DVD burning and HDD thrashing question

vbimport

Hello,

Just bought my first DVD burner (Pioneer DVR-108) and noticed that when I burnt my first DVD the HDD was constantly thrashing and the PC was basically unuseable (well, useable but very slow).

The Pio (Slave, UDMA4) shares the Secondary IDE channel with a Lite-On 166s (Master, UDMA2).

Is the constant HDD thrashing normal? Media was a DVD+R 4x.

My setup :
Celery 1A @ 1.35GHz
Asus TUSL2C mobo w/Intel 815P chipset
384MB RAM
WinXP SP2
Nero 6.6.0.3

Thanks!

The Pio (Slave, UDMA4) shares the Secondary IDE channel with a Lite-On 166s (Master, UDMA2).

What means “pio”?

The best config is in my oppinion to put the optical drives on one IDE cable and also the hard drives on one IDE Cable (my setup is: 2 optical drives on one IDE Cable, and the 2 hard drives on one IDE Cable).

Pio = Pioneer. My setup is as per your recommendation :

Primary Master : HDD (UDMA5)
Primary Slave : HDD (UDMA5)
Sec Master : Lite-On 166s (UDMA2)
Sec Slave : Pioneer DVR-108 (UDMA4)

Is the constant HDD thrashing during DVD burning normal?

My setup :
Celery 1A @ 1.35GHz
Asus TUSL2C mobo w/Intel 815P chipset
384MB RAM
WinXP SP2
Nero 6.6.0.3

Sounds like that old celeron just cant handle it, remember celerons have less cache than their pentium counterparts i’d guess thats a coppermine lite core with 128kb’s of L2 Cache, pretty low end for DVD burning and system lags like that are to be expected, my advice is when burning DVD’s leave your machine well alone infact i’d tell that to somebody with an FX-55 aswell

Mr. Brownstone,

Ahh, good memories from Guns n’ Roses. :slight_smile:

The Pioneer was bought to replace a non-working Aopen CD-writer, and I didn’t have these issues (HDD thrashing) when burning CDs. But now with DVDs (albeit I’ve burnt only one) do…so this is normal then?