DVD capacity

vbimport

Single-layer DVDs have a stated capacity of 120min of video. I assume the actual capacity of a disc depends on the quality of the video and audio you actually burn. For example, if you create a video with no audio track or use a low bitrate MP3 audiostream you should be able to store more than 120 min (the video being the same, of course). Is this right. Does the 120 min refer to standard Hollywood DVD quality videos.

A SL DVD has 4.37 GiB (4.70 GB) storage capacity. How many minutes of video playback that is depends on the bitrate of the video stream, space taken up by audio streams, subtitles, extras, previews, etc. There really isn’t a “standard” average video bitrate for Hollywood releases–they’re all compromises between quality and space requirements.

[QUOTE=tropic;2142399]A SL DVD has 4.37 GiB (4.70 GB) storage capacity. How many minutes of video playback that is depends on the bitrate of the video stream, space taken up by audio streams, subtitles, extras, previews, etc. There really isn’t a “standard” average video bitrate for Hollywood releases–they’re all compromises between quality and space requirements.[/QUOTE]

OK, then 120 min means if you copy the typical commercial DVD your limit will be 120 min. But if you create your own non-standard video, then the limit is 4.7GB and not necessarily 120 min.

So, for example, if I create a “video” with no video stream (a blank jpeg) and and audio stream, then that audio stream will fill the 4.7GB space of the DVD and give me 500+ min of music playing time,

Is this right?

[B]sc_1004[/B]
To your first post.
You cannot have DVD with mp3 audio, unless the video is mpeg4 (DivX).
Regular DVD has AC3 or LPCM(CD type audio) audio format.
If you want to burn only audio in mp3 format on DVD, than make sure that your player will play that format, because DVD will not play in CD player.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2142575][B]sc_1004[/B]
To your first post.
You cannot have DVD with mp3 audio, unless the video is mpeg4 (DivX).
Regular DVD has AC3 or LPCM(CD type audio) audio format.
If you want to burn only audio in mp3 format on DVD, than make sure that your player will play that format, because DVD will not play in CD player.[/QUOTE]

I was using MP3 only as an example. What I want to do is put CD audio music on a DVD, but it seems like the only way to do this is to create a “video” with the CD audio track sans the video. By the sounds of it, I will use the PCM format, but my original question remains: if I do this, will I have a DVD “video” that plays 500 min of music?

Btw, I plan to use Windows Movie Maker to import the audio CD files (as WAV) and produce either an AVI or WMV format video. Then I plan to use Windows Media Center to produce a DVD video from the AVI/WMV.

Two questions: one, will WMM compress or alter the WAV files in any way that distorts the music irreversibly?; and two, when WMC converts the audio track to the PCM format - which I understand uses a higher sampling freq - what distortions may be introduced in that process?

Interesting link: Crazy Guy Crams 50 Albums onto a Single DVD… Local Authorities Scratch Their Heads in Bewilderment.

use ImgBurn in build mode.

in this example, i have 569 mp3’s [42 folders, each representing cd album] on one dvd5. depending on the quality, file size, you maybe able to burn up to, or over, 1000 mp3s on one dvd!! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=sc_1004;2142545]So, for example, if I create a “video” with no video stream (a blank jpeg) and and audio stream, then that audio stream will fill the 4.7GB space of the DVD and give me 500+ min of music playing time,

Is this right?[/QUOTE]

This statement is correct.

As for distortion. PCM is only different in sampling rate, so unless you want to check the result with analyzer I am sure you will hear no difference, but again, it all depend on quality of conversion software.

[QUOTE=sc_1004;2142392]Single-layer DVDs have a stated capacity of 120min of video. I assume the actual capacity of a disc depends on the quality of the video and audio you actually burn. For example, if you create a video with no audio track or use a low bitrate MP3 audiostream you should be able to store more than 120 min (the video being the same, of course). Is this right. Does the 120 min refer to standard Hollywood DVD quality videos.[/QUOTE]

As is obviously the case, the capacity of single-layer DVDs depends on the quality of the video (and to a lesser extent, audio) you actually burn. The 120-minute recording capacity of a single-layer DVD assumes a CBR video bitrate of 5 Mbps (5000 kbps) with an audio bitrate of 192 kbps and a single menu no larger than 30 MB in size. However, most Hollywood DVD videos use VBR with an average video bitrate between 5.5 Mbps (5500 kbps) and 6 Mbps (6000 kbps) - and with multiple menus and chapters to boot. Using the Hollywood-standard bitrates will result in less recording time - closer to 100 to 105 minutes, rather than 120 minutes - per single-layer disc.