DVD/CD Drive does not recognise discs

vbimport

All of a sudden, my laptop has stopped recognising any discs that i put in. There is no error message, it just says “please insert disc”. I have no idea what caused it or how to fix it so any help would be greatly received

First off Welcome to the forums Beckyj

Most of the time that is a sign of a dead or dying drive but maybe another
member with laptop drive experience can give you some better ideal of how
to fix it.

Well that doesn’t sound promising at all… :frowning:

Thanks for replying

Read the post… have the same problem. I have vista. The problem is caused by a glitch (not a bug). if you have any software installed from a CD or DVD (Video games, anti-virus programs e.t. ) before the problem started then get that disc out. You must choose one that can only start with the disc. Insert it but don’t click on the drive. Instead click on a shortcut on your desktop or other place. It should now turn on normally. Then take out that disc and insert the one you want to play. It should take some time.

Beckyj, you might want to try and clean the lens on the CD drive. If this is a tray style drive, when the mechanism is ejected from the laptop you should be able to see a small round piece of glass it may look bluish. You can very very gently clean it with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Make sure you let it fully dry before starting up the drive.