DVD Burner install

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GH22NP. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello,
I recently replaced a shot drive with a LG GH22NP20 DVD-Ram drive. However in WinXPMCSP3 it is not recognised as a DVD writer. When a blank DVD is inserted the icon changes from DVD to CD-ROM and there is no way of burning a disk. I can read DVD’s fine.

Yes, I have tried the connections. (80pin IDE and power)
Yes, I have the jumper on master. The LG is the only drive connected on IDE. HD is on SATA.
Yes I have uninstalled the CD driver and the IDE driver and I did it in safe mode the second time just in case…
Yes, I tried the 3 Microsoft fixes, the high and low filter thing, another reg thing and something else too.
Yes I have tried different blank DVD’s +R -R RW …
Oh and Yes I’ve updated the firmware to 1.02

What is next for me? Maybe there is a cunning tickbox I have neglected somewhere?

Thank-you for any input. I have read quite a few posts in the forum on this subject. Maybe I have missed the essential one please point me in the right direction.

Quinkink.

When a blank DVD is inserted the icon changes from DVD to CD-ROM

That’s common and expected behavior in XP. Have you actually tried to burn a DVD and with what?

Hi thx for the reply,
Yes I have actually tried to burn a DVD…

with Nero essentials 7.11.03.0
…the DVD burner doesn’t even show up.

with Power ISO 3.6
…the DVD burner doesn’t show up either but also somehow :
… Error verifying blank media
…Media detect failed or no media in the drive.

any other ideas welcome,
Quinkink

with Nero essentials 7.11.03.0
…the DVD burner doesn’t even show up.

Fire up Nero Info tool and see if it lists your burner correctly.

There is another poster experiencing similar problems with this same drive.

What chipset is your MOBO using?

There also appears to be quite a few comments like this floating around:

[I]I have the same issue. The current fix is uninstalling Service Pack 3. I
tried a multitude of Microsoft fixes, but none of them work. Both of my DVD
drives are not recognizing the presents of media. I am using a Samsung DVD
drive and a Sony DVD RW.[/I]

I guess there is some piece of 3rd party software installed, which is incompatible with SP3.

Hi,
Thanks again for the replies…
I’m sure posting on forums is some kind of therapy it must kind of help me get my ideas straight and feel less alone…

Being systematic here is what I just tried…
MyComputer>Properties HardwareTab etc… uninstall DVD-RAM
Shutdown.
Swapped new DVD-RAM for old.
Reboot
uninstalled old DVD-ROM drive
Shutdown
Swapped old for new
Reboot
Recognized in Nero… and burning away.

What made me think of this… well I seemed to remember uninstalling the old drive but maybe you know with the excitement and all… Then after my last post I scanned the registry searching for “CDROM” and kept finding all these references to the old DVDROM and some to the new… so I thought I’d try the ‘uninstall’ just in case… and well only time will tell …

Does anyone have the tech explanation for this? I would have thought the new drive would just overwrite the stuff in the registry. Crazy assumptions I guess.

See you around,
Quinkink.

Hi,[QUOTE=Quinkink;2221665]I would have thought the new drive would just overwrite the stuff in the registry. Crazy assumptions I guess.
[/QUOTE]No, new drives are just added to the registry. Which isn’t a bad thing since there are also removable drives (laptop with drive bay, USB drives) around.

I guess, something went confused in your registry. Good you got it sorted. :clap:

Michael