DVD burner now CD burner only?

[qanda]This thread is about the NEC DVD RW ND-3550. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have the NEC DVD RW ND-3550. It was working fine for 3 years until yesterday…

Now when I put a blank DVD+R disc in, and when the pop-up comes up giving me options of what to do, there are no DVD options anymore. It just shows it as CD Drive and only gives me CD options such as Burn CD using RealPlayer, Burn CD using Nero SmartStart, OPen writable CD folder using Windows Explorer, Burn an audio CD using Windows Media Player and Take no action. NO DVD options are present anymore. I click cancel - as I always do - and startup my DVD Shrink - again, as I always do. Go through the process of burning a DVD and it errors out now.

Basically it seems as if I have lost all DVD functions but the system is seeing it now only as a CD burner and not a DVD burner.

I’ve tried restoring my PC back to previous restore points to where I know it was working but the same thing happens.

I also uninstalled the DVD burner via the hardware manager and then let Windows redetect it and install it. No go there either.

I’ve not made any hardware changes to the computer nor installed any new software other than when I plugged my new cellphone up to it. It found new hardware and did its thing to allow my phone… but no disc based software was installed. Even when I did this last week, the DVD burner still worked.

Any ideas? Help?

Thanks for your time and input.

-Jody

That is normal for Windows XP. Native DVD burning is non-existant with XP unless you use a third party app.
If you take the DVD out of the drive it should go back to saying DVD-RW.

It’s never been normal before. It’s - for 3 years - given me DVD options. Now I get no DVD options and it errors out upon burning of the DVD through 3rd party apps. After 3 years, I suddenly can’t burn any DVDs anymore. Something is wrong.

Hi,

can you still read DVD discs?
Additionally, you might try in safe mode.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2238171]Hi,

can you still read DVD discs?
Additionally, you might try in safe mode.

Michael[/QUOTE]

No, it won’t even read a DVD. I have another optical drive as well, the slave, an ASUS DVD Rom and it will read and play DVDs fine but the NEC DVD burner, the master, won’t read them, play them, or burn them.

Hi,[QUOTE=sourbear;2238272]No, it won’t even read a DVD. I have another optical drive as well, the slave, an ASUS DVD Rom and it will read and play DVDs fine but the NEC DVD burner, the master, won’t read them, play them, or burn them.[/QUOTE]Then it seems as if the DVD laser part of the drive went bad.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2238400]Hi,Then it seems as if the DVD laser part of the drive went bad.

Michael[/QUOTE]

No, it reads and burns audio CDs fine so nothing should be wrong with the laser.

[QUOTE=sourbear;2238160]It’s never been normal before. It’s - for 3 years - given me DVD options. Now I get no DVD options and it errors out upon burning of the DVD through 3rd party apps. After 3 years, I suddenly can’t burn any DVDs anymore. Something is wrong.[/QUOTE]

Read the answer already given. :flower:

[QUOTE=sourbear;2238410]No, it reads and burns audio CDs fine so nothing should be wrong with the laser.[/QUOTE]

Wrong, there are 2 lopticals inside.

[QUOTE=chef;2238465]Wrong, there are 2 lopticals inside.[/QUOTE]

I took it out and put it in another computer and tested it. No problems with the burner as it’s working fine in the other computer. This issue is something in Windows, not with the burner itself.

Try doing a system restore back to the last time you know for a fact it was working properly. Something may have changed in your system between then and now.

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2239461]Try doing a system restore back to the last time you know for a fact it was working properly. Something may have changed in your system between then and now.[/QUOTE]

As I said in my very first post: I’ve tried restoring my PC back to previous restore points to where I know it was working but the same thing happens.

Thanks though.

Then go into devicemanager & delete the drive entry, then restart.

[QUOTE=chef;2239800]Then go into devicemanager & delete the drive entry, then restart.[/QUOTE]

As I said in my very first post: I also uninstalled the DVD burner via the hardware manager and then let Windows redetect it and install it. No go there either.

I thought it was a given that I restarted so Windows could redetect. Sorry I left that out.

Thanks though. Any other troubleshooting?

Oh well, my new LG external burner via Geeks.com just arrived by FedEx and all is well in burning land. I guess I’ll leave the NEC in the computer I got it to work on. Of course, if you know of any solutions, feel free to post. From what I can tell via a Google search, I’m not the only person having this issue with their DVD burner.