DVD burner still burns rewritables, but fails to burn normal dvd-r/+r

My acer aspire laptop has a dvd burner, which I have been using successfully for the past 8 months. Now, all of a sudden I can only burn rewritable dvds. The normal dvd-r, which I normally use, won’t work. Either the burner will start, but then the writing speed will drop to 0. Sometimes the burning process will still finish, but then the dvd won’t be readable afterwards.

I have already uninstalled my burner and checked for hardware changes afterwards, but no luck. Hope any one can help.

[QUOTE=Dogo;2093132]My acer aspire laptop has a dvd burner, which I have been using successfully for the past 8 months. Now, all of a sudden I can only burn rewritable dvds. The normal dvd-r, which I normally use, won’t work. Either the burner will start, but then the writing speed will drop to 0. Sometimes the burning process will still finish, but then the dvd won’t be readable afterwards.

I have already uninstalled my burner and checked for hardware changes afterwards, but no luck. Hope any one can help.[/QUOTE]

What kinda software are you using to burn? What laptop and burner model do you have? How long have you had the laptop? What kinda media are you using and what is your burn speed? What dvd are you burning? Does your burner burn dvd+r? Have you tried neospeed to test your drive or get info on your drive? But it sounds like the burner is going out and or the laser isn’t working properly anymore. One last thing have you tried to clean the laser lens.

Hello Dogo, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Can you take a look at the link in my sig (“How to check/enable DMA”), and make sure UDMA Mode is the Current Transfer Mode for all your drives?

Also, what brand of media are you using?

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2093217]What kinda software are you using to burn? What laptop and burner model do you have? How long have you had the laptop? What kinda media are you using and what is your burn speed? What dvd are you burning? Does your burner burn dvd+r? Have you tried neospeed to test your drive or get info on your drive? But it sounds like the burner is going out and or the laser isn’t working properly anymore. One last thing have you tried to clean the laser lens.[/QUOTE]

I tried several programms, going from the acer software to dvd decrypter to clonedvd. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 1522WLMI and the burner is TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SN-082D. I’ve had the laptop for several years, but the burner got replaced in november last year. I’ve tried several burning speeds and different brands of dvds. Where do I find this Neospeed?

[QUOTE=Arachne;2093227]Hello Dogo, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Can you take a look at the link in my sig (“How to check/enable DMA”), and make sure UDMA Mode is the Current Transfer Mode for all your drives?

Also, what brand of media are you using?[/QUOTE]

I checked this and all seems fine. Yesterday I did a full system recovery as well, so all settings are back to the standard settings.

Hello Dogo,
TSST laptop drives are extremely unreliable, at least in my experiences. So I think that your drive is broken.
TSST = self-destructing drives :Z

Hehe, my step dad has a TSST drive in his lappy and it’s fine…certainly better than Matshita :wink:

Have you tried Verbatim discs? Might be worth the last-ditch effort as they’re extremely compatible.

What brand is “your normal DVD-R”? It could be that the brand you use, unless it’s something like Sony or Verbatim, has switched manufacturer to something lower quality.

was gunna say anything can beat a masshitter though :stuck_out_tongue: , but id do as lin says and then worry if its still doing it as it probably is dead

[QUOTE=Arachne;2093314]Hehe, my step dad has a TSST drive in his lappy and it’s fine…certainly better than Matshita :wink:

Have you tried Verbatim discs? Might be worth the last-ditch effort as they’re extremely compatible.

What brand is “your normal DVD-R”? It could be that the brand you use, unless it’s something like Sony or Verbatim, has switched manufacturer to something lower quality.[/QUOTE]

Your step dad must be a very lucky person :bigsmile:.
I have an extremely bad experiences with Samsung/TSST drives since 32x CD-ROM days (and recently 5 TSST slim type RW drives in notebooks of my friends and relatives went broken in a very short time) and I probably would never buy any TSST drive any more. :o
"Masshiter" drives are a little bit better :bigsmile:
As Arachne and marcus said, you should try some quality media, like Verbatim, Sony, MIJ Maxell, etc.

[QUOTE=marcus_667;2093317]was gunna say anything can beat a masshitter though :stuck_out_tongue: , but id do as lin says and then worry if its still doing it as it probably is dead[/QUOTE]

I used both Moserbear and Sony dvds. They all worked before, because I was just in the middle of my spinlde of dvds.

Would connecting an external dvd-burner work? I mean, it won’t be my laptop causing the problem right? It’s just that I can’t have anyone install a new burner right now.

An external burner is a very good idea. As long as your lappy support USB2.0, you’re good to go (as most external burners these days are USB, rather than Firewire).

[QUOTE=Arachne;2093763]An external burner is a very good idea. As long as your lappy support USB2.0, you’re good to go (as most external burners these days are USB, rather than Firewire).[/QUOTE]

So I did buy an external DVD writer with a USB connection, but I keep getting the same problem. The RWs burn perfectly, zhereas the DVD-Rs always stop burning (i.e. the writing speed drops to 0, but never at the same time).

How are you burning the RW’s? (disk-at-once or a UDF driver that lets you drag/drop) and how much free HDD space do you have? (my computer, right-click/properties on the ‘C’ drive)