Dvd burns only half the dvd (HP DVD1040i)

[qanda]This thread is about the HP DVD1040i. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have an HP DVD1040 external dvd writer. It only burns half the cd. I am using Nero 7 ultra edition. I have also tried Dvd flick and it does the exact same thing???

This may be a silly question, but how big is the file you are trying to burn?
Is it about 700 MB for CD or less than 4.7 (around 4.3) GB for DVD?

I am trying to burn a dvdrip about 700mb

I have been reading something about Ide Channel - I have gone into my device manager and i can see that on
Device 0
Device Type is greyed out but says auto detection.
Tranfer mode is set to “DMA if available” and the
curent transfer mode is "Ulta DMA Mode 5"
Device 1
Device Type auto detection.
Tranfer mode is set to “DMA if available” and the
current transfer Mode is greyed out but say Mot Applicable?
is this all correct?

It may be correct, but it depends on how many devices are plugged in.
You have two IDE channels each one has Device0 (master) and Device1(slave), so you can plug in four devices. First channel and Device0 will be, most likely, your hard drive, unless it is SATA.
Are all four channels occupied?

P.S.
Sorry. I re red the first post. You are talking about [B]external[/B] drive, that one is USB not IDE.

When you burn, does it burn whole file on DVD.
If the file is 700 MB, you will see only about 30% of DVD burned. If you burn it on CD it should be almost full.

Thank you very much for trying to help.

I am using Sony DVD + and i tried DVD - as well-same thing. So since it is an external burner the ide does not matter?

On my previous computer I used the same software and i always burnt the DVD rips that were about 700 mb and when I burnt the dvd it used most of the 4.7 out of 4.8

thanks

[QUOTE=jclarsen;2196630]Thank you very much for trying to help.

I am using Sony DVD + and i tried DVD - as well-same thing. So since it is an external burner the ide does not matter?

On my previous computer I used the same software and i always burnt the DVD rips that were about 700 mb and when I burnt the dvd it used most of the 4.7 out of 4.8

thanks[/QUOTE]

You were getting mpeg4 file (700 MB), when burning to DVD (mpeg2), DVDit was converting it to that format. That is why you ended up with larger file size which would fill DVD5 (4.7GB).
What exactly is your problem now?

Same problem nothing has changed. it only burns a 1/4 to 1.2 the movie.

[QUOTE=jclarsen;2196428]I am trying to burn a dvdrip about 700mb[/QUOTE]

Since this is the case, it could be a problem with external drive.
If you used Nero it will generate log file which should indicate why the burn is not complete.
If you can post it it will be a good to see.
There is also software ConvertXtoDVD, most people use. They have a trail version. Check that one and see.

I’m having the same issue and i have an HP DVD1170, but it only happens with certain movies, i’ve burnt a bunch of movies so far with no problems using dvdflick, but on a couple of movies it only burns about 40-50mins of the movie and the it stops. What can I do to fix it?

Have you checked to see if the movie is being converted properly by DVDFlick before burning to a disk? If you have been burning automatically from DVDFlick, try setting the output as dvd video folders on the hard drive, then play through them, skipping through the chapters until you are certain that all the movie is there.

Then try burning manually with ImgBurn.

If you need software for playback of dvds on the computer, try VLC: www.videolan.org

I did check on the movies that stop halfway through and it seems dvdflick is only converting half the movie, but what throws me is its only happening with a couple of movies all my other ones convert and burn perfectly, is there anything i can do to make sure its converting the full movie?

Are you converting more than one video file at a time? In other words, adding two or more videos into one compilation dvd?

You should examine the files that don’t convert properly with MediaInfo and see their characteristics. Also compare them to some files that have converted properly. See if you can find a common thread. MediaInfo is free to download and use. I find the Tree View within it to be the most informative.

There could be some settings within the video files that DVDFlick just doesn’t like. Qpel in xvid files for example.

You can try another free converter also. I like AVStoDVD. It is very similar in function to DVDFlick. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

HI you can also check if your not busy converting PAL and NTSC movies at the same time. i know that some software will not take movies thats mix with PAL and NTSC format. movies must be of the same format to convert to disc. also check if your getting an error message that says something like ‘BAD media’ that means it might be your DVD discs your using. might be unstable while burning due to high burning speed. there is also 2 more options if all els fails. that you might wanna check out. 1st mayb try and reboot you pc. might be having conflict some where. or 2ndly uninstall your secondary Channel under DEVICE MANAGEMENT/ATA/ATAPI then just reboot or scan for hardware changes. this helps when there is burn error logged on your writers drive. it can make your writer not function correctly. GOOD LUCK.

I tried burning one of the movies that only burns halfway with dvd flick with the avstodvd and it converted and burnt but wont play on any of my dvd players or in my harddrive, not sure what I did wrong there.

I’m not trying to convert more than one video at a time, how do I go about finding the files that arent converting and looking at them with that program mediainfo?

Just use your original source, so no converting would be necessary.

Pretty sure(not 100%) that the OP’s player does not support DivX/Xvid AVI playback…
So, @ OP, what media are you using and what speed are you burning them?..If I had to guess, I’d say it’s a burner/drive issue, but maybe the converting app(s) are having probs with the original source files, as stated above…
DL’d MediaInfo as suggested and post a screenshot here…Or at least post the spec details.
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en