DVD Burning Issues. For Business. Help ASAP?

vbimport

Hello, first off let me say Hi to everyone on here and I think I have found the right forum to solve my problem.

I am starting a side business doing videography work filming events. I have all my footage edited and people waiting on copies of dvds from me. But now I am having a horrible time getting my dvd’s to work correctly.

INFO-- I have a newly custom built computer only a couple months old. With windows 7 professional and all the goodies, 8 GB DDR 3 Ram and such. My dvd burner is an LG Super Multi dvd burner. HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH22NS50. The dvd disc I am using are by Verbatim, DVD-R

PROBLEM-- Everytime I play the finished dvd in a dvd player, the video will pixelate and freeze the screen after awhile. This problem does not occur with the same footage or at the same spot on each dvd with the same footage. I have tried burning a commercial movie dvd file and that finished dvd also would pixelate and freeze while playing.

DVD SOFTWARE – I first used windows dvd maker and then used Ashampoo Burning Studio 9 and Sothink Movie DVD Maker. All 3 burning softwares are giving me the same problems in different spots on my finished dvd’s.

SIDE NOTES – I edit my raw footage with windows live movie maker first, then put the video clips into the dvd making software.

– I have played the dvds in different dvd players with the same results.

– I have tried burning the dvd with 4x speed and 2x speed, with same problem occuring.

I saw on this forum elsewhere that someone was told to use the CD Speed test by Nero. So here are my results from that.

I have wasted about 8 good dvd’s now and it is beginning to become very frusterating finding out what is causing this issue. So I am open to any ideas. Wethier it could be my dvd burner being junk, or my dvd discs are bad, or maybe my raw footage is causing the problem?

I am on the computer everyday and will respond back on here as soon as I can.

Its been a while since I’ve seen MCC01RG20 media. How long have you had these 4x speed disks?

There is a slightly newer firmware available for your drive: http://www.lg.com/us/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=GH22NS50&matchedModelCode=NOT_MATCHED&searchEngineModelCode=GH22NS50&initialTab=documents&targetPage=support-product-profile

You might also try a different type of media. My suggestion is to get Verbatim 16x disks locally, at Best Buy or Office Max if you are in the US. Make sure to look for AZO on the label and don’t get the new “Life Series” version of Verbatim disks. Another excellent choice for blank dvds are Taiyo Yuden 8x +R disks, which can be found online at sites like rima.com and supermediastore.com.

Try burning the 16x Verbatims at 8x or 12x…no slower. The TY +R disks burn very well at 8x.

Your 4x media may or may not be supported by the firmwares available for this drive. Older media is sometimes dropped since it is not generally available, in favor of new id codes.

Edit: In case I wasn’t clear, my thinking is that you have a slight mismatch between drive and media. Some of the old 4x disks were really quite good, and Verbatim has always been a solid choice, but the drive may not recognize them correctly.
You [B]have[/B] tested the videos on the computer to make sure they play without issues before burning?

Yes these dvd discs are quite old. I found them buried in an old computer drawer. Thats why I decided to experiment with them first since they were older. And to answer your newer question, yes all of my footage does play perfectly fine on my computer from the raw files. They are all HD video files.

OK Well I ran up to walmart to grab some different dvd’s just now to mess with tonight. And of course walmart doesnt sell any top brand dvds, like Verbatim. So I am going to try the Memorex DVD-R 16x and see if my problem goes away.

I will post results tomorrow morning hopefully.

You need to test the finished dvd-video prior to burning, not just the HD files. I’ve not used your Sothink DVD Maker software, so I am not familiar with it.

Virtually no one around here would recommend Memorex, but sometimes you get lucky. :slight_smile: Let us know if they don’t solve the problem.

The problem has been fixed! The fact that those other dvds were so old was indeed the problem. The memorex may not be a high quality dvd, but it played my finished dvd on the tv without any glitches or skips.

Now that I know what the problem was, I can go buy the good dvds to use for my customers. (And I can get to sleep finally…)

Thanks for all your help and quick responses! Now if I could just get those dang JWin DVD players to play dvds right…:stuck_out_tongue:

If I ever run into anyone that has dvd related problems, Now I know where to recommend them to.

Don’t give your customers the memowrecks discs!

Yo-

Suggestion-

Give the Memorex discs to the customers that either don’t pay or that you want to totally piss off-eh!!

[QUOTE=BurnMyComputer;2522179]The problem has been fixed! The fact that those other dvds were so old was indeed the problem. The memorex may not be a high quality dvd, but it played my finished dvd on the tv without any glitches or skips.

Now that I know what the problem was, I can go buy the good dvds to use for my customers. (And I can get to sleep finally…)

Thanks for all your help and quick responses! Now if I could just get those dang JWin DVD players to play dvds right…:stuck_out_tongue:

If I ever run into anyone that has dvd related problems, Now I know where to recommend them to.[/QUOTE]

Welcome, a bit late to the party on this one :slight_smile:

I just bought the same drive on Saturday (though it came with the TN02 firmware Kerry linked to), and older discs (even Verbatim ones, and also 8x Taiyo Tuden DVD+Rs, which I can only get the drive to burn decently at 4x!) that I’ve tried don’t seem to do too well, as you’ve found - I’ve also tried Verbatim 4x DVD+RW with similar issues to those you found.

My first thought also was the newer firmware TN02.

Has it helped a bit?