DVD Burner & Recorder?

vbimport

I had previously arsked this query at another place and got no response and I am insufficiently-abled in internet searching to perhaps find a more suitable place to ask… so my apologies for being stupid here, using incorrect terms, etc.

Is there a DVD burner (PC-usable) and recorder (VCR-/non-flagged Cable-usable) that sells as one unit and is cheap(er)? …Or a burner that I could easily connect with another cheap piece of hardware to be able to shift my VHS collection onto it?

I would like to finally shift my VHS collection over to DVD and be able to use the same unit to move around computer files too. I know I could buy to seperate units and if that is the most cost-effective - and/or smarter - way to do so I apologize for the inconvenience.

I’d still like the mobility of one unit over two seperate ones… if only to be annoying in my personal preferences.

I’d appreciate any response to this question, but despite having two (low-end and recent) degrees in technical fields I am not technologically saavy - simple analog equipment I’m more used to - so simplistic answers would help here with regards to any possible complicated solutions.

Thank you.

So … you want a standalone DVD recorder that can also be hooked up to a PC to burn.

Never heard of one.
But look here. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1423464
It doesn’t seem to have a video tuner though.

I doubt it is at all an optimal solution though. The two seperate would likely be …
a) Cheaper
b) Better quality burner (in PC at any rate).

External burners are more troublesome than their internal counterparts & generally slower due to interface issues.

Yep, Debro’s right. You might want to also look at getting a PVR (digital video recorder) and a burner for your pc. You can hook some PVRs up directly to a pc and then transfer the recordings.

Considering that my first attempt to respond resulted in my scribing going into the great internet abyss of WTF-ery, I apologize if this is less thought out than that thing that vanished due to time-out error or whatever it is called. (I got an error claiming that I was not signed in, but without signing in I could not write my masterpiece of posting… ah-hah! Logic… a person’s worst friend.)

I appreciate the kindly response and the help.

This is a long and winding exposition… (any admin. problems; my apologies)

My line of reasoning before hitting a snag and bothering to ask the Mighty Smart People was to purchase a tuner/converter - such as the cheap (apx. $50) Kworld USB 2.0 Tv Tuner Adapter (mail-in rebate somewhere) - and then run that into a PC with a burner - such as the INOi DW560U-1600; cheap and versatile external one (I can’t see myself taking apart either our bottom-of-the-line Dell or the older PC we have) - so that I can still transfer my VHS’ over and use it to burn files to store on DVD’s, which have more space on them than my older PC’s hard drive.

There were/are, however, copious problems with this, as a tuner/adapter might: not be recognized as an input, present compression and other a/v quality related problems (though it states 720 x 480 resolution), present tuning and video signal input incompatabilities, alterations to pedestal, iris, hue, saturation levels might be different in conversion, etc. … then there’s the problem with the input from the tuner/adapter, perhaps, needing to go through a computer and all the video/graphics problems that might arise due to the complete lack of bells-n-whistles on my PC.

Of course, as with 99.5% of things in life, I could be wrong and maybe an analog signal can just be input to a computer through a RCA/etc.-to-USB adapter. Honestly I do not know.

Maybe there’s a cheap and versatile DVD burner that will take an input directly as a “live-feed” and I won’t need to worry about running it through a computer? …Maybe this poorly hatched plan will work with other hardware?

Anyways… that was how I thought it through and if this type of option (or exact option; it would be less than $150) still exists I’d prefer it to other routes for now as I do not have $200+ to spend now and video/audio quality is more important to me than a bunch of extra features or writing speeds (for now anyways) with a burner/recorder.

I guess I’m just restating the question in like terms.

I don’t know all that much about this stuff and I apologize if asking this here is inappropriate, and if it is, I would appreciate being pointed in the general direction of a location where I could pester lonely souls with dumb questions about such information as I really should start working on understanding this information.

Thank you.

Um … translation???
It helps if you get to the point. Most people only read the question & then refer back to the rest if they need to check something.
I had to read your post twice to find the questions.

Yes. Sony make a standalone burner (which can also be hooked upto pc for backing up data) which will take a video signal & burn direct for you.
Also, standalone DVD recorders have become very popular recently & you can get many quite cheaply.

Yes, you can pick up cheap PCI (aka internal) TV tuners which do a very good job & don’t have the same problems as your USB tuner.

Hint … take your USB device back. It’s either not working, or you don’t know how to adjust the various properties of the video, aka hue, colour, saturation, brightness & contrast.

debro mentioned Sony stand alone burners and others being popular… if someone could name what exactly I’m looking for here I’d appreciate it.

I know that Firewire is used to move video off of digital video tapes (perhaps analog too) onto a computer… so is this what the input would be?

If so… would anything else be needed besides a VCR and the burner (and tuner)?

Are there any video quality problems with this idea?

Is there a place where I can ask follow-up questions where people would be willing to answer them, or is this an appropriate place?

I aptly apologize to debro for trying to be expository in my limited understandings of the media problems I “assumed” would arise as I just wanted to know if in my first DVD recording device purchase if I could find a cheap solution to using the same device to record information onto a DVD from a computer and VCR/Television. I “assumed” that explaining my level of understanding might aid in any advice granted, as behind any question I have lurks a lot more I would either need to work through or pester someone else with.

For clarification purposes… I never actually purchased any of the equipment listed above and my apologies in not making that perfectly clear.

At this point I assume I have offended debro in some way and I understand that someone who is technologically-inclined can grow impatient with someone who isn’t and they’ve been more than kind with me.

Thank you.

Dude, no offense taken, and I didn’t lose patience, just that the response was rather wordy & didn’t actually tell anyone exactly what you are asking.

The sony I mentioned was sort of what you are looking for. It takes analogue video & writes it straight to DVD.
It also allows you to hook up your PC & use it as a PC DVD writer. It’s kinda unique in that.

Standalone DVD recorders are usually a replacement for a VCR, except that they use DVDR/W instead of a tape. Generally these cannot be hooked upto a PC in any Digital Form.

Many PC’s these days do have analogue outputs on the video & you can take the audio from the your soundcard, but the result will be pretty crappy.

Better off converting everything digitally & writing to a DVD in your PC DVD writer.

Firewire is A Digital streaming technology which gets all your video & audio off a camera and onto your Computers HD. It’s been used for other things now, but that was the original function. I haven’t really seen many standalone recorders which use Firewire to get the video off a camera directly. Not sure why they don’t, it’s be a great idea.

The tuner converts Analogue TV into Digital for you & stores it on the PC’s HD. There will always be slight issues, but software can correct these anyway.
Once it’s on your PC you can do lots of stuff, like add moustaches to your aunts & whatnot.
Then you can use the software to format it & burn it using your burner.

The difference over a PC based solution is that a Standalone cannot easily crop the video, clean up the audio/video, change the hue, saturation / etc.

Standalone = Easy.
PC = More Versatile (but not easy).

Best place is either the “General Hardware” forum or the “Standalone Recorders” forum.

Dude, no offense taken, and I didn’t lose patience, just that the response was rather wordy & didn’t actually tell anyone exactly what you are asking.

The sony I mentioned was sort of what you are looking for. It takes analogue video & writes it straight to DVD.
It also allows you to hook up your PC & use it as a PC DVD writer. It’s kinda unique in that.

Standalone DVD recorders are usually a replacement for a VCR, except that they use DVDR/W instead of a tape. Generally these cannot be hooked upto a PC in any Digital Form.

Many PC’s these days do have analogue outputs on the video & you can take the audio from the your soundcard, but the result will be pretty crappy.

Better off converting everything digitally & writing to a DVD in your PC DVD writer.

Firewire is A Digital streaming technology which gets all your video & audio off a camera and onto your Computers HD. It’s been used for other things now, but that was the original function. I haven’t really seen many standalone recorders which use Firewire to get the video off a camera directly. Not sure why they don’t, it’s be a great idea.

The tuner converts Analogue TV into Digital for you & stores it on the PC’s HD. There will always be slight issues, but software can correct these anyway.
Once it’s on your PC you can do lots of stuff, like add moustaches to your aunts & whatnot.
Then you can use the software to format it & burn it using your burner.

The difference over a PC based solution is that a Standalone cannot easily crop the video, clean up the audio/video, change the hue, saturation / etc.

Standalone = Easy.
PC = More Versatile (but not easy).

Best place is either the “General Hardware” forum or the “Standalone Recorders” forum.

I archive my old VHS tapes onto DVDs, basically for preservation of home movies. My setup is as follows:

1)JVC S-VHS VCR-you can probably get a S-VHS VCR for under $100 now. The reason I did this is to maximize the video output quality. I’m outputting through S-Video cable instead of the traditional RCA cables, which are lower quality. Since S-Video does not carry audio signals, I use traditional RCA cables to carry the audio out.

2)Sony MiniDV Camcorder with S-Video and Firewire connector-you can get one for $300. I make home movies with it, and use it to digitize the streaming audio/video from my S-VHS VCR out to my computer when I am transferring from old VHS movies.

3)Firewire card-I bought it for like $10, install it inside my computer. The firewire cable goes from my camcorder to the firewire card.

4)I use ULead software to capture the video/audio stream and it converts to mpeg file. Then I edit the menus and use ULead to convert to VOBs and then burn the image onto blank DVD-R.

Note: you do not have to have a camcorder, you can buy a video card, but my friend did this route and had difficulty synchronizing the audio with the video signal-it was off.

Hi,

have a look at LG GSA-5169D, if that covers your needs.

Michael

Thank you everyone for you help here, as I greatly appreciate the time anyone took in the aid. I have follow up questions, but I placed them in the appropriate forum.

It seems as though the non-PVR Sony DVDirect VRDVC20 DVD+/-RW DL Standalone DVD Recorder, LG - GSA-5169D, and HP DVD Movie Writer DC3000 (2) fit the bill to a degree, but are either pricey or don’t seem right for the situation.

After mulling through searches with my snail-in-molasses dial-up connection I think the way to go is an external tuner/adapter and external burner (with add. hard drive) - which will be a lot more than I expected to pay, but after I do my non-employment taxes, maybe I’ll have more than expected left over… but that’s my understanding of it; could be convinced otherwise.

Thank you.