DVD/CD shows blank

vbimport

Hello
If it is permitted I would like to refer all to the below link - this will save a copy paste and a very large thread.
This is the most comprehensive explantion with details of what I have done already, and as matters are fairly complicated, I will not mind if somebody happens to suggest something that I have already tried.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xphardware/thread/eabc1a40-c513-4d13-84c5-f5c29e9c8eb5

I do not believe that there is a fix for this particular problem, though I am open to any sort of trial/fix, as at this time, I have nothing to loose. But I would be interested to find out what is causing this problem.
I have had it confrmed that I do not need any different driver to open and read any type of disc, that is different to the one I have always had with previous LiteOn DVDs.
This subject is currently running in a number of forums.

Rgds
Damascus

Get another drive, not from Liteon, honestly.

Hello chef
I have a working drive so it would be very difficult to return for a full refund. Mind you I think the others worked quite honestly, but some firms find it more cost effective to just replace returned items.
Though I did think twice about replacing the original LiteOn with another LiteOn - well the first lasted three years but the second 6 months.
I tested a Samsung drive and that didnt work - so its the system that is faulty.
Well the current will be fitted within the hour - I then have a couple of ‘fixes’ to perform - oh I hate going into the registry. If it does not work, then I level my system and start a clean install.
You are not the first to say - ‘not a LiteOn’.

Rgds
Antioch

Hello again

I wonder if somebody would take another look at the link I previously put in the thread - matters have moved on, but slowly - there are some registry entries in that post which do not seem to be correct.
On my laptop, both upper and lower filters show in both places.

Many thanks
Damascus

[QUOTE=damascus;2537184]Hello again

I wonder if somebody would take another look at the link I previously put in the thread - matters have moved on, but slowly - there are some registry entries in that post which do not seem to be correct.
On my laptop, both upper and lower filters show in both places.

Many thanks
Damascus[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if there was anybody in the forums who could supply the exact registry settings for my CD/DVD.
After nearly two weeks, I have still not had any feedback from the manufacturer.

Rgds
Damascus

I don’t know if this will help . I downloaded this program from MS .I got it from one of the links in your posts atsocial.answers.microsoft.com .
This link:
The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
Not applicable – I would never upgrade to Fester :-0
I think you rejected it too quickly. It links to a download for Devcon utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272/

For more information about the filter drivers that may be loaded in Windows Vista, run the DevCon program. To do this, follow these steps:
Obtain and extract the DevCon program. For more information about how to obtain this program and about how to use this program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
311272 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272/ ) The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager

Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
At the command prompt, change the directory to the directory to which you extracted the DevCon files.
Type [B] devcon stack gencdrom[/B] , and then press ENTER.

This listed my drives & it may list your missing drives.I only got it last night & have only had minimum time to fiad out what it does. If it does list your drives it at least shows your OS can see them .
You list of what you have tried is fairly long .I do remember reading something here at club.myce that was different than what you tried but it’s been a while & I need to see if I can find the topic.
I haven’t had the problem you are having but have ran across a lot of the links in your posts .Trying to find out why my Vista OS won’t read a DVD -RW recorded in -VR mode.

[QUOTE=cholla;2538639]I don’t know if this will help . I downloaded this program from MS .I got it from one of the links in your posts atsocial.answers.microsoft.com .
This link:
The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
Not applicable – I would never upgrade to Fester :-0
I think you rejected it too quickly. It links to a download for Devcon utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272/

For more information about the filter drivers that may be loaded in Windows Vista, run the DevCon program. To do this, follow these steps:
Obtain and extract the DevCon program. For more information about how to obtain this program and about how to use this program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
311272 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272/ ) The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager

Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
At the command prompt, change the directory to the directory to which you extracted the DevCon files.
Type [B]devcon stack gencdrom[/B] , and then press ENTER.

This listed my drives & it may list your missing drives.I only got it last night & have only had minimum time to fiad out what it does. If it does list your drives it at least shows your OS can see them .
You list of what you have tried is fairly long .I do remember reading something here at club.myce that was different than what you tried but it’s been a while & I need to see if I can find the topic.
I haven’t had the problem you are having but have ran across a lot of the links in your posts .Trying to find out why my Vista OS won’t read a DVD -RW recorded in -VR mode.[/QUOTE]

Hello cholla[I hope I have pronounced your name correctly] [FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT]
ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
Many thanks for offering your time and help with my problem.
<O:p></O:p>
I had noticed the link etc re devcon, however, I searched my system and wrongly assumed that it was there, as I found it in C:Windows - System32.
However, none of the commands worked. Yet another dead-end I thought.
From your detailed assistance i.e. Collapse this image Expand this image If……….
through to …………and then press ENTER, can I assume that your instructions are as per Vista. I can see no such method.
As I have XP, the command run is slightly different – START-RUN-cmd – OR START –PROGS-ACCESSORIES-COMMAND PROMPT.
Having read your post, I went back and dll the Devcon utility to the desktop.
As is my habit with all installs, I disconnected from the net. Disabled all security in real time, and ran the utility. I opened the zip file and noticed where the [B]3 files[/B] had been placed.
I then performed the command etc and got the same response as I had before –
‘devcon is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable programme or batch file’
So I had a look where it had been placed – Docs & Settings/name/local settings/temp – I found the folder, named ia64[not what I expected – the 64 was a bit suspicious] Now, the unzip said three files – this folder had only one, an application.
I was expecting to see an .exe there as well.
Then it struck me that the ‘path’ was not right that is to a temp folder, so I moved the folder to system32, where I had first found it and thought I already had this utility.
I opened the moved folder to check and it still only contained the application file, with which I can do nothing – when I right click to open it tells me that it is’ not a valid WIN32 application’.
I have searched the system for an .exe but nothing.
Perhaps the unzipper had not worked properly – well it said three files. Tried it three more times and still the same. Then I noticed the folder title and realised I had dll the utility for a 64 SYSTEM AND NOT 32.
Q311272 clearly says that the dll Devcon.exe contains files for both 32 and 64???
Yet when I right click and open the icon on the desktop, the dll I am about to run is entitled ‘devcon.exe’.
Despite the disappointment from not being able to solve this problem, the help I have received from various forums and newsgroups has been tremendous, and I have performed many actions that I would never have considered doing. Yep even venturing into the registry. I still can’t help thinking that the obsolete entries in there for other hardware fitted, cannot help. But as yet, nobody has suggested such a course of action.
Another anomaly, is the removal of the upper and lower filters – a suggestion that has been put forward more than once. Mine are not there in any case – they are not there for any of the other 4 or 5 DVDs that have been in my computer - my laptop has them entered, and so did the other computers to which I attached the current new DVD Drive, and in which it worked perfectly.
Liteon have been no help at all. The retailer has, which is most unexpected.
Thank you again – I think the time has come to do a ‘clean install’ of the OS and if that does not work, then a new HDD.
Something is corrupted somewhere. <O:p></O:p>
Thank you again for your suggestion – it was certainly worth a try, seeing that I had not done it right the first time.
Rgds
Damascus

I honestly don’t know where the

Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image Collapse this imageExpand this image
came from.That must have been a glitch.
You have to run devcon.exe from a command window.
Like in this image:

Hello cholla<O:p></O:p>
Thank you for the info.<O:p></O:p>
I have spent a couple of hours on this now and still cannot get a result from whatever command I wish to enter.<O:p></O:p>
I notice with your pic. that you have ‘cd’ in the command line.<O:p></O:p>
I have no trace of ‘cd’ in my system32 folder.<O:p></O:p>
When I opened/ran and unzipped the DEVCON folder on the desktop, I unzipped directly to the System32 folder in Windows and did not let it un zip to a temp folder in Docs & Settings. <O:p></O:p>
The three files, which the unzip mentioned, are there in the DEVCON folder [created today] – this opens to one file, i386[created today] – this opens up to three files – another i386[created to-day], an ia64 [created today] and a EULA notepad created in 2002. <O:p></O:p>
The second i386 opens to a devcon setup API file [created 2002] which will not open or run as anything.<O:p></O:p>
The ia64 file opens to yet another devcon setup API file [created 2002]. When I open or run as I get what I got before ‘…this is not a valid WIN32 application.<O:p></O:p>
I have tried just about every combination of command including your sample exactly.
<O:p</O:p
Perhaps I am still doing something wrong.<O:p></O:p>
Thanks again for your help.<O:p></O:p>
Rgds<O:p></O:p>
Damascus<O:p></O:p>

cd\ is a DOS command the cd stands for change directory.
I created a DEVCON folder in my C: root.
My administrator Command window starts with " C:\Windows\System32> "
I wanted the directory to be C:\DEVCON\i386 so I cd\ it to that.
The devcon.exe for a Windows 32 bit is in the i386 directory.
Once there it should respond to the command " devcon stack gencdrom ".
type devcon help at the same prompt.

Hello again cholla

What is the difference between >cd and \cd - I will tell you - 3hrs of complete frustration and leading you up and down the garden path - what a bloody idiot
<CENTER>:a</CENTER>It didnt matter where I unzipped the devcon to either.
This is the info obtained -
C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd\DEVCON\i386
C:\DEVCON\i386>devcon stack gencdrom

IDE\CDROMATAPI_IHAP322___9_______________________6L1F____\5&20F2915F&0&0.0.0
Name: ATAPI iHAP322 9
Setup Class: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} CDROM
Upper filters: redbook
Controlling service: cdrom
Lower filters: imapi
1 matching device(s) found.

Now I have them, I have forgotten what I was to do with them.
However, out of the four CDROMs in the registry, I have been able to identify exactly which one the above info points to. It is the one with the 6L1F.
This info is ONLY in the ENUM/IDE and not in the CLASS.
Both upper/lower filters show in the IDE but not in the Class[well I was told to delete them more than once to solve the problem weeks ago-but they were never in there in the first place].

Many thanks for your help - I have at least been able to id the currently fitted CDROM. Now I shall look for some help regarding whether or not the extra entries in the reg. should be removed.

Rgds
Damascus

On the cd the backward slash is used after the the cd like this cd\ or cd \ .
I never posted a >cd for a command & if you do it \cd you should get a not recognized message.
As for the information Devcon has given you so far.It did recognize at least one drive. Is that the only one you currently have connected?
It means the BIOS probably isn’t the problem because if the BIOS didn’t see the drive it wouldn’t be in the Devcon list.
Further it points out that there are filters used for this drive.
I will look into it a bit but I think you will find imapi to be the problem. I’m not sure just deleting it is the fix.
If you look at what Devcon found on my OS you will see it even listed my virtual drive.
I need to play around with Devcon some to see what other information it might yeild.I had never used or even heard of the program before I read the links in the other forum you posted.

Try these commands for Devcon & see if you get any information you can use:

devcon help
For any of the commands: For example devcon help driverfiles

devcon hwids gencdrom

devcon hwids SCSI\CdRom

devcon driverfiles gencdrom

devcon drivernodes gencdrom

devcon findall gencdrom

devcon status gencdrom

[QUOTE=cholla;2539263]Try these commands for Devcon & see if you get any information you can use:

devcon help
For any of the commands: For example devcon help driverfiles

devcon hwids gencdrom

devcon hwids SCSI\CdRom

devcon driverfiles gencdrom

devcon drivernodes gencdrom

devcon findall gencdrom

devcon status gencdrom[/QUOTE]

Hello cholla

I have run the commands - all in attached[I hope]

http://club.myce.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=208349&stc=1&d=1282338215

Rgds
Damascus

Devcon Commands.doc (39 KB)

Hi damascus ; I wish I had more to help & I’m looking into this.
I ran Devcon on my old computer with XP & devcon drivernodes gencdrom was exactly the same.
devcon driverfiles gencdrom of course showed a different drive but the driver files have the same name. They could be different versions though.No way to tell from Devcon.
I haven’t figured out how to use this but it does seem odd:
C:\DEVCON\i386>devcon findall gencdrom
1.IDE\CDROMATAPI_IHAP322___9______6L1C____\5&20F2915F&0&0.0.0: AT API iHAP322 9
2.IDE\CDROMATAPI_IHAP322___9______6L1F____\5&20F2915F&0&0.0.0: AT API iHAP322 9
3.IDE\CDROMATAPI_IHAP322___9______6L1F____\5&20F2915F&0&0.1.0: AT API iHAP322 9
4.IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GH22NP20_1.02_\5&20F2915F&0&0.0.0: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH22NP20
5.IDE\CDROMLITE-ON_DVDRW_SHW-1635S__YS0N_\5&20F2915F&0&0.0.0: LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1635S
6.USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_FREECOM&PROD_CDRW52J&REV_4SR1\10000000000000001F2390&0: FREECOM CDRW52J USB Device
6 matching device(s) found.
It shows you have 6 devices 3 appear to be the same device except one is 6L1C & two are 6L1F . That seems wrong .
Because it only shows one driver running.
C:\DEVCON\i386>devcon status gencdrom
Driver is running.

@ damascus ; I know you’ve had a lot of suggestions but give these a try .One at a time.
To enable CD burning

1.From the Start menu, right-click My Computer, and then click Open.

2.In the Devices with Removable Storage area, right-click the CD drive, and then click Properties.

3.If your CD drive is recognized, you will see a Recording tab. On the Recording tab, verify that the Enable CD recording on this drive check box is selected.

To disable or limit IMAPI

1.Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.

1. Right-click IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service, and then click Properties.

3.Set the Startup type to manual.

On my XP OS this is set to Disable so try with manual & disable.

To reinstall the MS generic cdrom drivers… In my computer, tools, folder
options, view tab, in advanced settings, you’ll need to first mark “show
hidden files and folders”, then uncheck the box for “Hide extensions of
known file types”… Now you can go to the windows\INF folder and find
"cdrom.inf" and right click it, select install from the menu… Remember to
change back to your original settings in folder options.

Download the SPTD standalone installer from http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/downloads
Execute, choose uninstall & reboot.

If none of these help try:
Removing all Roxio & Sonic from your OS may help.
If all of the above fails:
Remove anything Nero ( that you can reinstall if you want or need to)
Reboot in between these .It’s not always necessary but usually good practice.
I saw where you are anti reg cleaner so I won’t suggest CCleaner.I use it & haven’t had problems but I don’t just check everything & let it go.

[QUOTE=cholla;2539540]Hi damascus ; I wish I had more to help & I’m looking into this.
I ran Devcon on my old computer with XP & devcon drivernodes gencdrom was exactly the same.
devcon driverfiles gencdrom of course showed a different drive but the driver files have the same name. They could be different versions though.No way to tell from Devcon.
I haven’t figured out how to use this but it does seem odd:
C:\DEVCON\i386>devcon findall gencdrom
1.IDE\CDROMATAPI_IHAP322___9______6L1C____\5&20F2915F&0&0.0.0: AT API iHAP322 9
2.IDE\CDROMATAPI_IHAP322___9______6L1F____\5&20F2915F&0&0.0.0: AT API iHAP322 9
3.IDE\CDROMATAPI_IHAP322___9______6L1F____\5&20F2915F&0&0.1.0: AT API iHAP322 9
4.IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GH22NP20_1.02_\5&20F2915F&0&0.0.0: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH22NP20
5.IDE\CDROMLITE-ON_DVDRW_SHW-1635S__YS0N_\5&20F2915F&0&0.0.0: LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1635S
6.USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_FREECOM&PROD_CDRW52J&REV_4SR1\10000000000000001F2390&0: FREECOM CDRW52J USB Device
6 matching device(s) found.
It shows you have 6 devices 3 appear to be the same device except one is 6L1C & two are 6L1F . That seems wrong .
Because it only shows one driver running.
C:\DEVCON\i386>devcon status gencdrom
Driver is running.[/QUOTE]

Hello cholla

Nothing strange re the above, as I pointed out already, these are entries for ALL drives previously and currently installed.
I agree that there is something wrong in the registry as I have pointed out elsewhere.
The DVDRW SHW-1635S is the drive fitted when the computer was built to spec.
The IHAP322___9______6L1C i is the one that replaced the above but only lasted six months and was reported as faulty when examined by the retailer.
Then this was replaced with one of the 6L1F.
That did not work and was sent back to be replaced with the current one.
This was replaced, after also being found faulty, by another 6L1F.
The HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH22NP20 is a working drive I connected as a tester after the third[currently fitted] one showed the same symptoms as the others. That did not work either.
The USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_FREECOM&PROD is an external drive which I have used in the past, I cannot currently use this because the DVD drive will not play the install disc.
My Acer laptop shows imapi along with the Lower Filters in ENUM/IDE registry entries.

I have just noticed your other post - did not realise there was one - got no email warning - so I will take a look at what you say.

Rgds
Damascus

[QUOTE=cholla;2539562]@ damascus ; I know you’ve had a lot of suggestions but give these a try .One at a time.
To enable CD burning

1.From the Start menu, right-click My Computer, and then click Open.

2.In the Devices with Removable Storage area, right-click the CD drive, and then click Properties.

3.If your CD drive is recognized, you will see a Recording tab. On the Recording tab, verify that the Enable CD recording on this drive check box is selected.

To disable or limit IMAPI

1.Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.

1. Right-click IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service, and then click Properties.

3.Set the Startup type to manual.

On my XP OS this is set to Disable so try with manual & disable.

To reinstall the MS generic cdrom drivers… In my computer, tools, folder
options, view tab, in advanced settings, you’ll need to first mark “show
hidden files and folders”, then uncheck the box for “Hide extensions of
known file types”… Now you can go to the windows\INF folder and find
"cdrom.inf" and right click it, select install from the menu… Remember to
change back to your original settings in folder options.

Download the SPTD standalone installer from http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/downloads
Execute, choose uninstall & reboot.

If none of these help try:
Removing all Roxio & Sonic from your OS may help.
If all of the above fails:
Remove anything Nero ( that you can reinstall if you want or need to)
Reboot in between these .It’s not always necessary but usually good practice.
I saw where you are anti reg cleaner so I won’t suggest CCleaner.I use it & haven’t had problems but I don’t just check everything & let it go.[/QUOTE]

Hello cholla
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” /><o:p></o:p>
I have no problems at all to copy/paste – drag/drop or burn anything to any disc.
<o:p></o:p>
Enable CD burning
This is already selected.
Disable/limit Imapi –
This is already set to Manual – as is my laptop.
So I have disabled it via properties.
SPTD
His will not open/run – says it is not a valid WIN32 application. I double-checked to make sure I had not dll the 64bit – I hadn’t.
Other Stuff
Don’t have Roxio/Sonic – never have.
Nero[was an old version – but worked] was removed a few weeks back[on similar advice] – gone back to CDBurnerXP
Re reg cleaners – I have no idea what is what in the registry – I have changed entries twice, and at both times I was led by the hand via an expert in Bleeping Computers.
I have used CCleaner in the past but only to clean away other stuff – I now do this manually – in that respect I know what I am doing.
I have reset all changes made back to the original settings.
I have no info update from other forums etc.
Sorry I have got another dead-end.
Rgds
Damascus

For the SPDT:
1.Download the installer & “Run as Administrator”.
It will detect if you have SPDT installed & give you the option to Uninstall.
If you don’t have it installed don’t install it.
Since you already had the imapi set to manual you might set it back to manual & Start it.
This shouldn’t do any harm & you can always stop it form Services just like you can start it.
You may not have any Roxio or Sonic but this is sometimes used & installed with other software.Use your Search function & see if it comes up with either.

Try this from this link it may get rid of the “extra” drives that were old installs.
I have had other drives in my computer & devcon findall gencdrom only lists the currently present ones.
http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=1474
I didn’t see any virtual drives in the list so this is probably not a problem you have but since this sometimes is .
Have you ever had Daemon Tools or Alcohol installed ?

I posted this before but didn’t see if you tried it.
To reinstall the MS generic cdrom drivers.

1. In my computer/tools folder options/view tab/advanced settings.
  2. Mark “showhidden files and folders”
  3. Uncheck the box for “Hide extensions ofknown file types”.
  4. Go to the windows\INF folder and find "cdrom.inf.
  5. Rght click it, select install from the menu.
  6. change back to your original settings in folder options.