DVD burning problem

I have a Benq DW1620 retail version with the firmware of B7W9. Have been using this drive for a long time, with no problems of either DVD or CD burning. After half a year or so without using it at all (it always sits in my computer), I can not use it to burn a DVD any longer. I always used the same DVD media for this drive, and it used to work very well. I switched to another brand of blank DVD, no luck. I switched to linux OS, no luck either. However, in both operating systems, it still can burn CDs. Could anybody help me on this issue?

I really hate to throw it away, for it used to work perfectly without any problem.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

What are the two brands of disc you tried? And does your 1620 read DVD media OK (burned or pressed, doesn’t matter)?

Might be an idea to try the drive in a different PC if possible too :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
The two brands are TEON DVD-R 8x and Verbatim DVD-R 16x. As I mentioned in my first post, I have been using the TEON DVD-R discs for this drive since long time ago, never got a problem. The drive reads DVD well.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2200816]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

What are the two brands of disc you tried? And does your 1620 read DVD media OK (burned or pressed, doesn’t matter)?

Might be an idea to try the drive in a different PC if possible too :)[/QUOTE]

The thing with Teon, is that the brand can be made by many different manufacturers - so one batch or spindle could burn very well, and the next one burn like crap - simply because they were manufactured by a different company and may have a different MID (or Media/Manufacturer ID).

Verbies should have worked well, though.

I would think that if the drive reads DVD OK, it should also have no problems burning…

Any chance you can try the drive in another PC? Or perhaps try the Verbies at a lower speed - I forgot to ask what burn speeds you tried. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Arachne, again for your reply. The Teon disks I used recently were from the same box as those I used a year ago, when there was not a problem at all. Since I don’t have another desktop and have no enclosure for this drive, your suggestion to try another PC is temporarily not an option for me.

However, by trying another thing, I did solve the problem. In order to make other users aware of this issue, I am presenting the reason for the burning failure here. The only thing I tried today is to change my PSU. While my current PSU (440Watt) seemed to work ok, I do recall many times that my second hard drive had difficulty being loaded into the system. Even after I changed my motherboard twice, the same problem still existed. So the PSU may be a potential problem. Another thing I forgot to mention was that the system can not recognize the blank dvd disk, and so the burning procedure never began. However, it works well to recognize a blank cd disk and can finish the burning very smoothly. With this in mind, I changed the PSU to a brand new ULTRA 600Watt PSU. The Benq recognized the disk automatically, and began to burn an iso image onto it at the speed of 12x (The printed speed on the disk is 8x). However, the disk burnt was not readable. I then reduced the burning speed to the disk default speed (8x), and it was successful.

I have not done a complete search in the forum, this may have been mentioned many times. But in case some members are not aware of this issue, I am posting my experience here.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2201133]The thing with Teon, is that the brand can be made by many different manufacturers - so one batch or spindle could burn very well, and the next one burn like crap - simply because they were manufactured by a different company and may have a different MID (or Media/Manufacturer ID).

Verbies should have worked well, though.

I would think that if the drive reads DVD OK, it should also have no problems burning…

Any chance you can try the drive in another PC? Or perhaps try the Verbies at a lower speed - I forgot to ask what burn speeds you tried. :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Arachne;2201133]The thing with Teon, is that the brand can be made by many different manufacturers…[/QUOTE]

Actually, Teon 8x DVD-R here in the states is pretty much all CMC MAG AE1. Maybe you are talking about a different Teon sold in Europe.

[QUOTE=negritude;2202235]Actually, Teon 8x DVD-R here in the states is pretty much all CMC MAG AE1. Maybe you are talking about a different Teon sold in Europe.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the manufacturer can vary here. :frowning: Wish the ones here were all CMC!

@mtcss - glad you got the problem fixed :slight_smile: