DVD/CD plays nothing

My name is Bill and I hail from California. I have been searching for an answer for weeks and stumbled across your site. It has a lot of information and maybe I missed what my problem is. I was hoping if I explained it to someone, you might save me a trip to the computer store for repairs.

I am running
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual
Core Processor 4600+
2.41 GHz 1.96 GB of RAM

Here is my problem. I have two DVD/CD rom drives. One is Sony DVD RW DW-D22A and the other is
Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1S. When I insert a blank CD or DVD (it doesn’t matter which format it is, to include rented movies or store bought CD’s) nothing happens. It use to work just fine and now it doesn’t. I have even used restore points a month in the past when it use to work, and that did not work.

When I bring up ‘my computer’ both drives are showing. When I click on properties, it shows that this device is working properly. In device manager it indicates they are enabled. When a disc is in either drive and I try to open it say there is nothing in the drive.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both drives with negative results.

I have updated the drivers with negative results.

When I insert a disc I hear make the normal sound the drive should make but I get nothing.

My computer has never been damaged. It might be a bit dusty on the inside, but I don’t think that would make both non-op.

The autorun no longer comes up. It used to be that when I inserted a disc I would get a popup asking me what I wanted to do…NOPE, not anymore.

I currently use DVD Decrypter to rip DVD’s and sometimes when that one didn’t do it I used AnyDVD and that always worked although it was a bit slower. I then use Roxio to burn my discs. But I cannot get the drives to recognize anything.

Dude, this is driving me absolutely insane. I know it must be a simple solution, but I cannot figure it out. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Bill
Clovis, Ca