DVD Burning Spped Issue: DMA vs PIO

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DRU-840A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have desktop with Window XP Home Edition equipped with Sony DVD burner (DRU840A) and Nero 7. . I used to burn the 4.4 G DVD in 15 min or so. For last week, it has started taking 45 min or more. There is no change in my computer system or DVD blank. I was asked to look into Device Manger and look at transfer modes. This is what I see for secondary IDE Channel:
Device 0:
Transfer Mode - DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode : PIO Mode (uneditable text and no drop down menu)
Device 1:
Current Transfer Mode(CTM) : Ultra DMA Mode (uneditable text and no drop down menu)
I am told that I need to change CTM from PIO to DMA.
How do I do this since the CTM is not a drop down menu to select the mode

Click here to learn how to check and solve DMA issues with Windows’ stock drivers and PATA drives (buffer wildly fluctuating, write speed much slower than it should be, etc) (Credits to Womble)

:slight_smile:

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DRU-840A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have desktop with Window XP Home Edition equipped with Sony DVD burner (DRU840A) and Nero 7. . I used to burn the 4.4 G DVD in 15 min or so. Since last week, it has started taking 45 min or more. There is no change in my computer system or DVD blank. I was asked to look into Device Manger and look at transfer modes. This is what I see for secondary IDE Channel:
Device 0:
Current Transfer Mode : PIO Mode (uneditable text and no drop down menu)
Device 1:
Current Transfer Mode(CTM) : Ultra DMA Mode (uneditable text and no drop down menu)
I am told that I need to change CTM from PIO to DMA.
How do I do this since the CTM is not a drop down menu to select the mode

Right-click your Secondary IDE Channel in Device Manager (the one with the device in PIO Mode), and click Uninstall.

Windows will ask you to reboot - do so, and when you boot back up, Windows will re-detect that IDE channel, plus the drives on it - and hopefully Device 0 will be in UDMA Mode.

Edit: Threads merged - please don’t crosspost, it’s against forum rules.