DVD/CD-RW Drive not reading ANY discs? (Acer DVR106RD)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Acer DVR106RD. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Well I just told my mom to spend some of her money on these DVD+R because I didn’t think my laptop worked with DVD-R CD’s but it doesn’t read them either and I got 20 movies I really want to put on CD’s but I can’t because my computer only reads CD-R CD+R and not DVD+R or DVD-R and I really need somebodies help because this is really pissing me off and it worked in the summer but I come back to Canada and it doesn’t work with any CD’s I even burned and watched a movie in America Miami with my cousin but now it’s just being stupid and it’s pissing me off and I really need help here are my DVD specs: DVD/CD-RW Combo Ultra Speed compact disc rewritable. My computer is an Acer Aspire 3100 with AMD Sempron Processor 3400 1.8GHz ATI Radeon Xpress 110 512mb DDR2 Ram but I bought 3 gigs of ram. Anyways I would appreciate help and fast. Thanks,

Alan

PS: I am also from RaGEZONE I am new to this forum quite popular over there but I need help for my DVD/CD-RW Combo thanks.

PSS: My personal computer is a laptop just incase anybody wanted to know that.

Original post http://forum.ragezone.com/f338/dvd-cd-rw-drive-not-reading-any-disks-497325/#post4369751

Ok, lets go through this step by step.

One. Does the drive show the name of the movie in My Computer when you put the disk in? In other words, is it reading a commercially made dvd movie at all?

Next. Do you have software installed that is specifically designed to play dvd video? PowerDVD or WinDVD are two commercial products for this. VLC or Media Player Classic are two free ones.

Which burning program are you using? Are you using XP or Vista in this computer?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2157440]Ok, lets go through this step by step.

One. Does the drive show the name of the movie in My Computer when you put the disk in? In other words, is it reading a commercially made dvd movie at all?

Next. Do you have software installed that is specifically designed to play dvd video? PowerDVD or WinDVD are two commercial products for this. VLC or Media Player Classic are two free ones.

Which burning program are you using? Are you using XP or Vista in this computer?[/QUOTE]

For one: Yes it does for movies that are burnt on discs already but if I put in a blank DVD-R or DVD+R it just doesn’t show at all but a CD-R or CD+R it shows up and reads it and everything but just doesn’t open in My Computer (E)

Two: Yes I do I have Windows Media Player 11 but I’m talking about burning a disc not reading normal movie discs. Also it just plainly doesn’t read the blank CD’s SOMETIMES it shows the CD by the mouse but it doesn’t load.

I am using Vista on my Laptop Acer Aspire 3100 also I just want to see if it even shows up in My Computer yet it doesn’t and I used Windows Media Player to burn Wanted the movie but I couldn’t it says Please insert a disc. and when I click on it it ejects my disc tray, and my DVD+R is in there I have tried both DVD+R and DVD-R and it still doesn’t work.

Alright. I just wanted to know if the drive was still reading dvds and is still functioning in that manner.

When you load a blank dvd and it changes to CD drive instead of DVD drive, that is an annoying little glitch in Windows. I’m not sure there is a fix for it. But it shouldn’t affect burning.

Apparently you are trying to burn movies that are already on the hard drive? That was another reason I asked about it reading disks, as I don’t know where your movies are.

Don’t use the built in burning engine in Vista. Use a separate burning program. What format are the movies in right now? Are they already dvd-video, ready to go to disk, or are they avi or mp4?

I do all my video burning with ImgBurn, but it won’t convert avi or other formats to dvd-video. CDBurnerXP is another free option, but it is also just a burning program.
So right now I need to know the format of your movies. You can also download ImgBurn and tell me what it reports when you put a blank dvd into the drive.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2157450]Alright. I just wanted to know if the drive was still reading dvds and is still functioning in that manner.

When you load a blank dvd and it changes to CD drive instead of DVD drive, that is an annoying little glitch in Windows. I’m not sure there is a fix for it. But it shouldn’t affect burning.

Apparently you are trying to burn movies that are already on the hard drive? That was another reason I asked about it reading disks, as I don’t know where your movies are.

Don’t use the built in burning engine in Vista. Use a separate burning program. What format are the movies in right now? Are they already dvd-video, ready to go to disk, or are they avi or mp4?

I do all my video burning with ImgBurn, but it won’t convert avi or other formats to dvd-video. CDBurnerXP is another free option, but it is also just a burning program.
So right now I need to know the format of your movies. You can also download ImgBurn and tell me what it reports when you put a blank dvd into the drive.[/QUOTE]

No it doesn’t change to CD it just doesn’t read DVD-R or DVD+R’s at ALL like nothing in My Computer and nothing in my disc drive (E).

My movies are on my second half of my hard drive which is D:

But when I was in Miami I used Windows Media Player 11 and it worked fine with movies but I understand yes I should use Nero.

The movies are in Avi format.

Alright dude I’ll give it a try with ImgBurn do I just google it or is it in Downloads section here? You know what nevermind I’ll just google it. My disc drive just doesn’t correspond with any dvd disc I put in so when I try to burn it just doesn’t show anything and it tells me to put in a dvd into the drive then it ejects. Anyways let me try ImgBurn and get back to you again thank you for helping me.

Also I was trying this from a friend on RaGEZONE:

[b][u]WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Curretcontrolset/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes. NOTE: If this data type is missing, continue to the next method.
7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
8. Quit the Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Method 2: Replace Existing Driver
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. If Control Panel is in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

-or-

If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click System.
3. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
4. Click the drive with the question mark next to it.
5. On the Action menu, click Uninstall. When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click OK.
6. Repeat steps 4 through 5 for any other drives with question marks.
7. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.[/b][/u]

Also this is my ImgBurn log:

I 22:21:20 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!
I 22:21:21 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6000)
I 22:21:21 Total Physical Memory: 2,749,824 KB - Available: 1,804,404 KB
W 22:21:21 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.
I 22:21:21 Initialising SPTI…
I 22:21:21 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
I 22:21:21 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW!

If you just want to burn to disk as avi files, that should be simple. No conversion necessary there, and you should be able to burn as data on the blank dvds.

Once you put a disk in the drive and open ImgBurn you should see a window on the right side that shows the type of disk you have. You should also hear the drive spin up the disk.

Select a file, make a label, set your burning speed (4x is your maximum?), then hit the disk icon to start the burn.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2157457]If you just want to burn to disk as avi files, that should be simple. No conversion necessary there, and you should be able to burn as data on the blank dvds.

Once you put a disk in the drive and open ImgBurn you should see a window on the right side that shows the type of disk you have. You should also hear the drive spin up the disk.

Select a file, make a label, set your burning speed (4x is your maximum?), then hit the disk icon to start the burn.[/QUOTE]

No I don’t see a window telling me the information on my CD but when I put Calculate space remaining it shows me the information and the space I have left. Also I don’t hear a disk spinning in the drives. 6x is my maximum I believe if not it’s 4 the disk icon is shaded in and I cannot click on it… but it shows that I have a CD inside my dvd drive.

Edit: Alright it’s lighted up now and I can click on it but it asks me if I want to save it and I don’t want to save it o.o

You don’t see something like this?

Well this is what I have it’s sorta like yours but the right side is like shaded:

Make sure you are in Write Mode in ImgBurn. Just click the Mode at the top of this window, then click on Write.

Add an avi file by clicking the little file icon next to “Please select a file”

Lets do a test burn just to see if anything is working. Put your burn speed to 4x.

Click on the information tab in that window. I don’t like that it says Medium Not Present. It isn’t detecting the disk.

Ok, now that I have the real id for the drive, it comes up as an LG GCC-4244N. That is a cdrw-dvd rom drive.

It cannot write to dvds. Only to cds. It cannot recognize blank dvds at all for writing purposes.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2157463]Make sure you are in Write Mode in ImgBurn. Just click the Mode at the top of this window, then click on Write.

Add an avi file by clicking the little file icon next to “Please select a file”

Lets do a test burn just to see if anything is working. Put your burn speed to 4x.[/QUOTE]

Alright I took a picture of it and I changed it to write and I took a picture of it before I did it so here.

I’ll try writing it now alright one second.

Alright that really really sucks cause now I cannot make any movies on CD’s how come I only can burn in CD’s and also I have burned on DVD CD’s before? How come now I can’t?

If that is the correct id for that drive, it is what is called a combo drive and can read and write to all types of cd media, but can only read dvds.

Lg’s pages for that drive are quite confusing. It says it is a cdrw-dvd rom drive, then on the specs says it can burn dvdr!!! That’s nuts. Combo drives cannot burn dvds.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2157469]If that is the correct id for that drive, it is what is called a combo drive and can read and write to all types of cd media, but can only read dvds.

Lg’s pages for that drive are quite confusing. It says it is a cdrw-dvd rom drive, then on the specs says it can burn dvdr!!! That’s nuts. Combo drives cannot burn dvds.

One word for this situation “CENSORED” how I’m I supposed to move 20GiB’s of movies onto my mothers computer… On the side of my laptop it says…

Also it’s a laptop it’s so gay how I can’t burn DVD’s but can I burn files? Like can I just archive 5 of my movies and burn them on it and then put them on my moms computer and delete them off the CD since it’s RW (Re-writable)?

Only suggestion I’ve got at this point is to set up a local network and move it across using ethernet. Let it run overnight.

Good luck to you.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2157477]Only suggestion I’ve got at this point is to set up a local network and move it across using ethernet. Let it run overnight.

Good luck to you.[/QUOTE]

How can I accomplish this? Lol cause I really have no idea how to? If you have a tutorial or something can you please post it cause I have to do this as soon as possible cause I’m gonna be in a car for most likely 3 days and my car has a DVD and Monitor at the top of the car so I can watch movies but if I can’t burn these videos I’m screwed staring at nothing for 3 days.

This is easy to do if you have a router, but I’m assuming you don’t. You’ll need a crossover cable going directly from one computer to another. Both computers will have to have ethernet ports of course. Then just use the network setup wizard that is built into the operating system.

I’m not really an expert on this. Best to do a bit of Googling for more exact instructions.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2157488]This is easy to do if you have a router, but I’m assuming you don’t. You’ll need a crossover cable going directly from one computer to another. Both computers will have to have ethernet ports of course. Then just use the network setup wizard that is built into the operating system.

I’m not really an expert on this. Best to do a bit of Googling for more exact instructions.[/QUOTE]

Wow I’m a lucky **** ( Well for this) I have a 50FT cable and a router Network Setup Wizard so as soon as I plug them it it should pop up on both our computers or only one?

You’ll need both computers connected to the router. Start up in Vista, click on the Network icon on the Desktop. Hit Networking and Sharing Center. Then hit Set up a connection or Network.

You’ll need to run the network wizard on both computers. Use the same name for your network in both computers.

But really, you’re stretching me into areas I don’t know a great deal about. You’d do better to find a guide online using Google. :slight_smile: