DVD/CD drive not recognizing CDs

Hope this is a software issue, but fear it may be hardware.

Acer Aspire 5750 laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. Pioneer DVR-TD11RS DVD/CD drive.

While burning music to a CD using WMP, I encountered a failure. Now the drive will not recognize that a CD is in the drive. Will not see either a blank CD disk or a commercial CD disk. However, it does properly play a DVD.

Device manager tells me the device is working properly. I uninstalled/reinstalled the driver from device manager. Microsoft Fix-it doesn’t fix it. A quick look in the registry does not show any upper or lower filters. ‘Opti Drive Control 1.70’ does not see a disk so will not allow me to do any tests.

Does not see a disk in safe mode. Tried booting from the CD drive with a bootable disk - no luck. Found an exact replacement drive on ebay and tried that. Same results. I have a slimSATA to USB adapter cable on order, and will try the drive(s) externally when arrives.

I’m down to suspecting a motherboard failure in the data path, but am crossing my finger that it may still be a software issue. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The drive uses a different laser for CD’s compared to DVD’s. But finding two identical drives, both with defective CD lasers seems unlikely.

You’ve done most of the tests possible. I might have tried going to a restore point prior to the start of the problems, but don’t know if that is still possible.

Once you have the adapter cable, you might try the drive in another computer.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, a restore point was the first thing I tried.

The replacement drive is (supposedly) new. Got it from Ascendtech.us, not ebay. Looks like I may have gotten the last one as the item is no longer on their website.

[QUOTE=dave_l;2727600]Thanks for the reply.

Actually, a restore point was the first thing I tried.

The replacement drive is (supposedly) new. Got it from Ascendtech.us, not ebay. Looks like I may have gotten the last one as the item is no longer on their website.[/QUOTE]

Or try eBay for replacement drives as well and they could be cheaper then Ascendtech and you have more choices.

Did you try to go into the BIOS and see if the BIOS has gotten changed. Just a thought

Well in the end it turned out to be a bad drive.

First replacement unit didn’t work, in fact after running it from a SlimSATA/USB adapter cable, found it wasn’t spinning up at all. Sent that one back to the vendor and ordered another one from a different source.

The second replacement didn’t work. It made lots of noise (head movement noise, not rotational noise) and when ejecting, the head didn’t look like it was properly parked. Almost sent that one back too. Manually moved the head carriage back and forth over the full range and tried it again. EUREKA!

Now the first one I sent back may get me a spare replacement. And in the excitement, I ordered a third one. So I may end up with two spares. Good thing none of them cost me more than $18.00. Maybe I’ll have to sell them on ebay… :slight_smile: