DVD burner suggestions

vbimport

Hi there,

I am in the market for a DVD/CD burner and have specific needs for overcoming copy protections, ripping, and backing up. Which drive would be best to get. I can easily get my hands on the liteon sohw-832s or sohw-1633s. I have also heard a lot of positive things about benq and nec drives.

Which drives would you guys recommend?

Thank you for your help.

You’re much better off to get a good DVD burner, plus a CD burner for the reading of copy protected CD’s. You won’t get both in one drive.

thanks for your help. out of the liteons i mention above are they held in high regard in general, or can u get a lot better than them. do they have any major issues with copy protection?

The LiteOn is the best bet for copy protections, but is not such a good DVD burner.

I would personally go for a BenQ DW1620A (or one of it’s variants that can be cross-flashed to BenQ DW1620A like the Nu Tech DDW-163) for the DVD Burner and then get a Lite-On CD-RW/DVD Combo drive for your other drive. The Lite-On would even be a good reader for other things as well as being good at what Lite-On’s are good for. I just don’t personally care for Lite-On DVD Burners (Had a 451S that sucked…) so I tend to stay away from them.

what is wrong with the liteon dvd burner - is it the fact that u have to burn at lower speeds to get better burns?

i have a store right next to me selling the sohw-832s and the sohw-1633s. with your experience and knowledge of these type of drives which one would be better, or are they basically the same drive but one is just meant to be faster than the other?

thank you

hello,i purchased a samsung dual layer dvd burner & cannot burn dvd movies,it reads the movie but has problems writing the movie.After attempting to write the dvd i get a error message,it says go to view log for error discription.out of 30 recordable disc i was only able to burn 10 dvd disc.it seemed to do better on -dvd recordable disc & in the process of recording my samsung burner would not even recognize the +dvd recordable disk,sometimes the +dvd disc would burn 1 hour 20min dvds & most times it would not.i have did the firmware tSO6 update.i had originaly had tSO4 version.Please help.my dell tech help line has had me reformatt my computor numerous times but that has not helped with my problem.i have windows xp home edition.