DVD burner wont recognize blank DVD media

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-H20L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have an HP PC running windows XP media center edition and an HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L. I used to be able to burn DVDs however I’ve never tried to burn a dual layer DVD. Now that I’m trying to burn a dual layer DVD I have just realized that not only can I not do that but I can’t burn any type of DVD. it will read DVDs, and also read CDs and burn cd’s. But when I put a blank DVD into the drive, nothing registers. I have updated the firmware and still have the same problem. There is no new drivers for my drive, either. I was originally trying to use clone DVD, but I have also checked Roxio and sonic. Those are the only burning programs on my computer. When I put in a blank DVD. The light on the drive blinks for almost a minute and then nothing happens. Each program will still prompt me to insert a blank disc. I have tried five different brands of DVD all are +R and +R DL except for a Fuji film -R. So far in my research I have found a lot of posts about this topic, but no solutions except for pulling the DVD drive out of my computer and plugging it into a different computer. If I had another computer, I would. It seems that so many people having exact same problem. Someone somewhere might know how to fix it without just saying buy a new drive.

Check the DMA status of the drive. Follow this guide: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

The most important part is Current Transfer Status. It should be Ultra DMA 4 or 2 I believe.

It says it might damage my computer. What are the odds of that? Is it highly unlikely or like 50/50?

That’s only if you use the script in that guide. Go down to the instructions on that page that apply to the operating system you are using.

I’ve checked all of the channel properties and all of them already are DMA if available. in some of the current transfer windows it says not applicable but one of them says ultra DMA mode 2 and one of them says ultra DMA mode 5.

You can try another burning program. A free one is ImgBurn. If that fails, I’m afraid you may be down to testing the drive somewhere else.

You could try the guided help to remove the upper and lower filters…they sometimes get corrupted in the Windows registry by burning programs. http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B314060&x=12&y=13 But I’m not sure that will help matters.