DVD/CD-ROM drives gone

vbimport

hey everybody,

heres my problem, i am unable to read/burn any cd’s on my computer.
i’m not to sure when this happened but i think it was after i installed the windows XP SP3 update.

my DVD/CD-ROM drive from my device manager is gone.
whenever i put in any CD’s it does not do anything.
i’ve tried deleting the upper and lower filters from the registry editor.
i’ve also tried look through the bios to see if i had accidently changed anything but i dont know where everything is in the bios setup so i thought it’d be better if i stayed out of there for the moment.

could anybody help? thanks.

Same thing that happend to me.
But I had SP3 for a while and then all of sudden my drives were not working.

Try uninstalling SP3.

When I was fooling around with a new install, I noticed that after I upgraded from SP2 to SP3 that my optical drives were not recognized (or similar)… After I uninstalled SP3, everything was OK again.

I have updated SP3 couple months ago… and worked fine. both my DvD rw/rom drives worked fine playing dvd games and music cd’s… and then all of a sudden it stoped working and now evry time i put in Any cd of any kind or any DvD movie/game/music anything. the computer gives me this error…disk structure is corrupted and unreadable, iv tryed safemode. uninstall/reinstall. iv looked thru the device manager sez device is working properly. and trubleshoot dosent do nething… but nomater what on either of the two drives i cant play any cd or dvd. iv also tryed useing just 1 of them. and tryed changeing out the IDE cables… and tryed a normal cd rom drive… it still gives me the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. windows works fine…i think, i can play my old TA: k game its saved on the HDD… but i cant play any of my cd/dvd games… or even put in a music cd… and another thing i posted but no1 respoded to… b4 this happin for a few months now… i couldent play movies or music cd’s with quality sound or without the video lagging it would play smooth but evry 3-5 seconds would freeze on song’s or movies… and a buzz like sound as if it pc was over loaded or something would happin… however games seamed to play fine… only music or movies seamed tobe affected… and the pc is 3.333ghz cpu with 1gig ram so i had enuff resorses too play the movie//music…

[QUOTE=mld2walla;2123751]I have updated SP3 couple months ago… and worked fine. both my DvD rw/rom drives worked fine playing dvd games and music cd’s… and then all of a sudden it stoped working and now evry time i put in Any cd of any kind or any DvD movie/game/music anything. the computer gives me this error.[/QUOTE]
Have you added/deleted any software between the time you updated to SP3 and now?

If so, is it possible one of those programs corrupted something?

Do you have Automatic Updates for Windows turned on? Is it possible one of those updates might have hosed something?

Seems far-fetched, but at this point nothing should be out of the realm of impossibility…

Um i had Never winter nights2 installed b4 sp3. and been playing it for awail b4 dvd drives went out… the game is dvd and both my drives went out… so i cant play anymore. the automatic updates are turned off however the pc is not connected to the internet at all… phoneline or highspeed ect… im on another pc via satilight… i have installed however rescently. TA:K (total Annihilation: Kingdoms) a old 1999 pc game… i been playing in direct pc connect via cable modem with his pc. he has sp2 and windows xp home. i have windows pro sp3… i duno anything about any viruses he has on his pc that might of shared onto mine thru system link playing TA:K however i cant do anything about it as no money and nomater what anti virus i buy and pay for dose absolutly nothing… x.x norton/defender pro/ mcafee… all do nothing evry time they all show up the same virus over and over. so i tossed couple good pcs bc of it. x.x anywase yeah i installed TA:K rescently but the drives worked at lest 1day after i installed the game… and updated it. and played it via the cd… but later installed the full game tothe HDD and now play it with out a CD. but shortly like 23 hr’s after that. both the dvd drives quit… one was hooked up… and other wasent was just sittin in the case not hooked up as a spare… and to keep safe… and there both at lest 1-4 years old not exactly shure… but anywase. when i connected my spare. it didint work either… both seam to quit exactly at the same time…

Ok i did a test. i pulled out both dvd drives and put them in my friends pc… they both work fine on cd/dvd’s games and movies… however i put them back in mine and neither work… i uninstalled ALL games :’( Crys and all new software utilitys ect… evrything sept windows and service packs. and .netframwork 1.0, 1.0patch and 2.0… *dont know why 1.0 and patch, and 2.0 is installed maby it has to be?.. anywase evrything is uninstalled. and also uninstalled the dvd drives and let windows reinstall. and rested the pc. and still no luck same error or system lag… :frowning: