DVD Burning Newbie is having trouble with several different programs

Ok, so about the only thing I can successfully do with a DVD is back them up with DVDShrink and MenuShrink. However, I have been trying unsuccessfully to burn a DVD from various types of files on my computer (.AVI, .MOV, etc…). I have used a number of programs like ConvertXtoDVD, ImgBurn, DVD Decrypter, and others. I’ve been trying to burn solely relying on guides and tutorials.

I either:
a) Can’t even get the burning process to start due to errors or just plain newbiness.
b) Successfully finish the burning process, but my finished product has audio and NO video of the movie.
c) Successfully get Audio and Video on my finished DVD, only the video is RIDICULOUSLY choppy. I mean, it’s got to be throwing out thousands of frames, and I can’t figure out why.

So my question is, is there any sort of VERY newbie friendly DVD burning software. Right now I’d just settle for learning to burn an AVI file to DVD. Or is there someone who would be willing to walk me through the programs I’m already using, because tutorials aren’t cutting it.

Thank you in advance for any help, and I apologize for the amount of newbiness flowing out of this thread. <3

Sounds strange to me! do you have the latest divx codecs installed? just a thought that this could be the problem, worth a try.
what software are you using to burn?