DVD Burner Isn't Quite Working

Hello all…this is my first post here and I’m in need of some help.

First off let me list the specs…

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
Laptop Model: Dell Inspiron 1545
RAM: 3GB
Processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
Drive: TSSTcorp DVD±RW TS-L633B

I have a few problems occurring with this drive that are confusing me a bit.

Firstly whenever I insert a blank DVD, the drive reads it as a blank CD. The current media I have are DVD+R discs…I know it’s suggested you use DVD-R discs, but these were all I had laying around. I don’t think that that should make a difference though, should it?

Secondly it doesn’t show up in Nero or DVD Decrypter as a usable drive to burn with. The only program it shows up as a drive capable of burning in is Roxio Creator DE, which came preinstalled on the system. I did get DVD Decrypter to recognize it, but I had to go into the I/O tab in Settings and change the interface it used from “ASAPI - ASAPI.DLL” to “Patin-Couffin - VSO Software” interface, but I sort of did this while randomly tinkering in an effort to fix the issue. When the program did finally recognize the drive, it gave me an error stating:

DeviceIoControl[DIOC_IOCD_LOCKDEV] Failed!
Device: [0:1:0] TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L633B D400 (D:)
Unable to lock volume for exclusive access.
Reason: Incorrect function.

Upon loading the software, the log also listed a weird error:

01:47:00 Initialising Patin-Couffin...
01:47:00 Patin-Couffin - VSO Software - Version 1.37.0.0 - Internal Revision 37
01:47:00 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
01:47:00 CreateFile Failed! - Device: '\\.\D:'
01:47:00 Reason: The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded.
01:47:00 Found 1 DVD-RAM/±RW!

I’m not sure what in the world is wrong with the drive, I get the inability to lock error every time I go to burn cds or dvds…I’m thinking that the only thing that may be interfering is Nero BurnRights as far as the locking issue goes, but I’m still baffled as to why it won’t show up in DVD Decrypter or Nero in the first place.

If you guys could help me out with this I would be deeply appreciative, thanks in advance!

Michael

EDIT: Uninstalled Nero and I got the same locking error…so that idea’s out the window I guess…no surprise there though, it was something of a layman’s idea.

You have a VIRUS…! Run a virus scanner.

Are you sure? I just got this thing a few months ago and I rarely use it…I’ll give it a shot and hopefully this will be the cause and the confusion can end, updates soon…

The part of your log that says the maximum number of secrets, etc., is the virus.

Yeah, I had a heck of a time getting rid of the virus, but it’s gone now…two trojans and some weird app from “ColdWare”

Thanks for pointing that out to me, I’m pretty good w/ computers and I’m ashamed that I overlooked something this obvious. I guess arrogance always gets the best of us though eh? Either way thanks a ton man.

disregard. sorry.