it worries me cos i need it for a last resort. any suggestions please would be appreciated.

crap in - crap out.

check the dvd media test section.

yeh well thats not very helpful really,since im still watching dvds burned over 3 yrs ago(crap in-good enough for me out).problem is definetely not concerning blank media. i still think something has messed up certain settings on dvd drive.im still able to burn on poundland discs lol,had used ASDA discs from day 1 with good quality results (home viewing).only now drive doesnt “see” that a disc is inserted.(ASDA, Datawrite.) Any suggestions?

If your drive “sees” some discs and not others, chances are that it’s a media problem.

“Crap” media doesn’t mean that all of the discs are unusable - it means that you cannot trust the media, and that there is large variation in the media, resulting in a mix of success and failure to write/read.

So like [B]chef[/B] I suggest trying higher quality media like e.g. Verbatim instead of store brand media, which is usually whatever manufacturer is cheapest at the moment.

The System Restore problem is likely not related to your DVD problem.

The datawrites that worked (in spite of being datawrites) might not even have been made by the same manufacturers unless its from the same packaging (and I’m not sure it will be 100% certain even then). Like most low quality brands, they typically resell whatever is the cheapest media they can find at the time.

ok,i get the point about cheap media but lol,why after 3 yrs of using same media ASDA discs am i getting probs now.It started about the same time system restore failed to work and autoplay function also.Currently using signalex dvd-r discs successfully.Note when i click my computer/dvd drive it says its empty,but when i start a burning program (amok,ashampoo etc ) it recognises the blank disc is there.Plus sometimes after a reboot i get the message “your boot priorities have changed”.These things convince me that something has mucked about with settings. Plz be gentle with the noob!!

[QUOTE=drew.big-dub;2299131]ok,i get the point about cheap media but lol,[B]why after 3 yrs of using same media[/B] ASDA discs am i getting probs now.It started about the same time system restore failed to work and autoplay function also.Currently using signalex dvd-r discs successfully.Note when i click my computer/dvd drive it says its empty,but when i start a burning program (amok,ashampoo etc ) it recognises the blank disc is there.Plus sometimes after a reboot i get the message “your boot priorities have changed”.These things convince me that something has mucked about with settings. Plz be gentle with the noob!![/QUOTE]

Wrong! Not same media, but “same brand”…

[QUOTE=drew.big-dub;2299131]ok,i get the point about cheap media but lol,why after 3 yrs of using same media ASDA discs am i getting probs now.It started about the same time system restore failed to work and autoplay function also.Currently using signalex dvd-r discs successfully.Note when i click my computer/dvd drive it says its empty,but when i start a burning program (amok,ashampoo etc ) it recognises the blank disc is there.Plus sometimes after a reboot i get the message “your boot priorities have changed”.These things convince me that something has mucked about with settings. Plz be gentle with the noob!![/QUOTE]

Because Asda probably switched manufacturers somewhere along the line (last I experienced, they were using CMC to make their discs, but I also know some discs made by AML snuck into the stock).

Signalex probably use a manufacturer for their discs that your drive gets on with. :wink:

If System Restore does not work manually then there is a high probability that you have a virus.

As far as seeing disc try this out for size, if you havn’t already

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060