Burner: Lite-On DH-20A4P 9P53
Software: Nero 188.8.131.52
Discs: +R: Verbatim MCC004, Playo MCC004. -R: Verbatim MCC03RG20.
Got the 20A4P from Newegg before Thanksgiving. Burned more than a dozen DVDs in the first two weeks with no problem. Didn’t have time to play more with it until last weekend, when it suddenly gave me the following problem:
Burning hangs at anywhere from 10% to 90% finished; the progress bar in Nero doesn’t proceed any more (as seen in the attached screenshot). While at the same time everything else seems working: the drive still spins at high speeds, the time counter in Nero still goes up correctly, buffer is almost full, Windows does not hang, Task Manager shows Nero is running (instead of not responding), CPU and memory/page file usages are all low. Have to use Task Manager to shut down Nero. After that the drive still spins as usual and does not eject, so have to restart the computer.
Searched around and saw many people had similar problems, but I didn’t find a perfect match to the current situation, nor did I find a solution to the problem.
- I’ve been using a Toshiba SD-R5112 on the same system with the same Nero for years without any problem.
- This problem has occurred in roughly 5 out of 10 burns in the past couple days. (That is, about half of the times the burns completed correctly, but the other half of the times there was this problem.)
- It has happened to all the four MIDs listed above. No visible defects on any of the discs.
- It has happened to various file formats: disc images burned using the burn image command, data files burned using the UDF option, and video files burned using the DVD-video option.
- Symantec auto protection is disabled during burning.
- DMA settings are corrrect.
- I haven’t update the firmware because the drive is a new product and 9P53 is ok (at least for MCC004) from the scans seen in the 20A4P scan thread.
- I cleared the OPC history in SmartBurn earlier last week and deselected all the items in SmartBurn (i.e., SmartBurn is enabled but all the extras are disabled.)
- The Nero log file doesn’t have these incidents logged, because when the problem arises, Nero can’t finish the burn, and I have to shut down Nero in Task Manager.
Can this be an indication of a faulty drive, or there’s something else I need to check/correct? Thanks!