DVD Burner Help!

vbimport

Im using a Sony DRU-800A
It worked fine the other day when I burned DVD but today I wasted like 6 DVD-R trying to backup a movie.
The DVD movie is NOT protected
Im using Nero but when it burns, the buffer level doesnt stay at 100% it skips like 90%-98% or it spikes to under 20%. I used other software but it didnt seem to do anything. Can someone please help me?? thx it advance

Is the dvd scratched ?? Are you using good brand name media?? Maybe a little info on your machine. The buffer level going up and down is okay.

no the dvd is scratch-free im using memorex dvd-r. pent4 2ghz. 763 mb ram, 240gb hd. it worked fine the other day tho??? do u think my dvd burner is messed up??? i burnt like 8 dvd the other day all at once

burning 8 dvds the other day would NOT be a problem. Did you install anything new in the last few days. Its hard to figure out what exactly is going on. Your computer specs are good. I think you should try a different dvd to copy or try to copy the one your having problems on a friends machine -just to see if that dvd is damaged in some way. Are you using the latest Nero. ?? Are you sure this dvd is not copy protected in some way??

@ tiemyshoe
Have you defragged your HDD lately? A fragmented source file can lead to buffer underruns. Doing a lot of burning as you have done along with adding and/or deleting large files can quickly lead to a defragged HDD.

What do you mean by ‘wasted discs’? Did you scan them to see what kind of burn quality they had, or would they just not be readable?

You can check your burn results with Kprobe 2.4.3 BLER scans(scanned at 4x scan speed the forum standard for comparison). You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans to find out what these graphs mean. PI/PO is now referred to as PI/PIF. Roughly, PImax<280; PIFmax<4. Attaching disc quality scans to your post of the offending discs will help us help you.

i wasted 8 discs because the burning process failed. i tried many different brands. but im gonna give it a shot defragging my HD. its proably gonna take 12 hours :eek:

but why would i have to defrag my HD if im directly copying a DVD to a source?? im not using any HD space for temporary files

Therein lies your problem. The best way to copy any dvd is to copy to hard drive first, then copy to dvd from hd. You will have far less problems with sync, and coasters by doing it this way.

well, it worked perfectly the other day when i burn directly of source but it stopped working