DVD Burning

vbimport

Hi :slight_smile:

Ive recently been trying to burn dvd’s onto disc to watch on my dvd player/xbox. Firstly I tried burning a simple avi. file onto a blank DVD-R disc via Windows Media Player ‘burn’ tab. This was unsucessful as it didnt play in either my xbox or dvd player, I inserted a DVD-R disc which already had a film burned onto it & noticed there was 2 folders (AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS) that were vob. files. So I downloaded a film which was avi. and converted it into a vob. file using Xilisoft DVD Creator 6 & it turned out like this.

AUDIO_TS - Blank

VIDEO_TS -
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB

Now I am lost :-s
Where do i go from here? Ive tried copying the whole folder onto my USB device & playing it off my xbox but it says the folder is empty, I done some research & one webpage told me it was the IFO & BUP files which enable the files to show but the folder has them all! (I cannot play vob files on WMP or DivX player but i doubt that matters anyway)

I know VOB files can play on my xbox because I have dvd which are the exact file type and they play perfectly.

I could convert them to MPEG i guess as I was told that would work but ive spent money on a AVI too VOB converter so i would rather figure a way round this??

Also, the video comes in 3 parts, is there a way to compress them together so they will be no pause/cut-offs half way through the film??

Any help would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks

If the avi video is split into three parts, you’ll need to piece them back together before converting to dvd video.

You can do this with AviDemux (free). http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/
Start AviDemux, click Start, then Open. Navigate to the place on your hard drive where you have the first avi file, then import it into AviDemux. Now click on Start again, and hit Append. This will let you import the second avi file and join it to the first. Do this process again for the third piece. All of the avi files have to have the same specifications for this to work, (same codecs used, same frame rates, etc) but they should be.

Video and Audio should be left on Copy, and the format should be AVI. To start the joining process, click Start–>Save–>Save Video.

Now that you have the joined avi file, you can use a different tool for converting to dvd-video. Xilisoft was a waste of money by the way, as there are two free conversion programs that are superior. One is DVDFlick, the other is AVStoDVD.
http://www.dvdflick.net/
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

Either of these will convert the joined avi for you. AVStoDVD may be a little more complicated for a newcomer, but uses a better encoder. Make sure to set output to match your country’s specifications for dvd-video. In the US, we use NTSC. Most of the rest of the world uses PAL.

Both of these programs can be set up to burn automatically with ImgBurn, (an excellent free burning program) and ImgBurn is included with them.

If you are trying to play dvds on a Windows XP system, it doesn’t include a dvd decoder. I suggest using VLC media player to playback dvds on the computer. www.videolan.org It is also free.

Its no longer an AVI file, I converted it to VOB and deleted the orginal AVI :(. Could I still use that program to peice them together though? It was one whole video when it was in AVI format neways, it only cut into 3 after i converted it :-s

AVStoDVD? I was converting AVItoDVD, is this the same thing? Sorry, im really slow when it comes to this sort of stuff. I used to think copying a DVD to disc was simple :frowning:

Even if I had the file on AVI format & used AVStoDVD to convert it into DVD format wouldnt it just go back to being a VOB file and split into 3 sections again?

Lol thanks, I wish someone told me that before i brought it :-p

Dvd-video has a size limit of 1gb per vob file. This is what the dvd players expect, so you cannot go above that. What you are seeing when it splits the video into three parts is normal in other words. What isn’t normal is playback that hesitates or cuts off. That is probably due to the poor Xilisoft conversion if I had to take a guess.

Since it isn’t playing right, I suggest running the vob files through a free program called Vob2Mpg. It will combine all the vob files into an mpeg2 file. This will not degrade the quality of the video. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

Then, once you have the mpeg2 file, you can reauthor it to dvd-video again, and this time it should play through without any glitches. You can use DVDFlick for this, and it shouldn’t reencode the video since it is already compliant to dvd specifications. You should just get a complete dvd that plays correctly.

Of course, if the conversion in the Xilisoft program screwed up the video and audio streams badly enough, you might want to start over from the original files and follow my first instructions. Or set AVStoDVD or DVDFlick to reencode everything you’ve got now…you’ll lose some picture quality that way.

When its an AVI most videos are under 2gb but after they have been converted to VOB they seem to spike to about 2/3GB per video :-s, or do you mean each of the 3 VOB files have to be under 1GB?

If I convert to MPEG2 will that mean it wont play on all dvd players tho? I was told VOB is the most reliable for playing on all dvd players.

When I said it stops I just mean that few seconds while its changing to the 2nd of the 3 vob files. If I use DVDFlick will that convert the 3 files into one big file?

Yes, each vob file has a fixed limit of 1gb. Mpeg2 compression isn’t as good as most you see in avi files, like dvix or xvid, and so, when you convert to mpeg2 used in dvd-video, the file sizes increase from the original avi. (if you are maintaining the same quality)

Converting the vob files to mpeg2 would just be an intermediate step. I was thinking that if the video and audio streams in them are ok, but the dvd-structure is screwed up, then reauthoring them in DVDFlick might solve the playback problem. You see, vob files are a specialized type of file that contains mpeg2 video used in dvds, you aren’t changing the video/audio streams themselves…just making them available to be reauthored when you run them through Vob2Mpg. Authoring a dvd means building the dvd structure that is needed for a stand alone player to navigate the video properly.

DVDFlick will output in dvd-video format again.

Im really not getting it lol… :frowning:

If I started a fresh with an AVI. file. & get DVDflick to convert it into VOB format (Im guessin I would still get an AUDIO & VIDEO folder with my video chopped into 3?). Where do I go after this? Can I just burn it to a dvd straight away and it will work?

Ive got Nero 10 to burn it, I hope thats not a load of rubbish like Xilisoft.

Like I said in my firs post, I had the VOB file but when i put it on a usb and onto my xbox nothing appeared :frowning:

Yes, you should be able to burn the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders to a dvd and have it work. If it was made properly, this will work with Nero. I got a little sidetracked when you said the video was not playing smoothly, so I was offering solutions for that problem.

I’m not a great fan of Nero, but if you have the full Nero burning suite, the next time you want to convert a video you might try Nero Vision. Or DVDFlick or AVStoDVD(my favorite).

You can’t just play a vob file by itself. (well, not outside a computer) You need all the vob, ifo and bup files contained within the Video_TS folder in order for the dvd to play correctly.

Yes, you should be able to burn the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders to a dvd and have it work. If it was made properly, this will work with Nero. I got a little sidetracked when you said the video was not playing smoothly, so I was offering solutions for that problem.

I’m not a great fan of Nero, but if you have the full Nero burning suite, the next time you want to convert a video you might try Nero Vision. Or DVDFlick or AVStoDVD(my favorite).

You can’t just play a vob file by itself. (well, not outside a computer) You need all the vob, ifo and bup files contained within the Video_TS folder in order for the dvd to play correctly.

Yes I have the full nero suite, so Nero Vision can convert AVI to VOB files?!

Ive been sent down the wrong path by so many different people, the ammount of programs ive purchased to try and get this working is ridiculous.

Ive got two different versions of Xilisoft which I wish I never bothered with now, DVDFab7, DVDShrink & Nero :frowning:

Yes I have the full nero suite, so Nero Vision can convert AVI to VOB files?!

Ive been sent down the wrong path by so many different people, the ammount of programs ive purchased to try and get this working is ridiculous.

Ive got two different versions of Xilisoft which I wish I never bothered with now, DVDFab7, DVDShrink & Nero… When all I needed all along was Nero Suite by itself? I should of really got the trial versions first :frowning:

That was my fault, I didnt make myself clear when I said the video had glitches or what not.

I have all the files in the VIDEO_TS folder what I listed on my first post, Including ifo & bup files. any Ideas why it doesnt appear on my usb if I have them? The only reason Im trying it on my USB is because ive ran out of dics until 2moro because of so many failed attempts.

Im going to try AVStoDVD neways :slight_smile:

Well, DVDFab has its uses for decryption, DVDShrink is an excellent transcoder when reducing the size of dvds to fit a single layer blank dvd and Nero…well, can’t say much good about it myself, but others use it with success. :slight_smile:

Nero Vision can certainly convert avi files to dvd-video. Nero Recode can do much the same job as DVDShrink (on decrypted dvds).

I very much prefer ImgBurn as a burning program though, especially for double layer dvds.

Try burning the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders you have now and see how well it works in a stand alone player. Use good media and don’t burn at top speed. Try at 12x if you have a desktop burner and are using 16x blank media.

Don’t know what is going on with the usb stick though.

Whats the difference between single & double layer DVDs?
How would I know if if my file needed DVDFab to decrypt it?

Ill have to wait until tomorrow to burn them because I have ran out of blank DVD’s now :(. A stand alone player?

Im going to get AVStoDVD & IMGburn & see where i go from there :slight_smile: There basically the only to programs you need to make a good dvd right?

I have no clue what a desktop burner is so im guessing i dont have one :-p

16x blank media? Is that the speed of the actual disc?

Sorry about all the questions, I just dont have a clue about any of this sorta stuff

Single layer dvds have a nominal capacity of 4.7gb (you’ll only fit about 4.3gb of data on them). Double layer dvds have a nominal capacity of 8.5gb and you’ll fit about 7.9 gb of data/video on them. The only good double layer dvds are sold under the Verbatim and Falcon brands…don’t buy anything else for DL media. Single layer dvds are much more common and also much cheaper. I prefer Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden for single layer dvds.

Most single layer dvds these days are rated at 16x burn speed. There are still some 8x disks out there, but are getting harder to find. 12x or 8x is usually a good speed to burn most 16x media.

DVDFab is used to decrypt physical dvds or blu ray disks. Not for downloads.

A stand alone player is what we call a regular dvd player that you hook up to the tv. It distinguishes it from a dvd drive in a computer.

A desktop burner is an optical drive found in a computer. Desktop vs laptop distinction here…most laptop dvd burners have a top speed of 8x compared to regular drives which can burn as fast as 24x these days.

AVStoDVD and ImgBurn are a good combination. Just make sure to set it to your country’s dvd standard (NTSC for US). To import an avi into AVStoDVD click on the green + sign on the right side of the main window.

ok i think im getting it

after ive converted the files, thats the easy part! Do I just drag both folders (Audio_ts & video_ts) into imgburner and away it goes? it will do everythin else itself from there?

Im going to give it a try tomorrow once iget some discs & if it works ill post the question as solved.

Thanks again for ur help :slight_smile:

Here is a guide for using ImgBurn to make a dvd video from the files you have: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4632

ImgBurn starts in EZ Mode these days, so just click on [I]Write files/folders to disc[/I] after starting up the program. This puts you in Build mode, so you can follow the guide from that point.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Hey, I got some discs this morning and downloaded IMGburn & DVStoDVD. I burned a already converted VOB file thrugh IMGburn and it worked perfectly, so thanks for recommending that :slight_smile:

Although AVStoDVD doesnt seem to be working. I converted a file and after it was complete another window appeared ‘DGPulldown’ and it says ‘processing, please wait’. Its been up for over an hour now :frowning: Maybe im just being impatient?

either way im posting the question as resolved. ty very much :slight_smile:

Since Kerry isn’t around right now I will try to answer.
I beleive DGPulldown is part of the AVStoDVD encoding.
I suspect you will see HCenc before the process is over.
I haven’t used AVStoDVD but a few times so I’m not completely sure.
I would have used DVDFlick to directly convert the .AVI & then used ImgBurn to Write that to disc. When I work with multiple .vobs from the same movie I use joinvobfilestool to join the .vobs into one large .vob then use DVDFlick.
I only do that if my regular burners won’t burn the AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folders as they are. I usually use either ImgBurn or CloneDVD2 for burning.
For some players they might like the AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folders in a “MovieName” folder.

Typically in AVStoDVD, DGPulldown is used for converting 25fps PAL progressive material to NTSC…
http://neuron2.net/dgpulldown/dgpulldown.html

Thanks t0nee1. I guess that would be done preencoding.

Actually, depending on the source file(s) it’ll first encode and [I]then[/I] apply pulldown flags to change it to a higher legal mpeg2 output frame rate…

[B]"A typical workflow is as follows (assumes you are starting with PAL source material):

* Demux the video and audio streams.
* If the video is interlaced, deinterlace it to make it progressive. If it is already progressive, skip this step.
* Resize the video to 720x480.
* Encode the video to MPEG2 at 25fps progressive.
* Run DGPulldown on the video MPEG2 stream to flag it up to 29.97fps (using the 25fps --> 29.97fps conversion).
* Mux the audio and video into a program stream, or author a DVD using the audio and video streams." [/B]