Dvd burners

vbimport

I currently have a Sony dru700, but I am having problems with file errors. Says something about an illegal write address. Is my burner broke?
Can you help me fix this problem or do I need to purchase a new one?

By the way, what is the difference between external and internal burners?

Please recommend a good burner.

Be sure you have the latest firmware for your dvd burner. I had to do that for my sony burner. Latest firmware can be found at sonys website. An internal drive is one that goes into a bay in your pc tower, like a cd, dvd, cdr, cdrw drive. External drive is not in a bay on your tower, but hooks up via usb port or firewire.

Lynyrd

Thanks for the advice. What exactly is firmware? Is it basically an update for your drive?

I’ll try this when I get home and let you know.

Thanks

Rug,
Yes, firmware is to update the burner.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Have a look at the above link - your Sony DRU700 is actually made by Lite-On. Using Omnipatcher, you can apply better firmware than Sony issue. Firmware, is code that resides on a EEPROM chip inside your drive and controls how it writes and reads discs. (very simplified explination).

You may also get more help on your drive if you post in the Lite-On/Sony forum.

Hope you get your problem fixed.

Hi

If you do decide to purchase a new burner, I highly recommend the Plextor PX-716SA. That burner, is a Serial ATA burner, and if you don’t have a motherboard that supports Serial ATA then look at the Plextor PX-716A which uses the common IDE interface.