DVD burner will not recognise ANY media! HELP ME

Ok so not so long ago I was happily “backing up” my dvds, until one day my burner decided it no longer liked me and just stopped!
I use DVD shrink to backup my discs and now the burner will not recognise my blank discs (these are the same as the ones I’ve always used) Once DVD shrink has finished encoding the disc and is ready to burn it just says “checking for discs”???
I have inserted all media types to check and it won’t read any of them!
Even the autoplay option won’t come up, the one that asks what you want to do with the disc inserted!
I really hope this makes sense and that someone can help me! I’m desperate! Please be patient with me as I’m a bit slow at this whole process! Thankyou in advance, Kelly :eek:

First we need some information from you. What operating system are you using? If you have a name brand computer, what is the brand and model number? Do you know the brand of DVD burner you have? How old is you computer? What program are you using to burn the disks or are you just using Shrink? Did you make any recent changes (software or hardware) to your computer before this problem started? What brand of disks do you use?

[quote=kellyisanewbie;2211453]Ok so not so long ago I was happily “backing up” my dvds, until one day my burner decided it no longer liked me and just stopped!
I use DVD shrink to backup my discs and now the burner will not recognise my blank discs (these are the same as the ones I’ve always used) Once DVD shrink has finished encoding the disc and is ready to burn it just says “checking for discs”???
I have inserted all media types to check and it won’t read any of them!
Even the autoplay option won’t come up, the one that asks what you want to do with the disc inserted!
I really hope this makes sense and that someone can help me! I’m desperate! Please be patient with me as I’m a bit slow at this whole process! Thankyou in advance, Kelly :eek:[/quote]
Have you checked to see if the firmware for the drive/burner is up to date ?
Just because the blank disc that you put in is the same brand does not really mean any thing, most low/poor quality media are most of the time made by different manufactures, like Sony, Memorex, TDK and many others do not make their own discs but buy them from who ever can make them cheaper so the MID[B]([/B]media ID[B]) [/B]may change from time to time[B] :eek: [/B]…(Profit is the key word)

If the Drive/burner has the latest firmware try uninstalling it in device manager then reboot the system the operating system will re-install it.

what is firmware?

And how do I check that it is up to date? And how would I go about uninstalling it, etc…? :o
I really don’t have much idea of what I’m doing!

kellyisanewbie

As Whappo has asked: What operating system are you running on your PC?
And aside from DVDShrink, what other CD-DVD applications do you have installed on your PC?
And can you determine what brand and model DVD burner you have and post all this first?
We need more specific information in order to help with suggestions on how to approach your burner issue.

Ok, here goes:
Windows XP
We have Nero Startsmart and we did have regionkiller but i uninstalled it
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111D
Driver Version: 5.1.2535.0
Driver Date: 1/07/2001
Hope this is all a help!

Hi kellyisanewbie
Since you have Nero Startsmart means you also have Nero InfoTools you can run that utility and it will give you a lot of info on your drives, after you run it make sure your problematic drive/burner is selected in the dropdown window at the very top.
The firmware version will be listed, but as I stated before you can try uninstalling the drive in “Device Manager” doing this does and has fixed many problems with drive/burners :wink:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2211802]Hi kellyisanewbie
Since you have Nero Startsmart means you also have Nero InfoTools you can run that utility and it will give you a lot of info on your drives, after you run it make sure your problematic drive/burner is selected in the dropdown window at the very top.
The firmware version will be listed, [B]but as I stated before you can try uninstalling the drive in “Device Manager” doing this does and has fixed many problems with drive/burners ;)[/B][/QUOTE]
I would do this now, with whatever firmware you have (you have nothing to lose).

Go into Device Manager, find your burner-> right click-> Properties-> Uninstall, then reboot.

You could also then try this little app:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Your Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111D is an older drive the latest firmware is still years old. It might simply be time to get a new drive, they are cheap.

Read the reviews right here at CDFreaks for solid choices.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=5&name=CD-DVD-Burners

So true :iagree: but it never hurts to try what ever you can first :bigsmile: even if it is for the learning experience. :wink:

Ok so I ran the test through Nero and found out that the
firmware version is: 1.23
Now, when you say to reboot the computer do you just mean shutdown and restart it again?:o
And will the computer just recognise that the burner is just there and reinstall it again? :confused:
Thankyou all so much for helping me!:flower:

[quote=kellyisanewbie;2211952]Ok so I ran the test through Nero and found out that the
firmware version is: 1.23
Now, when you say to reboot the computer do you just mean shutdown and restart it again?:o
And will the computer just recognise that the burner is just there and reinstall it again? :confused:
Thankyou all so much for helping me!:flower:[/quote]
When you uninstall the drive/burner in device manager and reboot/re-start the operating system will re-install the drive and re-assign the driver for the drive/burner, sometime the driver becomes corrupt :eek:

You may find a newer firmware for your drive here [B]–>[/B] http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html
the release date is old but it is newer then what you have now…(about half way down the page)

I did the uninstall thing but to no avail:sad:
perhaps I will have to send it to the docs?:doh:

It may simply be that the drive has died and you’ll need to replace it. If it isn’t reading or recognizing any disks that is a possibility.

Flashing to a new firmware is one step to try, and StormJumper has given you the link for that firmware.

Click on his link and look for the area of the page I’ve included in this picture. Click on download and also read the instructions found on this page: http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/update_e.html

Downloaded the new firmware but still nothing!:a
any other ideas??? I’m desperate, and also want my burner fixed :stuck_out_tongue: lol

[quote=kellyisanewbie;2212188]Downloaded the new firmware but still nothing!:a
any other ideas??? I’m desperate, and also want my burner fixed :stuck_out_tongue: lol[/quote]
Well with the drive/burner as old as it is most likely it is time to use it as a door stop :eek: you can pick up a new one for around $30.

Looks like that’s the best idea!
Now to start a new post of how to install it…:smiley:

[quote=kellyisanewbie;2212205]Looks like that’s the best idea!
[B]Now to start a new post of how to install it[/B]…:D[/quote]
I’ll met you there :bigsmile: