DVD Burners and RAW mode for copy protections!

vbimport

When DVD Burners will be able to use RAW mode for copying protections such as Safedisc on DVD?
Can DVD Burners that are actually on the market use RAW mode if it will be implemented into a copy program?

Can someone answer my questions?

DVD writers cant use raw mode as far as i know…

Looks like the Lite-On SOHW-1633SX might b able to:

Support Fixed Packet, Variable Packet, TAO, SAO, DAO, Raw Mode Burning, and Over-Burn

\\VH////
:slight_smile:

Might be only for cd writing though

Yes i remember this occasion where it stated RAW mode capabilities, but only for CD.

SO is there no way to implement RAW mode Writing (and reading) in the current “DVD burners” hardware?
Is that because copy protections houses don’t let DVD burners makers to build hardware for RAW mode?

It is possible - just difficult.

All you have to do is write to the drive as you would to make and audio disc. The audio sectors being the full 2352 bytes.

It is quite complicated because you have to make the whole data sector including the IED, Reed Solomon ECC (PI,PO), 2048 bytes data, IED, CPR_MAI ,ID. The hardest bit being the Reed Solomon ECC.

> It is possible - just difficult.
>
> All you have to do is write to the drive as you would to make and
> audio disc. The audio sectors being the full 2352 bytes.

Yeah, that’s a cool feature of drives from lalaland.
Unfortunately on planet Earth DVD sectors are 2064
bytes long and you can only choose 2048 of them.

Read your red book.

> Read your red book.

Blah. Again, on planet Earth Red Book has nothing to do with DVDs.
Could you stop posting nonsense now ?

So what exactly are the other 16 bytes? I read before that the command set for raw burning on dvd wasn’t created. Maybe I am misinformed. What exactly is the case with that? :confused:

If the command set for RAW burning on DVD wasn’t created, how they (i mean “game producers”) can burn copy protections? Perhaphs factory DVD burners that burn on stamped DVDs have some kind of special RAW mode!

They don’t have to burn them, they are pressed in a factory, totally different scenario.

The other 16 bytes are split into 4 fields called ID, IED, CPR_MAI and EDC, see

For instance on movie DVDs CPR_MAI (Copyright Management Information)
contains part of the data used for CSS . And there’s indeed no MMC command
to control these bytes : for DVD the WRITE(10) and WRITE(12) MMC commands
require a fixed block size of 2048 bytes.

Didnt some of the orginal scsi DVD burners [dvd authoring burners] have the ability to write the CPR_MAI?

I imagine it would be extremly difficult to hack current drives firmware to read/write the extra fields.