DVD burners too slow for me to get one so far

vbimport

I have some questions:

1. When will DVD burners (any) begin to really get up to speed? I don’t plan to buy one until at least 8 - 16x ones and their blank discs are common. I’m mainly only looking for something that can do DVD-R and maybe DVD-RAM. I’ll stick to Plextor for my CD needs. So, can anyone give an estimate of when 8 or 16x DVD burners will be released, and when they’ll be common and as cheap as todays 2 - 4x models?

2. Can I use DVD-RAM like I would a floppy disk or HDD? My main interest in this format is its durability (it’s in a cartridge, like a minidisc) and because I heard that it can be used like an HDD.

3. Does any DVD copying software like CloneDVD and the like copy a DVD completely 1:1? I heard of DVDs being bigger that 4.36 or so GB. Are these the multi-layered/multi-sided DVDs? If so, can a multi-layered disc be burned onto a single DVD-R without any quality loss? For multi-sided DVDs, I guess side 2 can easily be put on a second DVD-R, right?

Thanks for any answers on these questions…

Originally posted by ali92
I have some questions:

1. When will DVD burners (any) begin to really get up to speed? I don’t plan to buy one until at least 8 - 16x ones and their blank discs are common. I’m mainly only looking for something that can do DVD-R and maybe DVD-RAM. I’ll stick to Plextor for my CD needs. So, can anyone give an estimate of when 8 or 16x DVD burners will be released, and when they’ll be common and as cheap as todays 2 - 4x models?

30 months or so

1. Can I use DVD-RAM like I would a floppy disk or HDD? My main interest in this format is its durability (it’s in a cartridge, like a minidisc) and because I heard that it can be used like an HDD.

I doubt it , DVD ram is more a competitor for MO drives

1. Does any DVD copying software like CloneDVD and the like copy a DVD completely 1:1? I heard of DVDs being bigger that 4.36 or so GB. Are these the multi-layered/multi-sided DVDs? If so, can a multi-layered disc be burned onto a single DVD-R without any quality loss? For multi-sided DVDs, I guess side 2 can easily be put on a second DVD-R, right?

recordable DVD’s are around 4.7 Gigabytes and single layer

pressed DVD’s can be double layer with a 9 gigabytes of total (the usual)

So yes , there’s some compression involved.

I can only questions answer question 1 and 3 partly.

1. Plextor has already announced a 8x DVD recorder: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7487 .Before 8x is common I estimate you will have to wait till Q1/Q2 of 2004.

2. CloneDVD does not make a 1:1 copy, first of all the copy protection has to be removed before you can use CloneCD, after that the software will compress the movie when it does not fit on a DVD recordable. The compression engine of e.g CloneDVD, DVD2one should compress the movie as good as possible, so you won’t notice a difference with the original.

E.g DVDxCopy is able to make copies to two DVD recordables.

Dude why are you saying they are too slow for you right now? A 4x burner burns a full dvd in 15 minutes, thats pretty darn good to me. I know you may think thats slow but damn dude your burning a 4.7gb disc. I have been using my Sony 510 and it is really nice. Yes there is some compression involved in some dvd’s, some will fit with none but most need some compression even though they look really good. If you didn’t know it was a copy i bet you wouldn’t notice.

Adam

> 1. When will DVD burners (any) begin to really get up to speed? I don’t plan to
> buy one until at least 8 - 16x ones and their blank discs are common. I’m mainly
> only looking for something that can do DVD-R and maybe DVD-RAM

There’s a good chance you will wait forever then, as - and RAM don’t have any
roadmap for high speeds. + is expected to reach 12x and 16x in the next 24 months,
then you can add 6 months more before they are common.

> 2. Can I use DVD-RAM like I would a floppy disk or HDD

Depends what you have in mind, but probably yes.

Good luck, come back in a couple of years :confused:

16X CD = 2400 KB/s

16X DVD = 21 MB/s (equivalent to a 144X CD rate)

Getting PCs to sustain that kind of data transfer rate for 4Gb+ will be a challenge.

I read that writing at 16x is pretty much impossible because of disc speeds. I think we will see 12x and that is all, unless, some new tech will allow to write at that kind of rotation speed.

Originally posted by TexasGuy
I read that writing at 16x is pretty much impossible because of disc speeds.

Source please !

Some sources, which could be used to argument either way:

http://www.ece.rochester.edu/courses/ECE140/ece140sp99projects/mangiola/COMPAR~1.HTM

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/ClerbieMontilus.shtml

http://theage.com.au/articles/2002/12/09/1039379779472.html

regards,
Halcyon

I don’t think you realize that

CD 16X != DVD 16X

As Phil Dx showed there is a huge difference.

> I don’t think you realize that
>
> CD 16X != DVD 16X

Great, I think I’ll propose it for the front page news.

Anyway 16x writing is perfectly possible with current technologies.

I’ll be pleased if they just up the READ speed from 2x to 4x!

LOL, I see someone here went for the name brand Sony writer. Man, that’s what Lite-On DVD-ROM’s for, reading @ full speed.

Originally posted by Phil Dx
[B]Good luck, come back in a couple of years :confused:

16X CD = 2400 KB/s

16X DVD = 21 MB/s (equivalent to a 144X CD rate)

Getting PCs to sustain that kind of data transfer rate for 4Gb+ will be a challenge. [/B]

I think he didn’t realized this! :bigsmile:

Originally posted by spath
[B]> 1. When will DVD burners (any) begin to really get up to speed? I don’t plan to
> buy one until at least 8 - 16x ones and their blank discs are common. I’m mainly
> only looking for something that can do DVD-R and maybe DVD-RAM

There’s a good chance you will wait forever then, as - and RAM don’t have any
roadmap for high speeds. + is expected to reach 12x and 16x in the next 24 months,
then you can add 6 months more before they are common.

> 2. Can I use DVD-RAM like I would a floppy disk or HDD

Depends what you have in mind, but probably yes. [/B]

Where is there evidence that shows that DVD-R/RW & DVD-RAM just can’t do the high speeds BUT THE DVD+R/RW CAN? How can DVD+R/RW do the higher speeds but DVD-R/RW can’t? Are other high-capacity formats in existence that are similar to DVD-RAM?

The reason why - format will have more
problems to reach high speeds than +
format is explained in http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113

As for evidences, 8x + chips are available since
january and we’re still waiting for - counterpart.

its kind of weird. I know many people who raved about high speed cd writers and when they finally got their 48x writers, they never burnt faster than 24x anyway [on any media]

Perosonally, i am waiting for price drops, not an increase in speed .

I think we’ll likely see DVD writers up to 16X eventually - if discs can be read that fast, they should likely be writable at that speed too. Apparently there have been some recent advances in semiconductor laser technology which will allow production of laser diodes powerful enough to record DVDs at those speeds.

It isn’t a burner yet, but Philips is on its way (click here and here for the sources):

Royal Philips Electronics announced a new small-sized motor driver IC for high-speed DVD+RW (DVD+ReWritable) applications"…"To meet the changing performance demands of this quickly growing market, the SA56202 motor driver has been designed to support drive speeds of 8x and 16x speeds, offering drive manufacturers a quick transition to next-generation technology.

I’m still waiting for DVD-R’s to come out that hold more than 120 minutes of video.