DVD Burner replacement

Hello again. I’m in the market for a new DVD Burner for my PC. THe one I had Lite On iHAS120 is fried and Im not paying Lite On 1.49 a min to tell me what i already know. I use my drive for just about everything DVDs, Back Ups Gaming. I am looking for one that will support almost any format I choose along with read the DVDs and Back ups I already have created. I would prefere not to go back to Lite On if you can understand but I will take any and all suggestions good or bad that are thrown my way. And also is it True Verbies are the best media to use for copys and media? Thanks again.

Not sure how long you had your burner, but Lite-on is considered to be a very good one… All burners are only made to last approx. 20,000 hrs. They all pretty much use the same lasers, and have close to the same life expectancy. You can check our review section, and see what kinds of reviews other burners have. Pretty much all of them are good right now. It just depends on which features you need (dvd-rom, bitsetting, quality scanning, etc)… Some are better readers, some are better writers…

Sadly I have only had it since August 8th and no one seems to wanna do anything about it (Lite On) By the time I call them to get a replacement I would have paid for atleast 2 new drives :/…My main concern is really reliability and speed along with a wider format selection. Im not to picky but I would rather rely on you all who know what they are talking about and have had years of experience then trust an advetisement or a salesmen who just wants to sale me something. Thats how I got into this mess haha. Thank you very much Im will go now to check it out

[QUOTE=Antodne;2148133]Sadly I have only had it since August 8th and no one seems to wanna do anything about it (Lite On) By the time I call them to get a replacement I would have paid for atleast 2 new drives :/…My main concern is really reliability and speed along with a wider format selection. Im not to picky but I would rather rely on you all who know what they are talking about and have had years of experience then trust an advetisement or a salesmen who just wants to sale me something. Thats how I got into this mess haha. Thank you very much Im will go now to check it out[/QUOTE]Unfortunately you can get a lemon from any company so there is no guarantee. The good news is that burners are cheap as dirt so you are not out a lot of money.

I was a Lite On fan for a while but I noticed that they were much noisier than some of my other drives and I had a couple fail myself so now I avoid the brand.

The NEC I bought is whisper quiet and has been good so far.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I’ve had great luck with Newegg.

Do you know if you need a P-ATA or S-ATA drive?

Thanks Lakedude for your response. I use SATA all the way. I agree was a total fan of liteon products although the noise didnt bother me. I choose drives based on reliablity and features. The more formats it can read/write the better. I shouldnt be so hard on Liteon its agravating being you put your trust in products and BOOOM they diee before there time. I was looking at a Sony but like I said I want it to read an write as much format as possible. I really havent heard to much about NEC drives and I usually use Tiger Direct (<—not an advertisement) because shipping is quicker for where I live… But if you can pop me a link or two about where to start looking I will be glad to check it out and any other manufacters you think will suit me. Thanks again for your reply.

If you can still find one, a Samsung 203x (SATA) or Pioneer 215 (SATA) would be my picks.

I have the (IDE) Pioneer 115D and a Sammy 203N myself, both great drives. :slight_smile:

Thank you… Im am looking right now while reading the millions of posts here trying to decide. ARG hard to believe buy a DVD drive is harder than building a PC. I have done one now working on the other :slight_smile: On the Drives is there a prefix to them like Samsung SH or something?

Yes, the Samsung has an sh on the front…SH-203B or SH-203BLK or SH-203N. Hard to find the 203 series though, and the newer 223 series isn’t liked much around here.

The Pioneer 215’s are also hard to find and have been replaced with the less liked 216 model. Nothing is easy is it? If you are in the US, www.mwave.com still has the 215 listed as being in stock.

The Sammy is SH-S203x (where x is a letter), and the Pioneer is DVR-215 :slight_smile:

Good luck finding either one, but if you manage to hunt one of them down, I’d grab it :slight_smile:

THANKS so much and if I cant find one…I see them now but its like NO ONE has them. lol so any second choices then I will not bother you guys again :slight_smile: Thanks again for all your help. I found the Pioneer at mwave. but its beige ewww. and the sammy is not to be found unless someone is holding out…I dont blame them.

Ok I found a Sammy s223Q from new egg does that apply to the not very liked otions? and what about sony I dont see alot of ppl jumping on there products? Yes it does lol I answered my own question. So what about sony?

The Optiarc 72xx series has gotten some good press around here from users. If you absolutely don’t want the beige 215 at mwave, the Optiarc drives deserve a good look.

I like to 215 personally but according to most places the black faceplate isnt avalable I have a black Ultra grid tower which if you have seen one you should know how nasty that would look I have sony products in home not to mention a PS1 2 and 3 and not yet have any of those broke down Im just hoping there drives work as well. Thanks to all for the help. :slight_smile: I will be around for a long while on my quest for knowledge.

That NEC I mentioned earlier is actually a Sony/NEC/Optiarc. All three brands are the same thing:

http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/

Sony NEC Optiarc Inc., which commenced operation on 3 April 2006, is a joint venture company established by Sony Corporation and NEC Corporation.

Our aim is to become the number one supplier in the optical disc drive industry.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2148492]The Optiarc 72xx series has gotten some good press around here from users. If you absolutely don’t want the beige 215 at mwave, the Optiarc drives deserve a good look.[/QUOTE]

Agreed :iagree:…I forgot to mention the Optiarc 72xx along with the Pio 215/Sammy 203x. :slight_smile:

I can’t Thank you all enough for the help. I have been looking for the Pio and the Sammy BUT to my dismay only one place has it as I mentioned and its beige (I have a black case) :frowning: But I have done some investigating and found that the Optiarc AD-7220S is the one I really want to own. I think its suits my taste better then all I have seen so far with the exception of the sammy and pio. Now there is only one place I found that sells it and its in the UK. Unfortunatly I live in the US. So Im not sure if I should take the step down and get the 7201 or 7200 to just settle or just wait for it to be sold in the US. Either way I found what I wanted thanks to you all. :slight_smile:

Yo Antodne-

The Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200S-0B is a good choice - and at <$30 shipped - how can you go wrong-eh??