DVD burner issues (bad firmware?)

vbimport

Hi there!
I’ve searched Google, and this site was one to come up. I searched here for some similar problems, but the solutions don’t seem to work.

Let me try to explain what I am having trouble with:
I have a Sony Vaio desktop (VGC-RA822G) that came with Win MCE 2002.
Unrelated to this, my teacher told us about a program on PBS that deals specifically with what we’re learning. I set up Media Center to record the show, and tried to burn it onto DVD to give to my teacher.

However, in both Media Center and Click to DVD (another program that came with the OS) I cannot fully burn or finalize a disc. At first I was getting a “Error: 1536” and found that it might be the firmware.

Having found that the DVD drive was actually a rebranded one (LiteOn SOHW-1633S), I found an update and seemingly flashed it. However, even with this update, I can’t burn a disc to completion.

As well, when I place or have a DVD in the drive, it will show up as “CD Drive” rather than “DVD-RW Drive”, unless the drive is empty (no disc in tray).

I would really like to get this working, as I told my teacher I would try to get this to her by next class.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give!

You can go into device manger and uninstall the burner and then reboot and let windows find it and reinstall it and make sure it’s in the DMA mode not PIO :bigsmile:

Welcome to CDFreaks Forum, I am wondering did you reboot your computer after you flashed your DVD burner with upgrade firmware. if yes then do what previous poster suggested and report back to us the result. In case if problem remain will follow the solution further.

Why can’t i copy the good shepherd with dvd platinum 3.0.9.8

Thanks for the welcome!
I checked and it is “DMA if available”. I uninstalled and rebooted. Windows found it as “CD Drive”, but it’s called DVD RW Burner again like before. I’m trying to burn the same thing again now. I’ll let you know if it was successful or not.

Thanks again for all the help! I’ll reply within a few hours.

I was able to copy it just fine using FAB 3.0.9.8, If you go to the FAB Forum and give more information about what was going on then someone there can help you :bigsmile:

Well glad you got it straightened out so far also one thing your burner should be showing Ultra DMA4 Mode now, good luck and happy burning :bigsmile:

Oh, I haven’t gotten it straightened out, not yet anyway, haha.
It (MCE) still goes to about 85% and just stops. The same thing is happening as before, even after uninstalling the drive. Windows for some reason has it show as CD Drive rather than DVD RW Drive whenever I have a DVD-R in there.

I’m not sure what the FAB forum is, though.

The FAB Forum was for the other thread, the guy who couldn’t copy a movie with DVDFAB, What type of media are you using

If you want the FAB forum here it is :

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116

You can also try to rip with DVD Shrink and burn it with ImagBurn or Nero programs and see what the results are.

Okay I just put a blank DVD in my burner and it also showed CD Drive and without a disk in it, it shows DVD-RW and my burners work flawless so that isn’t a problem so what software are you using to try and burn with?

TCAS Thanks for the link :slight_smile:

tyohusyo: IMO I think that maybe you ought to get another burning software ( there are several free ones out there) and try reburning it with one of those unless TCAS has any other ideas, sorry

Have you read the Forum Rules?
You’re problem doesn’t have anything to do with the original poster.
And the answers to your questions are confusing him/her

Thanks for your post as I didn’t think about it as I was trying to help tyohusyo and it did sidetrack me a little :confused:

OK, I just downloaded Imageburn, so hopefully the problem I said in the Original Post will be fixed?

Any suggestions for converting a dvr-ms file into a iso so I can burn a video DVD for this class (which happens to be tomorrow, haha).

I 00:53:03 Source File Application Identifier: NERO BURNING ROM
I 00:53:03 Source File Implementation Identifier: AHEAD Nero
I 00:53:03 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
I 00:53:03 Destination Device: [1:0:0] SONY DVD RW DW-D22A BYS2 (D:) (ATA)
I 00:53:03 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: ProdiscF02) (Speeds: 1x, 2x, 4x)
I 00:53:03 Destination Media Sectors: 2,298,496
I 00:53:03 Write Mode: DVD
I 00:53:03 Write Type: DAO
I 00:53:03 Write Speed: 4x
I 00:53:03 Link Size: Auto
I 00:53:03 Test Mode: No
I 00:53:03 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 00:53:04 Filling Buffer… (40 MB)
I 00:53:06 Writing LeadIn…
W 00:53:06 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format
W 00:53:06 Retrying (1 of 20)…
W 00:53:06 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

E 00:53:17 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format
I 00:53:17 Synchronising Cache…
E 00:53:18 Failed to Write Image!
E 00:53:18 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:15
I 00:53:18 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

So I’m taking it that this is the DVD media I bought rather than the burner itself? Can anyone verify if my guess is correct?

Also, I want to thank everybody who has posted for their help, it’s meant alot to me.

UPDATE!
Happy news: For those with a sony dw-d22a (or liteon SOHW-1633S). It seems Verbatim DVDs work great to burn. Brands that do not burn are Memorex and FujiFilm

Thats great glad to hear that, you will find that some burners just don’t like some brands of media and most burning issues are caused by the media they are using so stick with TY’s or Verbs and you will get good quality burns :bigsmile: