DVD burner will burn DVD/CD and play store-bought DVD but not DVD+R

vbimport

Hi!

I’m new to this forum, so please forgive me if I have not placed this in the right area.

Ok - here goes. I own a 20x Philips SPD2413. I’ve been quite happy with it for the past 9 months.

Recently, it stopped reading previously burnt DVD+R discs. It reads store-bought movies just fine, it reads/burns CDs, and it even burns DVD+R discs though. It will even open a burnt disc created during the same session as long as I don’t remove it from the drive.

Once I remove the DVD+R from the drive, however, it will no longer read it afterwards. It will play in all my DVD players of the house though!

An error that I will get when I try to access it in Windows Explorer is: “Windows cannot read from this disc. The disc might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.”

Here is what I’ve tried to forestall any of the solutions that I have read thus far:

[ol]
[li]Tried removing upper/lower filters from regedit key {4D36E965… }. No success.
[/li][li]Uninstall iTunes; I heard that this sometimes causes issues. No success.
[/li][li]Verified that I have the latest firmware. As of today, GP3 is still the latest version and even tried reapplying the firmware. No success.
[/li][li]Uninstalled the DVD burner and rebooted. No success.
[/li][li]Uninstalled the DVD burner AND the secondary IDE channel that it’s on. No success.
[/li][/ol]

Any ideas??? I’m fresh out and would welcome any help!

Thanks in advance,
maek

seems you have performed the usual troubleshooting task.

have you uninstalled the ide controller? [not just the drive or channel?] have you tried cross-flashing the drive to a lite-on 20A1P?

How do you uninstall the ide controller? How do you cross-flash with the Lite-on drive?

I’m a little wary of cross-flashing with another drive for the time being; is there a potential of messing up my drive?

Would I be better off buying a new player instead? I came across a Sony DRU-842A…has anyone heard if this is a good replacement or not?