DVD Burner questions

Hi…

I have been having quite the problem lately so I thought I would ask all you brilliant experienced members.

Let me give you a quick background and sorry if it’s not too quick.

I use to use just a basic point & shoot digital camera and I was able to save all the photos on a CR-R. I went out and bought a Canon Rebel XTi and have been shooting in RAW format and converting the pictures after using a photoshop like program to TIFF. So now I need more room to store the photographs.

I have a DVD drive, NEC ND-2510A. I never used one so I was trying to copy the files to it. Then I read that to burn photos you need a DVD burning program. Is this true. So I downloaded a NERO trial which really messed my computer up and had to uninstall. But while I had it, it didn’t work either. I talk to NERO support and sent him a file and he said there was a firmware fixer for that model and he sent me the link to the patch. I have not downloaded it because after the NERO fiasco I am afraid to. :slight_smile: So this is where I am now.

Has anyone had a problem like this? All I want to to be able to put as many pictures on a DVD as possible.

thanks
Melissa

There are free burning programs out there. Try Burrrn, Burnatonce, CDBurnerXP Pro, ImgBurn.

Thanks! I’ll check them out.

Your ND-2510A is an older generation DVD burner which will not recognize most currently available blank media without updating to the latest firmware. Look under “Optical Drives” and download the applicable version: http://www.nec.com/global/support/downloads/index.html

I would stick with ImgBurn as far as free burning programs, not to pollute your Windows installation any further after the Nero problems. You’ll have to use the “Build Mode” to make an ISO image of the pictures for burning.

[quote=Cressida;1930651]Your ND-2510A is an older generation DVD burner which will not recognize most currently available blank media without updating to the latest firmware. Look under “Optical Drives” and download the applicable version: http://www.nec.com/global/support/downloads/index.html

I would stick with ImgBurn as far as free burning programs, not to pollute your Windows installation any further after the Nero problems. You’ll have to use the “Build Mode” to make an ISO image of the pictures for burning.[/quote]

Thanks. I actually tried to update the firmware and I get the error message “Target drive is not found” so now I am totally stumped. Is it time to buy an external drive?:eek:

[QUOTE=slytrans69;1930634]There are free burning programs out there. Try Burrrn, Burnatonce, CDBurnerXP Pro, ImgBurn.[/QUOTE]

also add InfraRecorder to that list. it’s free and even though i never burned anything with it… it appears it is probably better than CDBurnerXP is.

it loads up real fast and dont require that crappy .net stuff to run :wink:

p.s. im a pretty big fan of ImgBurn & Burrrn myself :wink:

[QUOTE=MsDube;1930665]Thanks. I actually tried to update the firmware and I get the error message “Target drive is not found” so now I am totally stumped. Is it time to buy an external drive?:eek:[/QUOTE]

There’s two official NEC firmwares for this drive (depending on the model no. as shown on the label). The latest versions, as you can see from the link provided above, are 2.19 (GEN) and 2.0A (GNPF). You must stay within the same firmware series to avoid this error message. Another possibility is that your drive has OEM firmware (HP, Dell, etc.), in which case you can check your PC manufacturer’s website for an update, but they’re not likely to have the latest equivalent of NEC’s own firmware. There is a way to update from OEM to official NEC firmware if you wish to do so (note this will void your warranty, unless it has expired by now). If you can confirm the current firmware version of your drive, we can assist you with updating.

Thanks Cressida…I just checked the device manager and it’s a 2.0

I really appreciate your help!

Melissa

No problem, that’s what we do here :slight_smile:

There should be another digit at the end 2.0[B]x[/B]? If so, you should be able to update to 2.0A - there’s instructions provided in the download on the European servers. Don’t let all the warnings scare you too much, it’s easy to do (if in doubt, just ask).

Okey dokey…it’s 2.0T…so would I look on the NEC website for the update for that version?

Oops, that looks like an OEM firmware after all (the official NEC series is 2.01, 2.02, 2.03, 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 2.07 and 2.0A). What’s the make of your PC and which blank DVD’s are you using (make & rated speed)?

If you wish to update, you’ll have to go to Liggy and Dee’s page and use Binflash (Win32 GUI). “Original NEC 2510 firmware 2.0A” [B]Orig.[/B] should be fine to start with. Note what I said about warranty and you must be 100% sure your drive is a NEC ND-2510A before doing this.

My PC is a eMachine using windows xp. I have tried Sony DVD-R and Memorex DVD-R as well.

Sony is 1X-16X and Mem is 16X

Yup, for 16X rated discs I think you’ll need to flash with 2.0A. I’m sure it seems a bit overwhelming if you haven’t done this before, but it’s a necessary evil. Take your time reading the instructions for Binflash, tomorrow is another day. :slight_smile:

LOL…yes, Cressida tomorrow looks good for getting entangled in my system.

Yesterdays horror is still with me. Downloaded a NERO 8 Trial at noon and my computer would not work at all. It’s our business computer so I was scared…with Quickbooks and all kinds of important stuff. Went to the gym at 5:00 and still couldn’t think straight or enjoy myself. No matter what I did I could not uninstall it and and the cpu usage was at 100% and soooooo slow. Hubby finally deleted something in task manager and then we were able to delete NERO. So you can see why I am a bit gunshy. haha

Thanks for all the help and I’ll let you know what happens…

Melissa

I’ll set your mind at ease still: Binflash GUI Tutorial :slight_smile: - Not sure what went wrong with Nero there but Good Luck and don’t hesitate to ask if needed. I’m off for now. :flower:

Just to add in on the DVD burner software, I have got paid for copies of Nero and other things, but I use ImgBurn and CD-Speed to do all of my burns with now. I dont even have anything else installed on my newer computers.

I make the image with ImgBurn and use that or CD-Speed to write to the media. IMHO you dont need to pay for software to make good burns.

Kudos to Eric and LUK for such good software :bow: